Build Threads

The "4 door Z" build (4DRZ)- 13 G37S 6spd sedan

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2018, 10:43 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 505 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Whereas the genuine detriment is that you have to unbolt your dampers just to remove the bar.
That shouldn't matter if you do the install with the wheels on the ground.
Old 07-03-2018, 10:50 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
That shouldn't matter if you do the install with the wheels on the ground.
I think Rochester is referring to the 2 bolts needing to be removed to get the strut tower brace off on the Cusco type design compared to Alutec where you would need to remove 6 bolts to remove it.

However, this is not really an issue for me as all the cars I have had with strut tower braces never needed to be removed. I am more concerned with the difference a part makes in terms of performance. If it is just there for eye candy, then it doesn't belong on my car.
Old 07-03-2018, 11:09 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,573 Likes on 3,424 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
If it is just there for eye candy, then it doesn't belong on my car.
That's a pithy platitude, but I don't believe it for a minute.

Six nuts that undo your front shocks, vs. two bolts that undo nothing.

Whatever you choose, I'm interested to see if your feedback on the FSTB aligns with mine, or if your car is set up to where you don't notice it.

Last edited by Rochester; 07-03-2018 at 11:29 AM.
Old 07-03-2018, 01:04 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

That's a pithy platitude, but I don't believe it for a minute.

Six nuts that undo your front shocks, vs. two bolts that undo nothing.

Whatever you choose, I'm interested to see if your feedback on the FSTB aligns with mine, or if your car is set up to where you don't notice it.
Yes, parts on my car that provide no performance benefit do not belong. In the picture you posted, were you referring to the grille that flows more air, the water resistant air filter covers, the Z1 intakes, the Mishimoto radiator, the Stillen oil cooler, or the fog light openings that feed the Stillen brake ducts? All kidding aside I don't buy performance parts like strut tower braces, wheels, or coilovers to change the look of the car and then hard park it. I buy the parts so the car performs better.

And again, I have no need to remove the strut tower brace and I am not sure why you would need to either to clean anything or if it is just the fact you know some dirt could possibly be under it that gets to you.

I am surprised (and somewhat enthused) that you can really tell a difference on the street with a strut tower brace. The fact that our cars have the only triangulated firewall I have seen and that the strut towers are so close to it make me think that there cannot be much to gain, but hopefully I am wrong. I thought the same thing about the Z1 master cylinder brace and I was right. That part is a waste of money and especially time since it is a royal PITA to install. Much more noticeable difference with stainless braided brake lines.

I do really like the steering in our cars though so I cannot imagine it being much better, but I am hopeful. It is already much better than at least my previous Subaru 2.5RS, WRX, STI, and Evo. Does the steering in all AWD cars suck compared to our cars or maybe it is just a RWD vs. AWD thing?
Old 07-03-2018, 01:21 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Yes, parts on my car that provide no performance benefit do not belong. In the picture you posted, were you referring to the grille that flows more air, the water resistant air filter covers, the Z1 intakes, the Mishimoto radiator, the Stillen oil cooler, or the fog light openings that feed the Stillen brake ducts?
I'm guessing the license plate frame, and wrapped lower lip. One ounce here, 3 ounces there. Next thing you know, it adds up to a pound

I am surprised (and somewhat enthused) that you can really tell a difference on the street with a strut tower brace. The fact that our cars have the only triangulated firewall I have seen and that the strut towers are so close to it make me think that there cannot be much to gain
I've long subscribed to this philosophy, which is why I've never bothered on a STB. My guess is it's the placebo effect, but who knows, maybe there are conditions where it actually helps

Does the steering in all AWD cars suck compared to our cars or maybe it is just a RWD vs. AWD thing?
Only the RWD S cars get the fast ratio steering, and it's fantastic. One of my favorite things about the car is the feel, feedback, and confidence inspiring precision of the steering.
Old 07-03-2018, 01:30 PM
Rochester
Administrator

I've long subscribed to this philosophy, which is why I've never bothered on a STB. My guess is it's the placebo effect, but who knows, maybe there are conditions where it actually helps
Stop at a light, ready to make a left hand turn. Light turns green and you launch as hard as you can without breaking traction and oversteering like a boss. With a FSTB, you will fight for steering control less than otherwise. So with that in mind, it's a great mod if you auto-x your car... which I haven't done in years because I suck at cones.

That's about it.

