Build Threads

Sway's Black 2010 6MT Coupe + Bio (Pic Heavy)

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2015, 05:24 PM
Sway_NV
I'm too young to die!

Received 81 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
Sounds like some exciting plans
Look forward to seeing fresh pics and a bummer about the front lip, but sounds like you've got an endgame for that too.
BTW, now that you have some time w/ those T1 Sports how do you like them??
I actually love them, no signs of wear yet. The grip is amazing... Almost too amazing if you know what I mean. There's so much grip I can't launch the car with TC... The car just shuts down.... I'm hoping 4.08s will fix that haha. Drove in a LOT of heavy rain as we had a hurricane and a tropical storm hot close by; and honestly these tires couldn't care any less if it's raining or dry. They feel the same up to as hard as I felt safe to push my car in the rain to test them out. Even when hitting puddles on one side it doesn't really pull to that side much. As far as smoothness, they're good. No complaints, but they aren't Michelin SS's or A/S 3s... But the T1s are much much fatter to be fair.... They are almost as quiet as the michelins though! So that's good!

Originally Posted by redlinernyc
I enjoyed reading your build thread man, probably because of some of the similarities with my history. I too had a 2001 prelude 5mt with the Honda OEM lip kit. I was faced with the choice of a nismo 370z or 6mt g37. I had an HR 350z so I figured I would opt for the more luxury route but the look of the nismo got to me. So I currently have a 2014 Nismo Z but fully respect your choice as well!

Your car is coming together very well!

Glad you enjoyed the read. I wondered if it was too much or if anyone even cared... Lol. People hate, but that 5th gen lude is a fun little car, and I still like the styling today. I test drove a 350z back in the day, but it ended up being a little too heavy on the wallet so I went with the RSX. Man it took me 6 months to decide if I wanted the Z or the G, I ended up finding a great deal on a G and couldn't pass it up. Plus I love the G interior. But every time I see a nismo z pass by I'm like man... Did I make the right decision? Haha they are sexy beasts! My gf fell in love with them and has been saving since I got my G. She's buying one in Sept for her Bday, sooooo technically maybe I'll get both!
Now I just have to convince her to mod it. Muah Hahahahahaha.... Lol
The following users liked this post:
blnewt (07-25-2015)
Old 07-30-2015, 10:16 PM
Sway_NV
I'm too young to die!

Got a monster of a package in the mail today... Who's ready for another review???

4.08s baby!!! I went with the whiteline bushings instead of the SLP solids... I daily my G so I think the solids would be a little too rough.

Old 08-01-2015, 04:13 PM
Sway_NV
I'm too young to die!

Bled the clutch today...
The fluid was dark like dehydrated urine but darker (yummy) and had some black sediment at the bottom of the reservoir... Took a towl to suck up some fluid and wipe out the gunk. Spent an hour and a half bleeding the clutch after that... Man, pro tip: pump the clutch SLOW and do not open the bleeder valve anymore than a crack, or it completely loses pressure and you have to start all over again. Clutch feels slightly less stiff, yet smoother. Probably because all the gunk it was pushing through is now gone. The gears are a good deal smoother when shifting as well. Still not as smooth as my DC5R... That car was like butter. But it definitely feels smoother and was long over due... Not this current weekend, not the weekend after, but the weekend after that the gear swap will be done. I'm going to try to install the gen 3 intakes next weekend so I can review them seperately.

Note to self: Bleeding the clutch in this car is a PITA.

That is all.
Old 08-02-2015, 04:21 PM
Sway_NV
I'm too young to die!

My battery dies when it's cold or if I don't start it for 2 or 3 days... It's time to get a new one. I wasn't going to buy a battery just to save weight, but since I'm buying one anyway I might get a Braille.... I just want to make sure it's a strong as oem... Idk if I should get the 15 or 17lb... I've seen some people use the 11.5 lb on the370z forum. Idk... I would like it just to bolt up to the stock place without any modification. Any opinions?
Old 08-15-2015, 09:35 PM
Sway_NV
I'm too young to die!

