great review ...looking forward to getting mine even more now
The following users liked this post:
Rochester (04-19-2019)
Old 04-22-2019, 02:21 PM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
Cold fronts warm up over the lake, and warm fronts pick up the moisture dumping it here as lake effect snow.

Original HID bulbs for over a decade? It's time. Heck, it's past time, Hashim.

Here's a good video on the bulb replacement:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShSW-Vq7T1M
Did the bulbs over the weekend while tending to some other stuff...this video was very helpful-thanks for posting it,.... I don't know how he got the camera angle he did but it was exactly what I needed....so far I'm not sure if I can tell a difference (I haven't driven in the dark yet)...but I did notice that both my bulbs were clouded white in the little round part of the glass in the middle and the new ones were clear so it probably is going to be much brighter.. now I Just gotta wait for my diff brace (shipped today whohoo!)....all your praise for it is making me impatient to get it on my car...
Old 04-22-2019, 02:32 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,571 Likes on 3,422 Posts
Originally Posted by Hashim
Did the bulbs over the weekend while tending to some other stuff...this video was very helpful-thanks for posting it,.... I don't know how he got the camera angle he did but it was exactly what I needed....so far I'm not sure if I can tell a difference (I haven't driven in the dark yet)...but I did notice that both my bulbs were clouded white in the little round part of the glass in the middle and the new ones were clear so it probably is going to be much brighter.. now I Just gotta wait for my diff brace (shipped today whohoo!)....all your praise for it is making me impatient to get it on my car...
You're very welcome, Hashim. I'm happy to help.

Pretty sure you'll notice how much stronger your headlights pierce the dark. And I know you'll like the diff brace. Go bump 4DRZ's review thread with pics and comments, and I'll look forward to reading them.

6MT, right? And do you already have the diff bushing upgrades?

Last edited by Rochester; 04-22-2019 at 02:42 PM.
Old 04-22-2019, 03:03 PM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
You're very welcome, Hashim. I'm happy to help.

Pretty sure you'll notice how much stronger your headlights pierce the dark. And I know you'll like the diff brace. Go bump 4DRZ's review thread with pics and comments, and I'll look forward to reading them.

6MT, right? And do you already have the diff bushing upgrades?
I wish it was the 6MT...still running the old 5AT...I know someone (maybe you) mentioned somewhere else that the 7AT guys haven't noticed as big of a difference...my expectations are that it will be somewhere in between as I'm running 3.69 gears with an LSD with the 5AT and AWD

funny thing about the collars...bought them last April and they're still sitting on my work bench though, never got a chance to install them s....I'm thinking I will put in just the brace first as I anticipate it to be a relatively quick install and I will drive it around a few weeks and put in the collars on a day when I can set more time aside for the install and see if I notice a difference...I'll definitely add to 4door Z's thread when I get it on....
Old 04-22-2019, 08:40 PM
AARONHL
Registered Member

Received 57 Likes on 54 Posts
Thanks for sharing- are those 4 bolts the only bolts needed to screw on (and/or off)? edit- im actually confusing it with the other diff mount so where did you buy this one?

Last edited by AARONHL; 04-22-2019 at 08:46 PM.
Old 04-22-2019, 10:18 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by AARONHL
Thanks for sharing- are those 4 bolts the only bolts needed to screw on (and/or off)? edit- im actually confusing it with the other diff mount so where did you buy this one?
I set up a Group Buy thread with Bell back in January. That's how I bought the mount, from the manufacturer.

Bell makes two diff braces. A three-point brace intended for aftermarket diff covers (although it also works for the OEM diff cover), and a four-point brace that only works with the OEM diff cover. The one I bought and installed was the 4-point brace, which has four bolts... two large ones on the diff, and two small ones on the bottom of the sub-frame. The 3-point brace has two large bolts on the diff, and one large bolt on the side of the sub-frame.

Last edited by Rochester; 04-26-2019 at 08:43 AM.
Old 04-23-2019, 08:11 AM
Rochester
Administrator

As I think about the brace, and having been driving the car for 5 days now, it's becoming the new normal pretty quickly. Getting harder to compare before/after. But I know I like what it's done for the drive-train. It's all good.

