MyG37

MyG37 (https://www.myg37.com/forums/)
-   Build Threads (https://www.myg37.com/forums/build-threads-399/)
-   -   Rochester's new G (https://www.myg37.com/forums/build-threads/231609-rochesters-new-g.html)

hexotic 02-02-2017 07:02 PM

And again, John and Adrian are subliminally influencing me to spend money haha. Looks like Im getting some new clamps.

Rochester 02-02-2017 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by hexotic (Post 4107576)
And again, John and Adrian are subliminally influencing me to spend money haha. Looks like Im getting some new clamps.

Peanuts, man. :eekdance: Peanuts.

I think I'm going to order two of the 2.5" clamps, in red, for the neck of my R2C filters. Should be a subtle little ring of maroon in the shadows of the heat shield. However, it will require some modification...

...because it almost always does.

Wait, his name is Adrian? I didn't know that.

"He's like an unused toy
He's got big hands but the mind of a little boy
Oh, Adrian, come out and play..."

hexotic 02-02-2017 07:17 PM

How are they measured? I looked at the diameter of the rubber ring holding the intake in place, and its 3" at the TB, and looks like 3.5" around the filter (eyeballed pressing a ruler against it). You mentioned 2.5" for the R2C. If I remember right, the R2C are same size as the K&N I definitely measured something wrong lol. I should probably measure the circumference and then / 3.14 since I dont have callipers.

Rochester 02-02-2017 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by hexotic (Post 4107582)
How are they measured? I looked at the diameter of the rubber ring holding the intake in place, and its 3" at the TB, and looks like 3.5" around the filter (eyeballed pressing a ruler against it). You mentioned 2.5" for the R2C. If I remember right, the R2C are same size as the K&N I definitely measured something wrong lol. I should probably measure the circumference and then / 3.14 since I dont have callipers.

I honestly can't answer that question. I purchased the 2.75" bands because my couplers were 70mm. At least, that's what I have on record when buying them 4 years ago. However, when these bands are closed completely, they measure exactly 3.00" across. Riddle me that one, Batman.

All I can say for sure is that 2.75" works at the TB, but is too big for the grooved neck of the R2C filters.

Beyond that, it's anybody's guess.

hexotic 02-02-2017 07:58 PM

Hmm, interesting. The Part of the K&N filter where the clamp goes on is about half an inch larger than the diameter of the TB portion. I think ill roll the dice and order 2.75 for the TB and 3.25 for the filter. If anything Ill end up with some nice blue paperweights.

'11G37S 02-02-2017 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by Rochester
I think I'm going to order two of the 2.5" clamps, in red, for the neck of my R2C filters. Should be a subtle little ring of maroon in the shadows of the heat shield. However, it will require some modification...

The red won't clash with the amber engine cover? Assuming you still have your engine cover painted.

http://www.johnclare.com/pics/cars/g...r_amber_01.jpg

Rochester 02-02-2017 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by '11G37S (Post 4107610)
The red won't clash with the amber engine cover? Assuming you still have your engine cover painted.

That's an old picture. This is newer, but even this one doesn't rep the back series filter.

http://www.johnclare.com/pics/cars/engine_bay_2015b.jpg

My thinking on the red is this: Yes, it clashes with the amber, but it would be deep in the heat shield. And there's a little red in the cut edge of the couplers at the throttle bodies. There's also a little bit of red in the G37S badge at the top left. Also, the red band is more matte than it is glossy, because of the brushed aluminum.

Or not. :dunno: IDK, Kirk. Just thinking out loud, and now I'm second guessing, LOL.

Oh, and Adrian, you can clearly see the piece you were asking about in this pic:

http://cdn3.volusion.com/frzxb.uzspe...00RD-KMI-2.jpg

Dembflyr 02-02-2017 09:31 PM

Red and amber don't clash. They actually go good together. My car is the proof. :cool:

'11G37S 02-02-2017 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by Rochester
That's an old picture. This is newer, but even this one doesn't rep the back series filter.

My thinking on the red is this: Yes, it clashes with the amber, but it would be deep in the heat shield. And there's a little red in the cut edge of the couplers at the throttle bodies. There's also a little bit of red in the G37S badge at the top left. Also, the red band is more matte than it is glossy, because of the brushed aluminum.

