Build Threads

2010 G37xS 7AT Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 03:18 AM
Coltrane1
Premier Member

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
2010 G37xS 7AT Sedan

So it begins...Ignoring that nagging voice, that never ceases in my head, experiencing some apprehension about tampering with a G AWD sedan, today I've thrown caution to the wind - No guts, no glory.

2010 Graphite Shadow higher mileage AWD G. A former traveling salesman's car, 114k - Amazingly the car still feels tight...already owning a 2008 G35x since new, and stock, I decided to acquire a 2nd G to tinker with...yeah, that's it.

Hanging out on the forum since acquiring the '10 last week, and undecided just yet about springs, and or coilovers, and wheels, I somehow instinctively followed that voice which said - Hey, check craig's for some used 19" 370Z wheels.

No luck - But there was an ad from a guy who apparently acquired a set of Forgestar CF10's and new Nitto Invo's for his G37 sedan 5k ago - He'd sold his G two weeks ago. In all my life, some 30 plus cars/trucks, and a heckuva lot more years than I care to remember, have I ever considered buying used wheels/tires....well, aside from the set that came attached to my first ride, a '56 Chevy. But this combo checked out, complete with the buyers original purchase receipt - just last year the combo had set him back some $2800 - New

Being further incentivized by a sellers discount, I wondered, hmm perhaps every used car deserves used rims/tires?

Seller and I agree to meet at Les Schwab, who for a price, agreed to do the wheel swap.

Since I'm keeping the duckfeet, for winters, at the shops suggestion I opted to install Schrader 33500 TPMS "EZ Sensors" - programmable at 315/314.9/433MHz

$245 for the set? - Okay, not so "easy" on the wallet I thought...Having never replaced sensors and having no idea what OEM sensors cost I agreed to the Schrader's. Returning home I would later discover Amazon has them for $43 each, but Les is warranting them for an additional year.

New Black tuner lugs and hex key, a $26 per wheel swap, and an additional $403 later it's duck feet no more.

setup:

Forgestar CF 10
Nitto Invo
F: 19x9 - 245/40/19 ET35
R: 19x10 - 275/35/19 ET41

With a stock suspension and departing Les with a shorter sidewall than I'd arrived with, I anticipated a slightly taller wheel height gap...but not this gap. Okay, I'm now offically incentivized to place more money into the pit for springs and/or coilover's sooner than anticipated. Feel free to tell me now that this is the part where like my first Boxer named Humphrey I begin to get owned...this time, by a CAR ....it's okay, I've been here before...I can handle it.

Should I leave out the part where 10 miles from last viewing my new friend Les in the rear view mirror, and at highway speed he sent me a hello - via the G's dash with first a wink, and then 2 minutes later a sustained TPMS light...which of course remains...Hmmm....not so EZ a TPMS after all?

Regarding today...I really didn't want to watch that NCAA tournament game anyway...I mean heck, I've reached the age where I'd much rather spend some solo bonding time with a new to me ride.

Regarding the ride...Thanks to blnewt for guiding me via the forum on this tire/wheel size setup. Driving off the lot it literally felt like I drove to LS with 1 car and drove home with a car I'd never driven...this G was unlike any G I've ever driven...this G was somehow stuck to the road...the suspension felt tighter, stiffer, more responsive...so far, I'm liking this change - a lot.

Next up...To Swift, or not to Swift, that is the question.

4give the iPhone pix...left the Nikon at home

1 week ago - the 2nd owner am I
Name:  00a0a_c7jHM0rkRfO_1200x900_zpsjtjqn4qs.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  251.5 KB

new rule - a sport is not a sport when it's preceded by an X
Name:  00b0b_jJ8uQnbrYxP_1200x900_zpslygntrmc.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  193.8 KB

after 114k can a duck get a rest?
Name:  2010_infiniti_g37-pic-9221200317629136899-1024x768_zpslmsksfgi.jpeg
Views: 90
Size:  239.5 KB

not so "ez" is holding a secret
Name:  Schader%20TPMS_zpsvmnl9mfr.jpeg
Views: 78
Size:  41.3 KB

let's get this party started
Name:  IMG_0592_zpsliup3nlw.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  773.9 KB

extra meat
Name:  IMG_0597_zpslipvvl13.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  1.05 MB

les lot1
Name:  IMG_0605_zpsusu1lavs.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  1.79 MB

les lot2
Name:  IMG_0606_zpszgtwcoxm.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  1.91 MB

anyone have a step lift they can loan?
Name:  IMG_0613_zpst0bkiovg.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  1.72 MB

