Build Threads

Rochester's new G

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 02:41 PM
owslystnly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
And the 3 BRZ/FRS cars were dominating the track.
Interesting. I assume the owners removed the prius drifty tires and put real tires on?
Old 07-05-2013, 02:59 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,573 Likes on 3,424 Posts
Originally Posted by owslystnly
Interesting. I assume the owners removed the prius drifty tires and put real tires on?
I have no idea, man. Whatever the tires, they went around the track without any drama, and yet posted top times. The cars that drifted around cones and looked to be right on the edge... lots of fun, I'm guessing, but not so fast.
Old 08-05-2013, 01:57 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Big box on my doorstep this afternoon.

This is the R2C Intake kit, purchased from Tunerzstore at a very reasonable cost through the Forum. Pictures don't do justice for this Black Nickel finish. It's a beautiful, dark chrome, and exactly what I was hoping for.

Looking forward to the install.

Old 08-05-2013, 02:23 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Sweet look John
If I remember correctly wasn't it you that said intakes were just a waste of money for just a "sound generator"?
I could be mistaken since I'm old and my memory isn't that great, but I think I remember that pretty clearly

At any rate, I know you'll be happy w/ that purchase, even though all it's good for is noise, but a damn nice looking noise-maker
Old 08-05-2013, 02:34 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by blnewt
Sweet look John
If I remember correctly wasn't it you that said intakes were just a waste of money for just a "sound generator"?
I could be mistaken since I'm old and my memory isn't that great, but I think I remember that pretty clearly

At any rate, I know you'll be happy w/ that purchase, even though all it's good for is noise, but a damn nice looking noise-maker
Your failing memory is likely putting words in my mouth. There may have been a few times where I described an unshielded SRI in a similar fashion, and would have been more accurate than otherwise. However, this kit is shielded with a nice fit over the OEM inlets, utilizing a long-tube design for the mid-pipes, thereby eliminating the corrugated OEM flex tubing, and is mated to a pair of the best filter elements in the industry.

It's not going on the dyno, but anecdotal evidence shows the R2C has modest gains under the curve, where it's more useful for the daily driver than peak HP (IMHO).

And yes, there will be noise. I anticipate a healthy bit of noise.
The following users liked this post:
blnewt (08-05-2013)
Old 08-05-2013, 03:25 PM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
I am one who thinks SRI are noise makers. But definitely keep us updated on how it feels. I am particular interested in the low end.
Old 08-05-2013, 06:16 PM
G37-Pearl

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
roch i have to say my front end now looks great i got compliment from everyone see it

thanks

Old 08-05-2013, 07:02 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by G37-Pearl
roch i have to say my front end now looks great i got compliment from everyone see it

thanks
Of course, you know all I did was spread the idea around after seeing it here online, just like you.

But you're very welcome, G37-Pearl.
Old 08-05-2013, 07:20 PM
Redpit

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
I've got the same intake in black. I think you'll be happy. Install is a breeze, but the new hose they give you that comes off the intake is a joke. Its flimsy and collapses on itself rather easy. I ended up using the stock hoses. One (I believe the passenger side) fits near perfect by simply turning it around. The drivers side takes a little more work and finesse, but its easily enough accomplished. Another good trick is to use rolled up masking tape (so its sticky on both sides) along the seals of the shields. Just barely press on the tape as you want it to comes off easy. You want the shield to seal to the hood so keep on adjusting the shields upward until the tape transfers to the hood when you close it.

Sound is awesome. Gives the VQ a nice mean growl. My intake growl is heard above my exhaust when in the cabin. Yeah its that menacing! Whats nice also is that just cruising sounds remarkably, unremarkable. Basically sounds stock, but at WOT it sounds beastly.

As far as gains there is really nothing special to note, but that could be said of any intake on the market. Maybe I gained a few hp is some spots and lost a few in others. Not really a big deal either way. It certainly sounds faster though. Good Luck with the install.
Old 08-05-2013, 08:52 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by Redpit
I've got the same intake in black. I think you'll be happy. Install is a breeze, but the new hose they give you that comes off the intake is a joke. Its flimsy and collapses on itself rather easy. I ended up using the stock hoses. One (I believe the passenger side) fits near perfect by simply turning it around. The drivers side takes a little more work and finesse, but its easily enough accomplished.
I've been working on it for a while, and am just now wrapping things up... engine cover, FSTB, etc.