Or not. :dunno: IDK, Kirk. Just thinking out loud, and now I'm second guessing, LOL.

Lol. Sorry John, that wasn't intentional.

Have you thought about ordering the red clamps ,test fitting them, and if you like them paint the engine cover a similar red?

hexotic 02-02-2017 10:13 PM

OH! I remembered one more thing I wanted to ask you! When we met last fall, you had this awesome sunshade in your windshield. What was the brand of that? I asked you in person, thinking I would remember, but without writing it down... of course it flew out of my head.

EDIT: did a quick forum search to see if you ever talked about it, and yeah, covercraft, found it haha.

'11G37S 02-02-2017 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by hexotic
OH! I remembered one more thing I wanted to ask you! When we met last fall, you had this awesome sunshade in your windshield. What was the brand of that? I asked you in person, thinking I would remember, but without writing it down... of course it flew out of my head.

EDIT: did a quick forum search to see if you ever talked about it, and yeah, covercraft, found it haha.

I think I still have mine laying around somewhere, it's the same one John has. Covercraft I think? If you want it I can ship it to you, just cover shipping.

hexotic 02-02-2017 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by '11G37S (Post 4107676)
I think I still have mine laying around somewhere, it's the same one John has. Covercraft I think? If you want it I can ship it to you, just cover shipping.

That would be awesome, Ill PM you :D

Rochester 02-03-2017 07:58 AM

PM'd Kirk requested info on that shade. Sure is a nice thing he's doing. And FWIW, having met hexotic in Canada last year, he seems like a nice guy who will appreciate it. :hsugh: Group hug, bring it in.

Now let's get back to the busy discussion and macro photos about a $7 piece of aluminum.

Because that's how you do it, LOL. :NOD:

hexotic 02-03-2017 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Rochester (Post 4107735)
PM'd Kirk requested info on that shade. Sure is a nice thing he's doing. And FWIW, having met hexotic in Canada last year, he seems like a nice guy who will appreciate it. :hsugh: Group hug, bring it in.

Now let's get back to the busy discussion and macro photos about a $7 piece of aluminum.

Because that's how you do it, LOL. :NOD:

Haha, yep, he's awesome, unexpectedly saved me some money! And sure the aluminum is $7, but I ordered 6 with a terrible Canadian exchange rate and expensive shipping, so suddenly I'm out another $100. THANKS JOHN lol.

2GoRNot2G 02-03-2017 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by hexotic (Post 4107576)

Glad to be of assistance, Andy! Oh, and I'm getting ready to post my multitude of extra parts up for sale (I now have 3 sets of coil overs that aren't being used), so you may be spending more money than you know. :D

Originally Posted by Rochester (Post 4107579)
Peanuts, man. :eekdance: Peanuts.

...because it almost always does.

Wait, his name is Adrian? I didn't know that.

"He's like an unused toy
He's got big hands but the mind of a little boy
Oh, Adrian, come out and play..."

Look at you quoting a Jewel song. I actually like that song, but it is SO sad. Most people tend to quote Rocky when they hear my name.... Yo ADRIAN!!! :bowrofl:

Originally Posted by Rochester (Post 4107590)
I honestly can't answer that question. I purchased the 2.75" bands because my couplers were 70mm. At least, that's what I have on record when buying them 4 years ago. However, when these bands are closed completely, they measure exactly 3.00" across. Riddle me that one, Batman.

All I can say for sure is that 2.75" works at the TB, but is too big for the grooved neck of the R2C filters.

Beyond that, it's anybody's guess.

My guess is that the clamp description of 2.75" is referring to the outer pipe diameter, but add a tenth of an inch or so per side for the rubber/silicone coupler and you get to your 3.00" actual diameter for the clamp.

Originally Posted by Rochester (Post 4107612)

Oh, and Adrian, you can clearly see the piece you were asking about in this pic:

http://cdn3.volusion.com/frzxb.uzspe...00RD-KMI-2.jpg

That picture is exactly what I wanted to see, John. Looks like these will work. :JAMIN:

Oh, and your engine bay is looking VERY clean! :biggthumpup: Where did you get that little aluminum cover on the top of your dipstick?