Rear
Name:  IMG_0657_zpslmn6jbhd.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  1.25 MB

Front

and of course no car trip could ever occur without that obligatory stop for a walk by the neighborhood lake...demanded of course, by Humphrey4...H....uh we're here H.
Name:  117a8b9d-2089-47f2-bc42-4524823e6272_zpsfobjgl91.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  215.8 KB

Maynard in the '08
Name:  Maynard_zps967ec55f.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  78.6 KB

Okay, I returned home higher than when I left...but she's absolutely positively much more fun to drive now.

Last edited by Coltrane1; 03-19-2017 at 03:29 AM.
Old 03-19-2017, 07:48 PM
GetYourWheels
Former Sponsor

Received 104 Likes on 95 Posts
wow, new setup looks fantastic!
The following users liked this post:
Coltrane1 (03-20-2017)
Old 03-19-2017, 10:27 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Great looking wheel set for that G, dogs are awesome too!
You'll really like the way the drop will make it all come together.
Look forward to seeing this progress.
Coltrane1 (03-20-2017)
Old 03-20-2017, 02:15 AM
Coltrane1
Premier Member

It's been a fun day driving around Puget Sound from morning 'til sunset with what seemed like a new car

Name:  DSCF8991_zpskcj6zbuw.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  2.84 MB

Name:  DSCF8996_zpsrcgiubfa.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  3.02 MB

Name:  DSCF8980_zpsgunb4eog.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  2.45 MB

Name:  DSCF8889_zpsmjec6g51.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  3.75 MB

Name:  DSCF8924_zpsbem0423t.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  3.76 MB

Name:  DSCF9034_zpshohkxijb.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  3.16 MB

Name:  DSCF9030_zps3mt5dkag.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  2.24 MB

Name:  DSCF9074_zpsv0vlcuku.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  2.73 MB

Name:  DSCF9092_zpsbxkctict.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  3.07 MB
Old 03-20-2017, 08:29 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
When looking out your driver's side-view mirror as you drive, do you see the rear wheel/tire? Because you really shouldn't. Car looks great, but will look better lowered 1.5", closing the gap to a reasonable consistency, and pulling in that rear poke.

Swift lowering springs on the AWD Sedan... least intrusive, least expensive drop-mod available for your car.

Cute dogs.
Old 03-20-2017, 05:06 PM
Coltrane1
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
When looking out your driver's side-view mirror as you drive, do you see the rear wheel/tire? Because you really shouldn't. Car looks great, but will look better lowered 1.5", closing the gap to a reasonable consistency, and pulling in that rear poke.

Swift lowering springs on the AWD Sedan... least intrusive, least expensive drop-mod available for your car.

Cute dogs.
Thank you. No, I can't see the rear tire from the drivers mirror. While I'd prefer the flexibility of height adjustment that comes with a coilover I'm leaning towards the Swift coils but only because I'd prefer to keep the ride comfortable.

Everything I've read here on the forum suggest the most I could expect from Swift coils is a 1" drop in the rear. Obviously that won't present the visual drop I'd prefer. If there is a coilover that allows a further drop for AWD applications without compromising ride or AWD I've yet to discover it, and I'm very open to suggestions.
Old 03-20-2017, 05:16 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Originally Posted by Coltrane1
Obviously that won't present the visual drop I'd prefer.
Oh, I bet it will. And given that your rear poke is minimal, I suspect it will pull that top-of-tire into the fender close to perfect.

g'luck
Old 03-20-2017, 05:25 PM
Coltrane1
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
Oh, I bet it will. And given that your rear poke is minimal, I suspect it will pull that top-of-tire into the fender close to perfect.

g'luck
Oh really! Thanks for that bit of encouragement. It needs some "pulling."

Name:  DSCF8961_zpskj31ovzw.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  3.90 MB
Old 03-20-2017, 05:36 PM
gavingw

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Nice start for sure.