Except I keep thinking about how all this because of two little bolts on the underside of the sub-frame. Don't know why that bugs me, but it bugs me.
Old 05-02-2019, 07:17 PM
2GoRNot2G
Premier Member

Received 399 Likes on 330 Posts
Thanks for the nice review of the differential brace. I still have a Nismo finned differential cover to install and am now considering adding this brace at the same time!
Old 05-10-2019, 06:56 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Motor Mounts

Motor Mounts installed yesterday. Here's the review thread:

https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...ml#post4241755

...and these are the OEM mounts, buh-bye.

Last edited by Rochester; 05-17-2019 at 08:57 AM.
Old 09-08-2019, 04:15 PM
Rochester
Administrator

I've not done anything to the car all summer. Not one thing since the Motor Mounts and Diff Brace. However, I am solid on my plan for a full set of 2-piece rotors from Z1 Motorsports. Along with SS brake lines, and a set of Hawk HPS pads. That's been the plan for a while, and it's still teed up for Spring 2020.

Took a few pics today, though. Here it is at 43,600 miles and almost 8 years of ownership.

Old 09-09-2019, 07:45 AM
projectpanda13
Registered Member

Received 261 Likes on 214 Posts
you car looks so good. I wish I was able to keep my car looking as clean as yours. I have the full set of Z1 2 piece rotors. I noticed the improved steering feel for the fronts, but I did't feel much for the rears. But then again, I'm not very good in detecting changes compared to a lot of folks. But weight is weight, and rotation weight reduction is where its at. keep it up brother.
The following users liked this post:
Rochester (09-09-2019)
Old 09-09-2019, 08:21 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Thank you, Panda. Kind words. I'm looking forward to the brake mods. Hearing someone being modest about their sensitivity to new mods, yet still aware of the changes to the steering... that's actually encouraging.

My guesses for performance are big grins about braking, steering feel, handling gains with quick turn-ins at low speeds, and maybe a change in how the rears hook up. Essentially welcome performance improvements that will become the new normal in few weeks. It's all good.

My best guess for appearance is sexy hardware behind my Vossens. Something not immediately noticeable, which makes it a mod more for me than something flashy for other people to see.
Old 09-09-2019, 03:49 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Thank you, Panda. Kind words. I'm looking forward to the brake mods. Hearing someone being modest about their sensitivity to new mods, yet still aware of the changes to the steering... that's actually encouraging.

My guesses for performance are big grins about braking, steering feel, handling gains with quick turn-ins at low speeds, and maybe a change in how the rears hook up. Essentially welcome performance improvements that will become the new normal in few weeks. It's all good.

My best guess for appearance is sexy hardware behind my Vossens. Something not immediately noticeable, which makes it a mod more for me than something flashy for other people to see.
I am with you on the appearance of these rotors just being for us car guys. I keep itching to paint my rotor hubs and brake calipers because I think they look horrible, but no one else has even mentioned it to me. #carguyproblems As far as performance goes for the Z1 2pc. rotors, I noticed an extremely slight improvement in acceleration, but did not notice anything about the steering change. I doubt I will notice anything with the rears in the future. I just hope my e-brake works without having to adjust it.
Old 09-09-2019, 04:09 PM
Rochester
Administrator

My intentions are to go with Z1's "sprinkle slot" design. I'm not too fond of drilled rotors, I think they look a little much. And I'm not into directional slots because my Vossens already have a directional consideration to the spokes, and that would be too many things going on. So... sprinkle slot it is.

I just wish they didn't call it sprinkle slot. Sounds kind of lame out loud.
Old 09-09-2019, 04:14 PM
projectpanda13
Registered Member

Received 261 Likes on 214 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
I am with you on the appearance of these rotors just being for us car guys. I keep itching to paint my rotor hubs and brake calipers because I think they look horrible, but no one else has even mentioned it to me. #carguyproblems As far as performance goes for the Z1 2pc. rotors, I noticed an extremely slight improvement in acceleration, but did not notice anything about the steering change. I doubt I will notice anything with the rears in the future. I just hope my e-brake works without having to adjust it.
For me, when I mention steering, it mostly the ease/effort required for turns. I noticed it when I went from the stock duckfeet wheels 24lb/25lb to lighter 20lbs/22lbs wheels. Then another change when I switched the rotors. But it could also be in my head. lol.

Z1 sent me the wrong rear hat (2015+ q60 i think) which were larger and I had adjusted the shoe all the way out. When I exchanged it for the correct one, I had to readjust everything. But I'd feel there's no need for adjustment unless your current brake shoe is super worn and the pushed out further.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rochester's new G