Build Threads

The "4 door Z" build (4DRZ)- 13 G37S 6spd sedan

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 05:39 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
That would look fine. Painted in MW, too.
Well you're not going to like this, but I would probably go carbon like ttv36 to match the other carbon accents I have planned. However, I am not sure the size naca ducts I want would work out while being reversed. Still gathering data at this point.
Old 03-13-2018, 06:53 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,572 Likes on 3,423 Posts
There a line to be crossed somewhere with white cars and black trim. Where that line is... that's subjective. But when you cross it and go full Oreo, you'll know. G'luck.

Before you go cutting holes in your hood, you've got other things to explore, like a more efficient radiator, and a quality header wrap on your shorties.

Or maybe you dial everything back and start long term planning on a second track-only car.
Old 03-14-2018, 05:16 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 505 Likes on 435 Posts
lol @ oreo

I always referred to it as going panda
Old 03-14-2018, 10:52 AM
ttv36
Race, repair, repeat.

Received 432 Likes on 289 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
Well you're not going to like this, but I would probably go carbon like ttv36 to match the other carbon accents I have planned. However, I am not sure the size naca ducts I want would work out while being reversed. Still gathering data at this point.
If you're planning on reversing the R35 vents, I don't think that would work out too easily. Here is an example of what they look like:

Old 03-14-2018, 12:18 PM
Nico-derm
Premier Member

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts
I wasn’t sure the benefit myself, cold air in would have the same effect as hot air out. One replaces the other in both scenarios.
Old 03-14-2018, 06:17 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

There a line to be crossed somewhere with white cars and black trim. Where that line is... that's subjective. But when you cross it and go full Oreo, you'll know. G'luck.

Before you go cutting holes in your hood, you've got other things to explore, like a more efficient radiator, and a quality header wrap on your shorties.

Or maybe you dial everything back and start long term planning on a second track-only car.
I agree with you guys on the oreo/panda look. I know the black spoiler, wheels, and badges look is in right now, but I like the way Audi does it better by keeping it subtle. I think I can get away with wrapping the grille surround, mirror caps and chrome trim around the windows in carbon, but if I do a carbon hood and wrap the roof I have a hard time believing that will look good.

You must have missed my post in response to you bringing up a radiator and header wrap on the last page- cliffs notes: radiator is planned soon, my headers are already ceramic coated and header wrap is not an ideal long term solution.

Originally Posted by ttv36
If you're planning on reversing the R35 vents, I don't think that would work out too easily. Here is an example of what they look like:

I would probably get similar naca ducts without the lower section and try to put them behind the radiator or maybe just one larger centralized naca duct.

Originally Posted by Nico-derm
I wasn’t sure the benefit myself, cold air in would have the same effect as hot air out. One replaces the other in both scenarios.
I am changing the grille to try to get in a little more cold air, but there is only so much you can do there. However, you can pull out a lot of hot air with a fully vented hood. Now if the hood were just not so ugly...
Old 03-14-2018, 07:26 PM
Rochester
Administrator

cliffs notes: radiator is planned soon, my headers are already ceramic coated and header wrap is not an ideal long term solution.
Cool (no pun). Be great if the radiator swap scratches that itch.

You have aftermarket headers? I didn't know that.
Old 03-14-2018, 07:55 PM
ttv36
Race, repair, repeat.

Received 432 Likes on 289 Posts
However, you can pull out a lot of hot air with a fully vented hood. Now if the hood were just not so ugly...
If you're looking for a hood to just pull hot air out have you considered the Carbon Signal hood? It's essentially a stock hood that Carbon Signal modifies. I was leaning towards this hood, but decided it is more important for me to get cool air onto the turbo manifolds instead of just venting air out.

Pics via @tybo_g37s

Last edited by ttv36; 03-14-2018 at 08:00 PM.
Old 03-14-2018, 09:13 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Cool (no pun). Be great if the radiator swap scratches that itch.

You have aftermarket headers? I didn't know that.
I hope the radiator helps a lot, but you can never have too much cooling on an engine that runs hot- especially at the track.

I picked up some DC headers about 2 years ago. Those are a royal pain to install and one of the few parts I didn't do myself. But the exhaust note itself accelerating out of Canada Corner at Road America makes it all worth while.