Only the RWD S cars get the fast ratio steering, and it's fantastic. One of my favorite things about the car is the feel, feedback, and confidence inspiring precision of the steering.
Agreed. It's something we take for granted, until you drive a G without the sport steering.
Old 07-03-2018, 01:43 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Stop at a light, ready to make a left hand turn. Light turns green and you launch as hard as you can without breaking traction and oversteering like a boss.
This is one of my favorite scenarios in this car

Two left turn lanes. Me and a 370Z. Dead even. He seemed shocked
Old 07-07-2018, 03:49 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

BIG NEWS!! The best addition to the car will be here in early November. WE ARE HAVING A GIRL!!!

This is our first child so I we are excited and scared all at the same time. So I will take any good advice from all of you parents. My wife ordered a GT-R for her, even though it will be a few years before she can drive it. So my daughter gets a GT-R before I do. Not fair.

Old 07-07-2018, 04:53 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

BIG NEWS!! The best addition to the car will be here in early November. WE ARE HAVING A GIRL!!!
Congrats, 4DRZ!

It’s a life changing experience. Enjoy the ride
The following users liked this post:
4DRZ (07-14-2018)
Old 07-07-2018, 06:40 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Awesome. Of all the moments about my girls, the one that was most earth shattering was driving my wife and our first newborn home from the hospital. Can't explain it, but that was truly the moment when it felt like my life was never going to be the same. Fast forward 18 years, and we'll be driving her to her dorm at college in about 7 weeks from now. (sigh)

You asking for advice? OK, here's some. Start putting a fixed sum of money away every single month, for college. After a little while, when you become comfortable missing the money, double it. Then every year, keep upping the amount... don't get complacent.

A private university degree can run upwards to $300,000. A State University bachelors (in your state) could set you back $100,000. There are all kinds of different experiences, scholarships, loans, etc. But those are the big round numbers... for today. I can only imagine what it's going to be like in 18 years, but odds are it will only go up.

Sorry to scare you. Genuinely happy for you, buddy.

PS. Babies love noisy exhausts. Seriously.

Last edited by Rochester; 07-07-2018 at 06:45 PM.
4DRZ (07-14-2018)
Old 07-07-2018, 06:58 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

While not bad advice, I think you might be forgetting the price of child care. At the peak, I dropped $40k for part time preschool + full time nanny.

You’re right about one thing, my kids love a loud exhaust
4DRZ (07-14-2018)
Old 07-08-2018, 07:26 AM
Rochester
Administrator

While not bad advice, I think you might be forgetting the price of child care. At the peak, I dropped $40k for part time preschool + full time nanny.

You’re right about one thing, my kids love a loud exhaust
Everybody's situation is different, but you're right that child care expenses can be insane for a single parent, or for two full-time working adults. For us, it wasn't an issue... my wife worked and continues to work part-time, about 25 hours per week, while still in a well-paid job. And back when my mother-in-law wasn't so elderly, she was there for at-home child care, which was only two days a week.

I'm very grateful how that worked out for us.

Long term college planning is important, sure. But short term, the more immediate consideration is child care. Absolutely this is the time to figure that out. Fair point, Lego.

Hmm... what else? Oh, I know! Purchase a Diaper Genie, and keep it outdoors, in the garage, attic, anywhere but the babie's room.

And here's another: no matter the reason, do NOT sleep with your infant. Keep her in her crib, always. It will be heartbreaking hearing her cry, but trust me on this.
4DRZ (07-14-2018)
Old 07-08-2018, 11:18 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Thanks for all the advice guys! Good to know. I am surprised to hear about the loud exhaust. I was worried about my suspension being a little bumpy for the baby, but my wife seems to think it will bounce the baby to sleep. Maybe.
Old 07-09-2018, 08:10 AM
Daddy Fat Sacs
Registered Member

Received 357 Likes on 249 Posts
Congratulations! Not sure how old you are but be prepared to start aging quicker now. I have 2 girls, the youngest being born when I was 30 and now I have ALOT of grey in my hair and my goatee has a ton of white

The one advice which always sounds cliche is enjoy your daughter when shes young, don't make her grow up faster than she should. Time WILL fly by no matter what you do. My oldest is now driving and will be a junior in a couple months. Oh one other thing....she will have you wrapped around her pinky despite what you tell yourself
4DRZ (07-14-2018)
Old 07-09-2018, 08:25 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Great News! Congrats on your new addition

Also sweet new ride for her early years, awesome G'parents!
4DRZ (07-14-2018)

Quick Reply: The "4 door Z" build (4DRZ)- 13 G37S 6spd sedan