Build Threads

Rochester's new G

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2018, 12:27 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,573 Likes on 3,424 Posts
Originally Posted by Hashim
one other thing that you might try is experimenting with some dye to blend it if you're feeling brave...I have see n some ppl on here try it on the whole seat to make them red with the result looking quite terrible, but on a single section blending the extant colour it might not be so bad...
Pretty sure I've got a connection for re-dying the affected area, which was the (approximate) $200 expense. I would probably go that route, when the time comes.

I appreciate the insights, Hashim. Thanks.
Old 07-09-2018, 02:27 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
I just sold my pristine seat bottom for $200. If you can find a gray sport seat in good shape, I would probably go that route. Who knows how long a re-dye would even last. Taking the seat in and out is actually pretty easy. (Trust me. I've done it way too many times) Then it should just require transferring over the wiring harness and adjuster buttons from your original seat.

If you find one used, make sure to ask them to package it extremely well. When Nissan sent my new seat bottom they shipped it just in a box with no packaging. The box was absolutely destroyed from shipping since the seat bottom weighs about 50 lbs and probably got thrown all around during shipping. There were even big holes in the bottom from the seat rails. Surprisingly, it was still in great shape. I'm not sure how that was possible.
Old 07-10-2018, 08:26 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Received 399 Likes on 330 Posts
4DRZ makes a very good point. I actually bought an entire lower seat assembly that was in very good condition off ebay for $100. It was sacrificed so I could pull out the air bag weight sensor out of it, but if you keep you eye out you should be able to find a good deal on one.
Old 07-10-2018, 09:01 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by 2GoRNot2G
4DRZ makes a very good point. I actually bought an entire lower seat assembly that was in very good condition off ebay for $100. It was sacrificed so I could pull out the air bag weight sensor out of it, but if you keep you eye out you should be able to find a good deal on one.
The typical parts are for non-sport seats, and black. But you're right... if I keep waiting and looking, something could come along in the $100 range for the whole lower seat.
Old 07-11-2018, 09:04 AM
hexotic
DIY Cheapskate/Mod

Received 587 Likes on 392 Posts
Hmm, maybe its the clothes you wear? lots of rough denim? I have 126k km on the car, (78k 'muricas) beige seats, and besides a scratch I put in with a butt zipper, and some minor wrinkles on the bolsters, the leather is pristine. That looks almost as bad as mistreated semi alanine leather on a Q60.

I guess its time to grab a convertible seat and retrofit the cooled seat function into your G . Its been done with a G I saw at my mechanic's place. I joke of course, its a heap of cash.
Old 07-11-2018, 09:12 AM
Rochester
Administrator

IDK, hexotic. I think it's just a defect in the leather where it's breaking down. It's not the clothes I wear. 99% of the time it's just normal blue jeans.

Anyway... car is at my old mechanic's shop today for a coolant flush, brake & clutch fluid swap. While he has the car, I'm asking him to give his assessment on my transmission noise, that I think is the input shaft bearing.
Old 07-11-2018, 11:08 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

The noise you are hearing is not the throwout bearing? My shop replaced that as a precaution when they were diagnosing a noise that turned out to be the starter since it is so common on these cars.
Old 07-11-2018, 07:10 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Some basic maintenance at the shop. Materials and lift time... all in for $290. That's pretty fair, IMO. All OEM fluids.
  • Drained the brake system, and bled the lines with new fluid.
  • Drained the clutch oil, and bled the line with new fluid.
  • Flushed and filled the engine coolant.

I asked him to assess the lifetime expectations of my brakes, and he said they're fine, easily good for another couple of years considering how little I actually drive the car. Granted, there's some rust on the rotor edges, and starting in at spots at the hats, but the big Akebono rotors are smooth, and there's still plenty of pad in each caliper.

On the one hand, I'm kind of disappointed because I've been wanting a 2-piece-rotor brake upgrade, with some better pads. But on the other hand... that's money best spent when the brakes are failing. Anyway, I need to reorganize my plans and push brakes down the calendar somewhere.

Now for this transmission noise - It could be the input shaft bearing, but he didn't think so; that a failing input shaft bearing would likely start to growl loudly under load, and it doesn't. He thinks it's the throw-out bearing, and not so much that it's failing, but experiencing a resonance when resting. It might actually be something that always was, and I only just now am starting to notice it. Or it might be something that will never get worse, and be like this for the lifetime of the car. Or it might fail and take out my clutch and flywheel.

I think it's new. And I think I'm just going to lay low until or if it ever gets worse. And if need be, he said it's a two-hour job to swap in a new throw-out bearing. Maybe three. The bearing itself is inexpensive.

As for the rest of the car, all aspects of the suspension, exhaust and steering are solid. However, one of the lower PS lines has a slow leak. I have to research those parts and get on that.