Originally Posted by ttv36
If you're looking for a hood to just pull hot air out have you considered the Carbon Signal hood? It's essentially a stock hood that Carbon Signal modifies. I was leaning towards this hood, but decided it is more important for me to get cool air onto the turbo manifolds instead of just venting air out.

Pics via @tybo_g37s

That hood looks decent, but how much is it? I really liked Carbon signal's body kit, but it was ridiculously expensive and shipping from UAE was outrageous.
Old 03-16-2018, 10:46 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Yesterday, I started my next project of a new grille to increase air flow. I was told by the previous owner that it would be a "project." Boy was he right. It had plastic epoxy all over it. The guy at Advance Auto said their graffiti remover would work, but it just changed the color of the glue.

I used a dremel-like tool for about 30 minutes trying to clean up the really rough parts. Then I spent another hour sanding as much as I could. Looks like I probably have another 30-45 minutes of sanding left to make it perfectly smooth. I started to wonder if I should have just taken apart my factory grille.

Once I'm done with my work I will have it carbon wrapped like I did with my bumpers and side skirts. Then I will pick up some nicer glossy diamond pattern mesh that my body shop thinks they can mount behind the grille. Next, I plan to get a Fuji emblem from a QX56 rear hatch to center on the grille. Finally, I will pick up a Stillen rain guard to try to mount up to my Z1 air filters. If that does not work I will get water resistant filter covers made.

How the grille arrived- the big white spots are plastic epoxy

The plastic glue did not work very well- it arrived only attached in one spot

The grille was a hexagon shape which is a bit different than the factory diamond pattern and it was installed with the unfinished backside facing out(?)

Half of the face is now smooth as can be after LOTS of dremel and sanding

If you open the pic you can see that all the tabs had to have major dremel work done as they were covered in so much glue that their shapes were all altered dramatically

This is the mesh I plan to use which more closely resembles the factory design and has a glossy finished face

Last edited by 4DRZ; 03-16-2018 at 10:54 AM.
Old 03-16-2018, 10:54 AM
Rochester
Administrator

That's quite a project. Looks like you're on-track, too.

Big Fuji, huh? How are you planning on mounting that? Have you considered the pros & cons in using a see-thru Fufi intended as a body panel emblem? You might want to explore using a black back-plate, in keeping with the solid center design in the OEM grille Fuji. A back plate might also better support mounting the emblem to the grate.

Or not. Just throwing that out there as something to chew on.

Personally, I think the center of the emblem would look better in solid black.
Old 03-16-2018, 10:57 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

That's quite a project. Looks like you're on-track, too.

Big Fuji, huh? How are you planning on mounting that? Have you considered the pros & cons in using a see-thru Fufi intended as a body panel emblem? You might want to explore using a black back-plate, in keeping with the solid center design in the OEM grille Fuji. A back plate might also better support mounting the emblem to the grate.

Or not. Just throwing that out there as something to chew on.
Not a bad idea. My body shop has adhesives so strong they can glue your head to the ceiling so I'm going to let them worry about it. I am going to try it first without a backing plate to maximize airflow like the Chevy "flowtie" on the Z/28 that is hollowed out. You know, because RACECAR!!
Old 03-16-2018, 11:01 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

It should look similar to StownSaint's grille which I think looks pretty good without a backing plate because the mesh is pretty robust. His grille originally came with some very thin mesh that was basically see through and did not look as nice because you could see the unattractive bracing and radiator. The original mesh would probably need a backing plate for the fuji emblem.

Old 03-16-2018, 11:13 AM
Rochester
Administrator

I assumed you were following his lead. Looking at it again a few years later... I think it's an example of what I was getting at, that it would look better with a solid black center.

Maybe not. Shop it up and think about it. There's something about seeing the grille pattern in the middle that seems kind of a hack.

Flowtie... haha. Nope.
Old 03-17-2018, 10:14 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

I finished sanding the grille down tonight and went through 3 different grits of sandpaper so now it is silky smooth and should be perfect for wrapping in the same carbon wrap. The bottom half went a lot quicker as there were only 2 stone chips and those take some time to level out.

Quick Reply: The "4 door Z" build (4DRZ)- 13 G37S 6spd sedan