If you are looking for something minor that may affect the overall look. Springs as already referenced, or a set of coil overs depending on how much of a pit you are wanting to turn this car into or what your end goal is, as they allow for much more fine tuning than springs would.

As much as I may get shot for saying thing, if it's done right a very thin layer of night shade on the tail lights barely affects the light output of the tail lights (which is already brighter than most vehicles anyways) makes the tail lights blend in with the gray of the car more. The second option is to open them up and paint the inside.

Secondly, you may want to consider vinyl wrapping the chrome to black or to match your wheels.

I attached a couple pictures for you to see how it looked when I got mine done.

I also can't talk enough about how big of a change sway bars did. I personally had went with Hotchkiss
Attached Thumbnails 2010 G37xS 7AT Sedan-2017-03-20-16_27_39-gavin-gauthier-wiebe-gavingwiebe-o-instagram-photos-and-videos.jpg   2010 G37xS 7AT Sedan-2017-03-20-16_28_24-gavin-gauthier-wiebe-gavingwiebe-o-instagram-photos-and-videos.jpg  
Old 03-21-2017, 03:48 PM
Coltrane1
Premier Member

Originally Posted by gavingw
Nice start for sure.

If you are looking for something minor that may affect the overall look. Springs as already referenced, or a set of coil overs depending on how much of a pit you are wanting to turn this car into or what your end goal is, as they allow for much more fine tuning than springs would.

As much as I may get shot for saying thing, if it's done right a very thin layer of night shade on the tail lights barely affects the light output of the tail lights (which is already brighter than most vehicles anyways) makes the tail lights blend in with the gray of the car more. The second option is to open them up and paint the inside.

Secondly, you may want to consider vinyl wrapping the chrome to black or to match your wheels.

I attached a couple pictures for you to see how it looked when I got mine done.

I also can't talk enough about how big of a change sway bars did. I personally had went with Hotchkiss
Thank you for replying. Yes, I considered buying Hotchkis sways first. I'm going to acquire the Springs first, and if they don't drop it enough to my liking then I'll investigate combining them with a coilover. However, ride is of primary importance to me to, so I have to consider what I'm giving up in ride comfort to gain 2 inches more of drop.

I'm new to this, and I'd hate to spend $2k for coilover's and whatever additional parts needed, plus labor to install everything and in the end be dissatisfied with the ride.

However, I love the look of all the lowered G's I've seen here. And of course I particularly love the look of your Graphite G! Any more photos? Is your G lowered with coilover's? Your drop looks fabulous!
Old 03-21-2017, 04:16 PM
gavingw

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Coltrane1
Thank you for replying. Yes, I considered buying Hotchkis sways first. I'm going to acquire the Springs first, and if they don't drop it enough to my liking then I'll investigate combining them with a coilover. However, ride is of primary importance to me to, so I have to consider what I'm giving up in ride comfort to gain 2 inches more of drop.

I'm new to this, and I'd hate to spend $2k for coilover's and whatever additional parts needed, plus labor to install everything and in the end be dissatisfied with the ride.

However, I love the look of all the lowered G's I've seen here. And of course I particularly love the look of your Graphite G! Any more photos? Is your G lowered with coilover's? Your drop looks fabulous!
No problem at all, happy to help with any questions you may have.

If you look through my instagram, @gavingwiebe I have a lot of photos posted on there from last summer. I was running about 2 inches lower for summer then an inch lower for winter. The picture I posted previously was before the coils settled.

I was running BC BR coils, which had quite a stiff ride. However, I've heard its a nice and day difference with the swift spring upgrade they offer which makes it feel nearly like stock stiffness, with the benefit of being low. I personally don't have experience with springs. However, I would say that anything over an inch will most likely need camber and toe arms to be brought back to OEM spec for the alignment, so keep that in mind for total cost. If all your doing is wanting an inch drop, you may be able to get away with just changing the springs, but keep and eye on the shocks and struts as there is some additional pressure being put on them.

My summer setup was 20x9+32 w/245/35/20 and 20x10.5+45 w/285/30/20 and winter 19x9+25 w/245/40/19, if you end up being curious after looking through the photos.
Coltrane1 (03-21-2017)