Brought the car home today... I'll break it up first for you speed readers.
Stock 3.69 --> 4.08 gears + whiteline bushings
Told to take it easy for the first 250 miles.
Advised to change diff fluid after 500 miles. (Shop offered to do it for free)
135 mile trip home.
Cruised at 75mph and just a smidge above 3k rpms.
Averaged 25.4 mpg.
No gear whine, feels and sounds like OEM quality.

I did think I heard some gear whine once while on the decel and in gear... But I think it might've been in my head because I never heard it again and it sounded like it came from the front of the car. Idk

So obviously I haven't opened her up yet, but I'm anxious to. I'm going to listen to their 250/500 mile recommendation, can't hurt. As far as acceleration she feels the same as she did before the gear swap... With the exception I was only using 10-15% throttle instead of 30-40%

I'm very curious how she feels at wot and launch now... But I'm still thinking about those heavy *** wheels lol.

I'll do an update after the break in period to add more on my thoughts.
Old 01-02-2016, 12:39 AM
Jonesmeister11
Premier Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Sway_NV
Brought the car home today... I'll break it up first for you speed readers.
Stock 3.69 --> 4.08 gears + whiteline bushings
Told to take it easy for the first 250 miles.
Advised to change diff fluid after 500 miles. (Shop offered to do it for free)
135 mile trip home.
Cruised at 75mph and just a smidge above 3k rpms.
Averaged 25.4 mpg.
No gear whine, feels and sounds like OEM quality.

I did think I heard some gear whine once while on the decel and in gear... But I think it might've been in my head because I never heard it again and it sounded like it came from the front of the car. Idk

So obviously I haven't opened her up yet, but I'm anxious to. I'm going to listen to their 250/500 mile recommendation, can't hurt. As far as acceleration she feels the same as she did before the gear swap... With the exception I was only using 10-15% throttle instead of 30-40%

I'm very curious how she feels at wot and launch now... But I'm still thinking about those heavy *** wheels lol.

I'll do an update after the break in period to add more on my thoughts.
So what is the result???? WOT a huge difference??? And when I get home I will read post 14 regarding the twm short throw. Garage talk isn't showing post numbers, and I'm out with friends
Old 01-03-2016, 04:01 AM
Sway_NV
I'm too young to die!

^^^Whaaaaaattt!? I can't believe I never updated this! I guess I just got busy and forgot lol... It was just a post from August when you ordered your twm shifter and Iwas saying I wanted one too... And now finally I've got one! Lol

Okay so here's the deal.... I felt a little disappointed in the gears but I think it's just me and here's why... When I went from stock wheels to vossen cv5s which are collectively 10ish lbs more (rotating mass) plus wider tires (285 in the back) this obviously adds even more weight and more rolling resistance, it made my car feel super sluggish... I thought the gears would make the car a whole new animal... Buuuuttt it just made up for the wheels/tires plus added more of a kick feeling. It throws you back in the seat more. So at first I was disappointed... But the more I think about it... The wheels made a huge negative difference in my acceleration, and the gears made up for that... So I guess it did make a big difference, plus the extra kick feeling is nice.... And I can EASILY roast my 285 toyo t1 sports... I mean I could light them up and suck em down to the chords in nothing flat if I wanted to. Lol... So all in all, yes, the gears are worth it. I just wish 19s didn't look too small on our cars so I could get that acceleration back too, then pick up some RE-11s... (They don't come in 20")

Also - city mileage for me is around 18mpg... Buuut I'm normally running late in the morning to work, (not a morning person) so I'm by no means easy on the throttle... Maybe that should be my New Years resolution... I'm never late, but I'm never not almost late lol

Last edited by Sway_NV; 01-03-2016 at 04:17 AM.
Old 01-03-2016, 04:15 AM
Sway_NV
I'm too young to die!

UPDATE:

The girl bought me a twm short shifter for Xmas, and I bought their weighted leopard shift ****... I was hoping to get around to installing it and my ported m370 manifold this week, as I was off for Christmas vacation, but it rained ALL day, EVERY day, the ENTIRE time!!

