Build Threads

Rochester's new G

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2018, 09:46 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Nope. It's a whole collection of tubes and hoses sold as a single piece, called the power steering return line assembly. For about $65.

https://www.infinitipartscheap.com/p...yABEgI8qvD_BwE
Nope. You said one lower hose is leaking. It is a rubber hose that you can pick up for next to nothing and cut to length. However, I would follow what Hashim said and replace it with a silicone hose so you never have to worry about it again.

Z1 makes silicone lines for the upper hoses if those are leaking, but I have not seen a silicone kit specifically for the lower hoses. They do sell silicone hose for $12/ft. at Z1 (if it is the right size), but I'm sure you can find it cheaper elsewhere.

Upper PS lines: https://www.z1motorsports.com/z1-pro...t-p-12018.html

Generic length silicone hose: https://www.z1motorsports.com/z1-pro...id-p-3440.html
The following 2 users liked this post by 4DRZ:
guy from norcal (07-15-2018), Rochester (07-16-2018)
Old 07-14-2018, 10:04 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,571 Likes on 3,422 Posts
Before I do anything, I need to assess things for myself. I'd be happy to just buy a simple length of silicon hose.
Old 07-16-2018, 09:31 AM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
So when I saw the whole thing sold as a single part, I assumed that was it. Are you saying there's more?
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
Nope. You said one lower hose is leaking. It is a rubber hose that you can pick up for next to nothing and cut to length. However, I would follow what Hashim said and replace it with a silicone hose so you never have to worry about it again.

Z1 makes silicone lines for the upper hoses if those are leaking, but I have not seen a silicone kit specifically for the lower hoses. They do sell silicone hose for $12/ft. at Z1 (if it is the right size), but I'm sure you can find it cheaper elsewhere.
yes this...I've ordered silicone hoses from Conceptz, Z1, HPS and Ali Express for various lines on my car, the quality was pretty much identical, with only the aliexpress stuff standing out as being slightly better in that the preformed hoses had the best fitment and never required trimming but silicone is easy to cut and trim for any use
Old 07-18-2018, 02:08 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Upper PS lines: https://www.z1motorsports.com/z1-pro...t-p-12018.html

Generic length silicone hose: https://www.z1motorsports.com/z1-pro...id-p-3440.html
I got under the car today for an oil change, and to scope out this PS fluid leak situation. It seems the leak was the little 4" section of hose leading into the cooler, and has nothing to do with the entire PS hose assembly. So that's easy. I'll just buy that little hose and get with my mechanic next month for a PS fluid swap.

Good man, 4DRZ.

While under the car, I scoped out the transmission fluid inlet and drain plugs. I'm not comfortable crawling all the way down there, but suppose I really should DIY that one. Or... if the car is already at the shop for the PS fluid. I'm such a coward about some of these things. IDK.

[edit]

Seems that little piece of hose isn't a unique part, and instead is a component of the larger aforementioned Lower Hose Assembly. And since I can't evaluate the size without removing it, that brings me right back to the $65 unit.

Last edited by Rochester; 07-19-2018 at 07:43 AM.
Old 07-18-2018, 03:54 PM
hexotic
DIY Cheapskate/Mod

Received 587 Likes on 392 Posts
I got under the car today for an oil change, and to scope out this PS fluid leak situation. It seems the leak was the little 4" section of hose leading into the cooler, and has nothing to do with the entire PS hose assembly. So that's easy. I'll just buy that little hose and get with my mechanic next month for a PS fluid swap.

Good man, 4DRZ.

While under the car, I scoped out the transmission fluid inlet and drain plugs. I'm not comfortable crawling all the way down there, but suppose I really should DIY that one. Or... if the car is already at the shop for the PS fluid. I'm such a coward about some of these things. IDK.

[edit]

Seems that little piece of hose isn't a unique part, and instead is a component of the larger aforementioned Lower Hose Assembly. And since I can't evaluate the size without removing it, that brings me right back to the $65 unit. Derp.
John, I'm a bit confused, but is this the hose in question? This link may help, final reply has sizes.
https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-cou...hose-size.html
Old 07-18-2018, 03:55 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by hexotic
John, I'm a bit confused, but is this the hose in question? This link may help, final reply has sizes.
https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-cou...hose-size.html
At the bottom if item #10, which is the entire lower hose assembly. There's a 4" hose that goes from the assembly to the cooler, and it's held in place on both ends by a simple squeeze-clamp. What my mechanic did was move the clamp down the middle and out of the way, then wrapped two small worm clamps around the leaking end. In looking at it today, there's no more leak, and it seems to have temporarily stemmed the tide, so to speak.