The hose they give you is useless, you're right. The driver's side works well enough with the OEM breather hose, but I found you're better off using the little worm clamps, because they work better than the OEM crimp clamps here, seeing as how you have to bend the hose a little more than intended.

The passenger side... I cut about 3/4" off the bottom, and removed the center sleeve, so the hose could fit under the fuel line. That seemed to work for me. Total PITA, if you ask me. Oh, and I sliced up my knuckle pretty good with the razor blade, because idiot.

Finally, I'm none too thrilled with the brackets and single bolts on the brackets. I'm going to be obsessively checking fitment for quite some time, I'm sure of it.

About to go for a ride soon as I clean up a little.
Old 08-05-2013, 09:48 PM
Rochester
Administrator

...and went ramping for about 20 minutes.

At idle, after being warmed up, there's a rather deep drone that wasn't there before. Can't say it's exactly a pleasant thing, but it's subtle, and goes away the moment the revs go above idle.

At normal acceleration, there's barely a whisper of added grunt or noise. At least, none that was immediately obvious. In other words, the car remains entirely drive-able with the family in it.

At WOT, there's a very pleasant growl. It's deep and wonderful, however far more quiet than I was expecting. Honestly, I'm a little disappointed. I was expecting all hell to break loose (in terms of noise), but nope. That's just not the case.

So far, my butt dyno tells me things are relatively unchanged. If there are gains here, they are imperceptible. However, I will say this: goosing the throttle feels more responsive. It kicks me in the backbone quicker when I take my foot off the throttle and then punch it back. Not that this means much, either. It's not like that's how I drive. But there it is anyway.

As for looks, well... it's freaking beautiful. Love it. Pics tomorrow.
Old 08-05-2013, 10:08 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by Rochester
...and went ramping for about 20 minutes.

At idle, after being warmed up, there's a rather deep drone that wasn't there before. Can't say it's exactly a pleasant thing, but it's subtle, and goes away the moment the revs go above idle.

At normal acceleration, there's barely a whisper of added grunt or noise. At least, none that was immediately obvious. In other words, the car remains entirely drive-able with the family in it.

At WOT, there's a very pleasant growl. It's deep and wonderful, however far more quiet than I was expecting. Honestly, I'm a little disappointed. I was expecting all hell to break loose (in terms of noise), but nope. That's just not the case.

So far, my butt dyno tells me things are relatively unchanged. If there are gains here, they are imperceptible. However, I will say this: goosing the throttle feels more responsive. It kicks me in the backbone quicker when I take my foot off the throttle and then punch it back. Not that this means much, either. It's not like that's how I drive. But there it is anyway.

As for looks, well... it's freaking beautiful. Love it. Pics tomorrow.
Did you reset the ECU? It took me a bit of trying different rpm ranges but my SRI just ignites w/ very aggressive, loud note at about 3800rpm WOT all the way to the rev limiter. The difference for me was night & day, but maybe another factor would be coupled w/ my exhaust could very well amplify the whole experience.
Sorry you had a tough install but sounds like it came out real nice, look forward to pics, hope you wiped off the blood
Old 08-05-2013, 11:35 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Did you reset the ECU?
Nope. Just an intake, didn't think it would matter.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:50 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by Rochester
Nope. Just an intake, didn't think it would matter.
First instruction on my SRI was to disconnect negative battery cable, not sure if this was to reset the ECU or just for general safety, but it did seem to have more jump initially so who knows?
Old 08-06-2013, 12:07 AM
Rochester
Administrator

First instruction on my SRI was to disconnect negative battery cable, not sure if this was to reset the ECU or just for general safety, but it did seem to have more jump initially so who knows?
Yeah, same here. But the god's honest truth is that I simply unclipped the MAF sensors before I remembered that I should have disconnected the battery. It didn't occur to me that the battery disconnect would be for the ECU relearn. Hmm. Looking back, the instructions with this kit specifically say, "No ECU reprogramming is required." But that just means it doesn't need to be tuned, not reset.

I should probably reset it and play around.

Quick Reply: Rochester's new G