So, hopefully look forward to those reviews soon... And unless something else comes up, I plan on getting an ECUTEK tune with a portion of my tax return! So I'm definitely excited about that.
Attached Thumbnails Sway's Black 2010 6MT Coupe + Bio (Pic Heavy)-image.jpg  
Old 01-03-2016, 10:43 AM
Jonesmeister11
Premier Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
Awesome! Since I have 20's and 285 in the rears also, and we happen to have the same tires lmao, I might look more into gears. The nav registers I get 19 mpg. What were you getting before? Still flirting with the idea of gears. Espcially since you were at 3k going 75mph
Old 01-03-2016, 03:58 PM
Sway_NV
I'm too young to die!

Originally Posted by Jonesmeister11
Awesome! Since I have 20's and 285 in the rears also, and we happen to have the same tires lmao, I might look more into gears. The nav registers I get 19 mpg. What were you getting before? Still flirting with the idea of gears. Espcially since you were at 3k going 75mph
Really?? Lol that's funny I didn't know we had the same tires. Well I'll tell you if you get rear gears you'll want stickier tires for launching... They're not bad but they could definitely be better lol.

Yeah, I'm lazy and always use the nav for mpg too. I believe but I'm not positive I was 19.8 before.... And now I'm at 17.6... I feel like I could get in the mid 18s... Buuut I won't. Lol ... I could keep it up for a couple days but you know how it goes lol.

Yeah I sit at like 3100 rpms at 74/75 and have a GTHaus exhaust and get very very minor drone above 70 --> 95. We have a toll road close to here with a speed limit of 85 and I do 90 on it and it's still fine. Has mileage does suck at 90 though. Lol

I'd say get the gears and whiteline bushings. I am happy with them, my only slight disappointment is from unrealistic expectations and the huge wheels, if I went back down to 19" I'm sure I'd be blown away!
Old 01-04-2016, 01:49 AM
hevak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
nice cool
Old 05-06-2016, 11:32 PM
Sway_NV
I'm too young to die!

Went forever without updating again, ill post this for now and edit it to fit previous format later:

INSTALL:
Installed my Stillen Gen 3's... Install was pretty straight forward, I did it without removing the bumper and it wasn't all that bad. I'm sure it would be a breeze if the bumper was removed... It's near impossible to get them in without scratching them though... I was super careful and wrapped them in microfiber towels and I still got a couple scratches... Nothing bad. The cutting - no big deal with a dremel. Was easy, quick, and you can clean the holes up so they look like they're factory. Don't let the cutting discourage you, it's just weight reduction yo! Lol jk... Positioning the tubes though I couldn't get them perfectly symmetrical... Bugged me at first but it's not a big difference so I got over it. Quality and fitment are great though.

THOUGHTS:
As for sound I can hear it a little bit at times, but usually not over my exhaust. Looks good in the engine bay... Still reminds me of intercooler piping though lol. As far as the but dyno, car seems more responsive, and a smoother power band. Not a huge difference, but it is just an intake. But I like it, I'm satisfied, would buy again. Can't wait to get the car tuned.
Old 05-07-2016, 12:01 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Nice upgrade, thanks for the update, it has been a while
Old 05-07-2016, 12:15 AM
kennyz424

Received 1,498 Likes on 1,271 Posts
Damn this was such a long read for me from the beginning till here but I gotta say even though an old build thread you're car is so sexy man and I'm in love with your mod for! Keep up the great work!
Old 05-07-2016, 03:48 PM
Sway_NV
I'm too young to die!

Originally Posted by blnewt
Nice upgrade, thanks for the update, it has been a while
Thanks! I've been super busy with work and I was in Korea, then China, then Korea again so yeah... Lol

Originally Posted by kennyz424
Damn this was such a long read for me from the beginning till here but I gotta say even though an old build thread you're car is so sexy man and I'm in love with your mod for! Keep up the great work!
Hey thanks man! You think it's too long? Should I go back and edit some out? Lol ... Glad you're digging it! More stuff to come for sure. I appreciate your feedback!

Yeah I got this intake installed probably 3 or 4 months ago lol

Quick Reply: Sway's Black 2010 6MT Coupe + Bio (Pic Heavy)