Build Threads

Intricate's Mod Thread - A Detailed Journey

Old 02-26-2015, 01:59 PM
IntricateDetail
Wannabe

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
Takeda Attack CAI ordered! First post updated.
Old 02-26-2015, 02:14 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,571 Likes on 3,422 Posts
Originally Posted by IntricateDetail
Takeda Attack CAI ordered! First post updated.
It's called the "Attack"? LOL. I didn't know that.

Old 02-26-2015, 02:23 PM
IntricateDetail
Wannabe

Originally Posted by Rochester
It's called the "Attack"? LOL. I didn't know that.
Lol yea, that's the one.

TakedaŽ TA-3016P - Attack Polished Cold Air Intake System

I bought from b2autodesigns but yea...one and the same. ID TA-3016P
Old 02-26-2015, 02:27 PM
IntricateDetail
Wannabe

Hotchkis sways ordered! Updated first post.
Old 02-26-2015, 06:29 PM
IntricateDetail
Wannabe

Secondary purchase! GoPro Hero 3 Black Edition with some added goodies. Now I can truly capture all these mods and get some in car/out of car exhaust vids, drive-by vids, etc. Just need to get a fur noise reduction piece and I'll be good to go.

Intricate's Mod Thread - A Detailed Journey-go1.jpg
Old 02-27-2015, 06:43 PM
IntricateDetail
Wannabe

Originally Posted by blnewt
Well his username is "Intricate Detail" after all
That could very well have been your username John

Carl, keep in mind if you don't really plan to lower your car I'd scratch coilovers off the list, from all the options for the AWD coilovers you really can't keep stock height. The new Fortune 500s w/ the Swift spring swap is a possibility and there's been a couple members that have ordered the 8" rear spring so maybe they can be installed at stock height, stay tuned on that one.........
Another option that Lego_Maniac has suggested is going w/ a Koni Yellow shock setup that is adapted to fit the different lower front strut mount that the AWDs have. Currently the Koni Yellows are only made for RWD Gs
Might shoot a PM to Lego for more details.

Many nice 18s to choose from and tires are a bargain compared to 19s & 20s, so that would give you more money for other mods
What if I decide to drop and do coilovers? Can I use KW or do I have to use BC or whatever? I am looking at Connor's I think and he is using BC. Or one of those guys with an x lol. I'm probably getting their names mixed up at this point. I've been buried in build threads and what not for a while now. Haha.

If I could do it...I'd grab a set of used KW v3's in the FS section, and then I could grab a used Akebono kit and the wheels I want. Maybe shave a bit off the wheels and get something a little less exotic to compensate for the KW coilovers. Nah, probs just save in March-April from my "paycheck" money and that way I am not technically going over budget.
Old 02-27-2015, 07:07 PM
connoisseurr
Premier Member

Received 182 Likes on 128 Posts
I have yet to install my coilovers - still sitting on my swift lowering springs.

You have an X. The only option that is worth your while is Fortune Auto 500 w/ Swift spring upgrade. Make sure you get 8" springs in the rear and 7" springs in the front. Many have migrated to this option as the other options for the X sedan have fallen short of expectations.

If you're not doing the installation yourself, I'd do the coilovers and the brakes at the same time - it can all be done since you'll be in the same location. Also can be done independently of each other.
Old 02-27-2015, 07:53 PM
IntricateDetail
Wannabe

Originally Posted by connoisseurr
I have yet to install my coilovers - still sitting on my swift lowering springs.

You have an X. The only option that is worth your while is Fortune Auto 500 w/ Swift spring upgrade. Make sure you get 8" springs in the rear and 7" springs in the front. Many have migrated to this option as the other options for the X sedan have fallen short of expectations.

If you're not doing the installation yourself, I'd do the coilovers and the brakes at the same time - it can all be done since you'll be in the same location. Also can be done independently of each other.
UGH! So KW's aren't even an option then? Oh well, such is life. I will do some research but do you know right off hand if it's a pretty good ride still or crazy harsh? I can't be driving a "luxury sport" sedan that feels like a honda CR-X on drugs. I mean, I don't know what most people think of the xS, but I'd say it rides smooooooooooooth. And I'd like to keep it in the 75% of current smoothness range haha.
Old 02-27-2015, 08:00 PM
connoisseurr
Premier Member

KW doesn't make anything for the X. Your choices are Megan Racing, BC, maybe D2 and Fortune Auto.

You're going to have to kick that mentality of "luxury" out of your head if you want coilovers. However, the Fortune Auto 500 w/ swift upgrade will be the BEST you can get for the price. Ride will be comfortable for being on coilovers but nothing like stock.
Old 02-27-2015, 08:09 PM
IntricateDetail
Wannabe

KW doesn't make anything for the X. Your choices are Megan Racing, BC, maybe D2 and Fortune Auto.

You're going to have to kick that mentality of "luxury" out of your head if you want coilovers. However, the Fortune Auto 500 w/ swift upgrade will be the BEST you can get for the price. Ride will be comfortable for being on coilovers but nothing like stock.
This is why I wish I could go to a meet and ride on somebody's car who had the coils or whatever to get a feel for what I'm getting myself into. Seems like a heck of a lot of money to throw away hoping it meets your standards haha. But when you say "Fortune Auto 500 w/ swift upgrade will be the BEST you can get for the price"...what does that mean? I am not worried about the price, so much as the BEST/most comfortable option for the X. So if there is a better, more expensive option...care to share? I have heard a lot of both sides with the BC coilovers...so I don't know.
Old 02-27-2015, 08:42 PM
connoisseurr
Premier Member

You could achieve a desirable ride quality with a set of custom coilovers or even air ride. The meet were trying to put together in May will give you that option - to test out other member's cars and experience what your car would feel like.

