Notices
Build Threads

Rochester's new G

Old Yesterday, 09:08 PM
Rochester
Reluctant Moderater

Liked 2,785 Times in 2,174 Posts
Originally Posted by jpowersjr2 View Post
Thank you so much for posting this! I have the same brace and I'm installing it here very soon along with my Whiteline diff bushings. My mind was just slightly blown with that little trick you came up with, definitely using that.

I'm glad to hear good things so far and especially that the fitment was on point. I think the brace looks pretty cool up there .
Glad you enjoyed my MacGyver moment.

Want another tip? Like I said, I installed the subframe bolts by inserting the bolt downward, and the nuts on the underside (instead of the other way around.) Either way, you also have some washers to spread the connection. So I used some double-sided indoor/outdoor tape to attach a washer to the underside of the bolt head. That way, the washer was fixed for the install.
The following users liked this post: Rochester
jpowersjr2 (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 11:26 PM
Rochester
Reluctant Moderater

Liked 2,785 Times in 2,174 Posts
Took the car out again late night, partly to check out the new headlight bulbs (nice!), but mostly so I can get straight in my head the review I just put down. And I wasn't wrong the first time around, the driving dynamics have certainly changed for the better. I ran a couple of second gear WOT shifts into 3rd, and it was like butter, clicking right into place. First gear crawls around the parking lot are smoother, and first gear launches hook up with authority. It's a collection of things, for sure... including wide rear performance tires and LSD.

Anyway, this brace is a solid mod for the 6MT. I keep seeing the phrase "get rid of the slop in the rear", but honestly I didn't know I had slop in the rear until I got rid of it and had the comparative context to know it's gone.

I wonder how it will hold up over time, like 3 or 4 years from now? On the one hand, this is a lot of real-world changes sitting on two little bolts. But I've got the Whiteline diff bushings back there too, and Z1's transmission mount further up front, so I'm already reinforcing the drive train in a way that should (?) put less stress on the diff brace than otherwise. IDK... not an engineer.

And if I'm digging this so much, will the motor mount swap be that much better, less or more of the same? Still two to four weeks out for that project.

Last edited by Rochester; Today at 08:17 AM.
Old Today, 09:16 AM
Hashim
Super Moderator

Liked 214 Times in 190 Posts
great review ...looking forward to getting mine even more now
The following users liked this post: Hashim
Rochester (Today)