OK, here's what I'm going to do, inspired in part by my mechanic saying he'd rather have the OEM part over aftermarket silicon. I'm going to buy the entire lower hose assembly, and hand it to him. Done with it, and knowing that if one of the pieces was failing, perhaps the others are going bad too.

On the one hand, this feels like a sledgehammer for a carpet tack. But on the other hand... peace of mind that the lower PS hoses will be solid for the next six years, give or take.

Last edited by Rochester; 07-18-2018 at 04:03 PM.
The following users liked this post:
hexotic (07-18-2018)
Old 07-18-2018, 05:54 PM
Nico-derm
Premier Member

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts
It’s not like there is a huge cost to the assembly, so what are you really saving by not replacing the whole thing. Peace of mind is worth the extra $40 in part, not to mention the labour is probably the same or less when you look at fab/fitment of a section.
Old 07-19-2018, 04:29 PM
hexotic
DIY Cheapskate/Mod

Received 587 Likes on 392 Posts
Package from China today, with two neck pillows, $36 off eBay.

I know this is an ancient post, but I just realized yours are beige in the stone interior, and mine are stone in the beige interior... lol. If you're still using them, I removed all the china stuffing and bought a few bags of cotton. They're now softer but at the same time a bit less bulky looking.
Old 07-19-2018, 05:38 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by hexotic
I know this is an ancient post, but I just realized yours are beige in the stone interior, and mine are stone in the beige interior... lol. If you're still using them, I removed all the china stuffing and bought a few bags of cotton. They're now softer but at the same time a bit less bulky looking.
Oh, God. Those things. I never used them, for fear that if I got into an accident, they would be a problem with the active read-rest system and the airbags or something...

Anyway, pretty sure they're in the attic somewhere. And yeah, the color is a better match for Wheat than Stone.
Old 08-10-2018, 08:56 AM
Rochester
Administrator

4DRZ finally got around to installing the Z1 Motorsports polyurethane engine mounts. I've been waiting for years for someone exactly like him to take on this modification for a similarly modded 6MT Sedan.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/build-t...ml#post4209952

This is officially, absolutely on my mod list. Making the two big-ticket items remaining these mounts, and a dyno-tune. Not that $200 plus a day at the shop is a "big ticket", but everything being relative, it is what it is. Anyway, very jazzed to make this happen someday.

In the meantime, my car is dead in my garage. I have an electrical problem involving the ignition. Thought it was something as simple as the clutch position switch, but that wasn't it. Or maybe the wiring to the switch is a loose connection. IDK. Whatever the problem, the car is dead, and I'm supper miserable about it. Running scenarios through my head, like how in the world I'm going to get it out of the garage, down my driveway, and up on a flat-bad... assuming it comes to that, which I really don't want to do. It just sucks, and I've got a big sad right now.
Old 08-10-2018, 03:13 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Glad I could inspire you to do the motor mounts. I am already use to them, but I still like them. Sorry to hear about your car. Can you jump start it? When was the last time you got a new battery?
Old 08-10-2018, 03:32 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Glad I could inspire you to do the motor mounts. I am already use to them, but I still like them. Sorry to hear about your car. Can you jump start it? When was the last time you got a new battery?
Not the battery. I've got power.

It's behaving like the clutch position switch is snafu, which happened once before. Except when I bought a replacement, it's still not working. Next step is to hardwire/bypass the connector and see if the circuit is intact. (Paperclip.) I also need to test the connectors with a volt-meter, so that I can pretend to know what I'm doing.

Battery is only two years old. Starter is original.
Old 08-10-2018, 05:04 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Well that seems strange. I hope I don't run into that. I hate trying to diagnose electrical issues- ie. my comical experience with my driver's side airbag after putting in the Sparco seat...
Old 08-10-2018, 05:09 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Well that seems strange. I hope I don't run into that. I hate trying to diagnose electrical issues- ie. my comical experience with my driver's side airbag after putting in the Sparco seat...
Paperclip did not bypass the connection. I've tried two different clutch position switches (one new, one with only 7k miles on it), and still no connection. At this point my only thought is the wires themselves are loose at the little harness/clip. So I'm taking a break, and going to see if that's the case later.
Old 08-10-2018, 06:51 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Good luck!

Quick Reply: Rochester's new G