Last edited by Rochester; 07-12-2018 at 09:33 AM.
Old 07-12-2018, 10:38 AM
guy from norcal
Registered Member

Received 352 Likes on 316 Posts
That is a really weird wear pattern on your seat. Could it be from your bedazzled skinny jeans? J/K
The following 2 users liked this post by guy from norcal:
hexotic (07-13-2018), r2dmax (07-12-2018)
Old 07-13-2018, 12:34 PM
hexotic
DIY Cheapskate/Mod

Received 587 Likes on 392 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
OK, here's a picture of the seat. I'm at 39K miles, with leather that was cleaned often throughout the first 20K, and conditioned regularly with Leatherique since then. It's simply wearing through the middle, and there's no stopping it.

I know it's not a big deal, but it's so obviously not good that it bugs me every time I go to sit in the car. I've got the name and number of the guy the local leather shops use for repair work, which I'm hoping to pursue later this year. It's only going to get worse.

Right buttcheek clinched tight, buns of steel, while the left floats with the clutch leg.
Old 07-13-2018, 03:19 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Some basic maintenance at the shop. Materials and lift time... all in for $290. That's pretty fair, IMO. All OEM fluids.
  • Drained the brake system, and bled the lines with new fluid.
  • Drained the clutch oil, and bled the line with new fluid.
  • Flushed and filled the engine coolant.

I asked him to assess the lifetime expectations of my brakes, and he said they're fine, easily good for another couple of years considering how little I actually drive the car. Granted, there's some rust on the rotor edges, and starting in at spots at the hats, but the big Akebono rotors are smooth, and there's still plenty of pad in each caliper.

On the one hand, I'm kind of disappointed because I've been wanting a 2-piece-rotor brake upgrade, with some better pads. But on the other hand... that's money best spent when the brakes are failing. Anyway, I need to reorganize my plans and push brakes down the calendar somewhere.

Now for this transmission noise - It could be the input shaft bearing, but he didn't think so; that a failing input shaft bearing would likely start to growl loudly under load, and it doesn't. He thinks it's the throw-out bearing, and not so much that it's failing, but experiencing a resonance when resting. It might actually be something that always was, and I only just now am starting to notice it. Or it might be something that will never get worse, and be like this for the lifetime of the car. Or it might fail and take out my clutch and flywheel.

I think it's new. And I think I'm just going to lay low until or if it ever gets worse. And if need be, he said it's a two-hour job to swap in a new throw-out bearing. Maybe three. The bearing itself is inexpensive.

As for the rest of the car, all aspects of the suspension, exhaust and steering are solid. However, one of the lower PS lines has a slow leak. I have to research those parts and get on that.
I thought that sounded like a throw out bearing.

At least a PS line is really just a rubber hose. If you ever plan on doing any more autocrosses, this would also be a good time to at least upgrade the PS fluid as our cars like to cook the fluid and spray it all over the engine bay. I swapped to Redline fluid and they actually recommended their ATF fluid. I even kept the same PS cooler and the issue has not resurfaced, even after a number of track days.
Old 07-13-2018, 03:22 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by 4DRZ
I thought that sounded like a throw out bearing.

At least a PS line is really just a rubber hose. If you ever plan on doing any more autocrosses, this would also be a good time to at least upgrade the PS fluid as our cars like to cook the fluid and spray it all over the engine bay. I swapped to Redline fluid and they actually recommended their ATF fluid. I even kept the same PS cooler and the issue has not resurfaced, even after a number of track days.
PS fluid is still original, at 40K miles. Everything else is good as of today. Granted, I'm going to change my transmission fluid (for the second time) as a DIY next month, and I did my diff gear oil last year. But to your point, when I have him swap lower PS hoses, he'll be swapping PS fluid at the same time.

So many fluids...

engine oil
differential gear oil
transmission gear oil
brake fluid
clutch fluid
coolant fluid
PS fluid

Last edited by Rochester; 07-13-2018 at 03:36 PM.
Old 07-14-2018, 06:27 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by 4DRZ
At least a PS line is really just a rubber hose.
Nope. It's a whole collection of tubes and hoses sold as a single piece, called the power steering return line assembly. For about $65.

https://www.infinitipartscheap.com/p...yABEgI8qvD_BwE
Old 07-14-2018, 10:23 AM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
Nope. It's a whole collection of tubes and hoses sold as a single piece, called the power steering return line assembly. For about $65.

https://www.infinitipartscheap.com/p...yABEgI8qvD_BwE
If I'm not mistaken, thats the hardlines, clamps and hoses being sold as one unit. If the hardlines are in good shape (they usually dont fail) you can just change the clamp and hose parts or even upgrade to silicone... I've slowly been replacing the clamps and rubber hoses on everything as i have been doing maintence over the past two years and replacing anything rubber with red silicon cause they are more durable and its easier to see if anythings damaged/leaking.... The PS lines/clamps are the only ones I have left to do i think
Old 07-14-2018, 12:37 PM
Rochester
Administrator

When I picked the car up, the mechanic said the lower PS lines were leaking. He repositioned the clamps and told me to research parts replacements. So when I saw the whole thing sold as a single part, I assumed that was it. Are you saying there's more?

Clearly I need to roll the car up on ramps, drop the undertray and look for myself.

Last edited by Rochester; 07-19-2018 at 07:43 AM.

Quick Reply: Rochester's new G