Also, I'm working with the owner of Open Road Tuning - a well know air ride distributor - to help host our 2015 sedan meet. Will know more about this within the week to come but he would be able to give you all the knowledge about air ride you'd ever need to know.
The following users liked this post:
Baby Jumpman (03-07-2015)
Old 02-27-2015, 09:12 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Keep in mind, doing several things at once will result in a dramatic change from OEM comfort. Going from an 18" to a 19" will firm up the ride, going from an all-season to a performance summer tire will firm it up even more, coilovers or lowering springs will continue up the firmness scale and if you get bigger aftermarket sways another notch or two in firmness. Also being lower to the ground requires more attention to steep drives, speed bumps, road damage, etc.
Just food for thought, I love the firm ride, low stance, & low profile tires to get a better feel for the road, but it is something that may not be a good thing to other family members that frequent your vehicle. Luckily my wife is 100% on board and likes it as is, otherwise I'd be having a part-out, lol.
Old 02-27-2015, 10:16 PM
IntricateDetail
Wannabe

You could achieve a desirable ride quality with a set of custom coilovers or even air ride. The meet were trying to put together in May will give you that option - to test out other member's cars and experience what your car would feel like.

Also, I'm working with the owner of Open Road Tuning - a well know air ride distributor - to help host our 2015 sedan meet. Will know more about this within the week to come but he would be able to give you all the knowledge about air ride you'd ever need to know.
Thanks for the info. I will be at ZDayZ in May...but assuming this meet is before/after and not during, and assuming that it's not halfway across the globe or something, I might try to make it out there. The only reason I wasn't going to go air ride is because I didn't want to deal with the extra weight, in essence defeating the purpose of getting nice wheels/tires/brakes/exhaust/etc.

Didn't know you could get custom coilovers, unless you mean the stuff that Brad is talking about the one guy doing...in which case, I'd have to go to a highly recommended, experienced shop in order to feel comfortable doing that. I will probably just get the stinking 18" wheels at this point, and call it a day. No coilovers, no drop. Then, maybe this summer if I can get a chance to ride in some other people's cars...we'll go from there. I'll just have to make sure the 18"s I get can fit over the Akebono BBK...so there is that.

Keep in mind, doing several things at once will result in a dramatic change from OEM comfort. Going from an 18" to a 19" will firm up the ride, going from an all-season to a performance summer tire will firm it up even more, coilovers or lowering springs will continue up the firmness scale and if you get bigger aftermarket sways another notch or two in firmness. Also being lower to the ground requires more attention to steep drives, speed bumps, road damage, etc.
Just food for thought, I love the firm ride, low stance, & low profile tires to get a better feel for the road, but it is something that may not be a good thing to other family members that frequent your vehicle. Luckily my wife is 100% on board and likes it as is, otherwise I'd be having a part-out, lol.
Good call. I am definitely not worried about what the wife thinks about it, as she has a 2013 Chevrolet Equinox to drive and it feels like you're driving a go-cart on a cloud puff (which actually isn't a good thing). She hardly ever rides in my car and never drives it, so we're good there. When I drive that thing, I realize just how disconnected people are trying to make driving. Turn the stinking thing with my pinky and it weighs more than the G. Can't feel the road...I used to think that was just some crap people said on MotorTrend or something to sound cool, but I get it now.

I honestly think with my current budget, the limited options for the AWD, and the end result I'm looking for...my best bet is to get some 18's that will fit over the BBK, get the Akebono kit, and call it a day. That should run me about $3k if I do it right, and I can handle that. Another $1k for install and tune, and I should be good. (A guy in my local club is doing most of the installs for pretty cheap so I won't have to pay too much for that)

That keeps me "close" to my original budget and I can sleep easy knowing any future mods I want to do will "sit well" with my current setup.
Old 02-27-2015, 10:41 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,571 Likes on 3,422 Posts
Keep in mind, doing several things at once will result in a dramatic change from OEM comfort.
That's an understatement. More importantly, it severely compromises your ability to appreciate each mod for what it does to the car. It also sets you up for post-project depression.

But hey, if you got the cash and the mod bug, might as well feed the beast.
Old 02-27-2015, 11:02 PM
IntricateDetail
Wannabe

Originally Posted by Rochester
That's an understatement. More importantly, it severely compromises your ability to appreciate each mod for what it does to the car. It also sets you up for post-project depression.

But hey, if you got the cash and the mod bug, might as well feed the beast.
Well post-project depression is my middle name. I'd be lying if I didn't say that's how I do things in life. I get an itch, I take care of the itch...and then I move on. Gets expensive at times (most times not so much), but I find a way to make it all worth my while in the end haha. And I usually gain experience in an area where I was oblivious beforehand. All said and done, we'll see how it plays out. The car will stay real and active, but whether or not my desire to mod will after Phase 1...that's a different story entirely.

If you would have "met" me 6 months ago...you'd have seen me ready to spend $5k on a nice SCAR-H setup and some snazzy glass. I passed on that one because my friends who I would be shooting with, moved. Crazy people. Haha. I save my "spending money", buy things, get tired of them, sell them...buy more things, get tired of those, sell them...so on and so forth. I usually can't stick with a hobby very long, unless it's the piano, bowling, or fishing. I just like to try out too many things and don't want to be held to one. Yes, I lose some money in the process...but technically, eating is losing money...so I just see it as investing in my happiness.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Intricate's Mod Thread - A Detailed Journey