Build Threads

The "4 door Z" build (4DRZ)- 13 G37S 6spd sedan

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2018, 10:31 AM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
Congrats on the baby man!

My wife hates the ride in my car because its too "bumpy" for her, but I took my son home from the hospital in it and to this day he only cries or yells in it when the car isn't moving, oh and the wide opening of the rear doors makes the G super baby friendly. The only things I did do to the car to make it more baby friendly were to remove the CD changer from the trunk and put in the non-cd changer upper liner so the stroller fits in easier with other baby junk. Also more recently I tinted the windows to keep the sun out of the baby's eyes.

RE: the FSTB, I won't wade into the performance aspect of it, but for what its worth, I will say that in my experience a surprising amount of maintenance on this car requires removing the bar or at least one side making it a PITA.

I used to care about it cosmetically, but now mine is all scratched up from me jamming a pry bar into one side to unload it so I can get it out of the way to do basic stuff, the only reason I do keep it is because I do notice a difference in driving when its not on...it may be mild, but i notice it..
The following users liked this post:
4DRZ (07-14-2018)
Old 07-09-2018, 02:19 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Thanks again for all the advice on the new baby girl coming our way in early November. I am surprised to hear a number of you say the bumpier ride is not necessarily a bad thing. Maybe I will just keep my suspension, especially since Splitter takes forever to get back to me about his KW.
Old 07-09-2018, 02:31 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
I am surprised to hear a number of you say the bumpier ride is not necessarily a bad thing.
Makes all kinds of sense when you think about it. All the baby knows is a loud, bumpy experience before birth.
Old 07-10-2018, 05:25 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
Makes all kinds of sense when you think about it. All the baby knows is a loud, bumpy experience before birth.
Good point. That does make sense.
Old 07-11-2018, 11:01 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

If you don't ever detail your engine bay, I suppose you won't need to remove the FSTB. Fair point. But when you do have that need, you're going to regret not having a simple two-bolt design.
Looks like there is plenty of clearance underneath the Alutec strut tower brace for cleaning so it should never need to be removed.

Old 07-11-2018, 11:43 AM
Rochester
Administrator

...so it should never need to be removed.
Famous last words, buddy.

Looks like you went with the Alutec after all. Well, it was what you set out to do in the first place, and you seem pretty stubborn.

Have you tossed the car around yet to assess what's what?
Old 07-11-2018, 01:20 PM
Nico-derm
Premier Member

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts

Looks like you went with the Alutec after all. Well, it was what you set out to do in the first place, and you seem pretty stubborn.

Both pictures are Alutec branded... makes me believe it’s website and not his car, John.
Old 07-11-2018, 01:38 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by Nico-derm
Both pictures are Alutec branded... makes me believe it’s website and not his car, John.
Good eye. I saw the white car and assumed... but missed the lack of a long-tube intake.

Also, upon second look, that's a Coupe. Doh!

OK. Nvrmnd.
Old 07-11-2018, 02:23 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Those are just pictures off of the website. Clearly there is a lot of room underneath, but I am still wondering why you would ever need to remove a strut tower brace.

I don't want a 3pc. strut tower brace as they flex under load. I already had a Cusco bar on another car.
Old 07-12-2018, 11:43 AM
r2dmax

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts
Those are just pictures off of the website. Clearly there is a lot of room underneath, but I am still wondering why you would ever need to remove a strut tower brace.

I don't want a 3pc. strut tower brace as they flex under load. I already had a Cusco bar on another car.
For most people it's a "bling" item with a bit of purpose. If you aren't completely track oriented a little give in the FSTB won't be a concern. But it will be simple to undo one or 2 bolts vs removing the 6 on the shock tower if it has to be removed for some reason.
Old 07-13-2018, 03:13 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

We just got some not so great news on our baby girl that is due in early Nov. We spent 7 hours at the Milwaukee Children's Hospital yesterday to find out that she has duodenal atresia. This means the duodenum (connects stomach to small intestine) did not evolve from a solid tube to a hollow one so her digestive system will not work and she will require surgery right after birth. She will probably be in the Children's Hospital NICU for 3 weeks to 2 months. There are also a number of other birth defects that are related to duodenal atresia, including down syndrome. We realize that things could be a lot worse and remain hopeful that everything turns out ok.
Old 07-13-2018, 03:19 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Oh man. Stay strong, stay together.
4DRZ (07-14-2018)
Old 07-13-2018, 03:29 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 506 Likes on 435 Posts
We just got some not so great news on our baby girl that is due in early Nov. We spent 7 hours at the Milwaukee Children's Hospital yesterday to find out that she has duodenal atresia. This means the duodenum (connects stomach to small intestine) did not evolve from a solid tube to a hollow one so her digestive system will not work and she will require surgery right after birth. She will probably be in the Children's Hospital NICU for 3 weeks to 2 months. There are also a number of other birth defects that are related to duodenal atresia, including down syndrome. We realize that things could be a lot worse and remain hopeful that everything turns out ok.
Sorry to hear this. Realize sometimes doctors lay everything out no matter how remote the possibilities are. We heard some scary things about our first, including down/edward's syndrome. The NICU staff will be absolutely amazing. Just be prepared to wash your hands, a lot

Hope for the best, and keep the wifey comfy.
4DRZ (07-14-2018)
Old 07-13-2018, 03:29 PM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
Oh man. Stay strong, stay together.
+1 Hang in there
4DRZ (07-14-2018)
Old 07-13-2018, 05:07 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
Sorry to hear this. Realize sometimes doctors lay everything out no matter how remote the possibilities are. We heard some scary things about our first, including down/edward's syndrome. The NICU staff will be absolutely amazing. Just be prepared to wash your hands, a lot

Hope for the best, and keep the wifey comfy.

Yeah, 1 of the 4 doctors we met yesterday was all doom and gloom, but everyone else there was great. Haha on the washing hands bit. I bet that gets old.

Thanks for all the support guys!

Quick Reply: The "4 door Z" build (4DRZ)- 13 G37S 6spd sedan