Brakes, Suspension, Wheels & Tires
Rollers and Rubbers (View All Posts)

Dealership Do Bad Alignment?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2019, 01:09 PM
ZzBloopzZ
Registered Member

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Exclamation Dealership Do Bad Alignment?

Hello,

Recently I had my local Infiniti dealership do a 4-wheel alignment. I don't know exactly how to read it, but I noticed the service rep saying even though the the Front, Left Caster is red of 3 Degrees 20 that it's fine. Is it me, or did the tech that did the alignment do a poor job? Basically, I do not know how to understand the alignment print out. I have attached it here for review.

Thanks!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Alignment - May 24, 2019.pdf (648.4 KB, 61 views)
Old 05-25-2019, 03:04 PM
codeflux
Registered Member

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
They tweaked your Toe, that was well out of spec, but that's it. This sheet looks like "the car didn't really need it, but they did it anyway, and charged you". Well, your tires will last longer with the Toe in spec.
Old 05-25-2019, 08:36 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
Looks like job done half assed.. Toe and camber is adjustable on the rear. While current settings are in spec, it would of been nice if they put each side at a middle position.

I had my last alignment done at the dealership too, but the guy knew the different between in spec and optimal.
Old 05-25-2019, 10:49 PM
Atowsley
Premier Member

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
Firestone for $140 has lifetime alignments. Pay once and get alignments anytime you want. Just something I found and have had 2 alignments done there so far.
Old 05-29-2019, 12:52 AM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Front suspension can only be adjusted for toe. Rear has toe and camber adjustments. If you were charged for more than these settings, you was robbed.
Old 06-01-2019, 10:40 AM
ZzBloopzZ
Registered Member

Exclamation

Originally Posted by slartibartfast
If you were charged for more than these settings, you was robbed.
What do you mean by this exactly? I paid $99.97 after tax for the alignment. Think I should go back and complain, and have them adjust it to be more optimal?

Thanks!
Old 06-01-2019, 10:41 AM
ZzBloopzZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Atowsley
Firestone for $140 has lifetime alignments. Pay once and get alignments anytime you want. Just something I found and have had 2 alignments done there so far.
I heard about this deal, seems they only do it on January 1 these days. Sadly, all of the Firestones in the DC area have terrible reviews. I assumed dealership would do better alignment service but guess not. :c/
Old 06-01-2019, 01:33 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Originally Posted by ZzBloopzZ
What do you mean by this exactly? I paid $99.97 after tax for the alignment. Think I should go back and complain, and have them adjust it to be more optimal?
Thanks!
Again, only toe is adjustable up front with the stock suspension. Your caster and camber are what they are and you'd have to buy adjustable front upper control arms to do anything about those settings. The aligner didn't adjust caster (because he couldn't), he only noted it was a bit on the low side. A hundred bucks isn't bad for what you got other than a dealer is usually the most expensive way to get any car work done.
Old 06-01-2019, 01:50 PM
ZzBloopzZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by slartibartfast
Again, only toe is adjustable up front with the stock suspension. Your caster and camber are what they are and you'd have to buy adjustable front upper control arms to do anything about those settings. The aligner didn't adjust caster (because he couldn't), he only noted it was a bit on the low side. A hundred bucks isn't bad for what you got other than a dealer is usually the most expensive way to get any car work done.
Understood. I did notice the car does drive more straight after testing various roads so in the end I'm happy I suppose. Thanks for sharing you knowledge/opinion. It really helps non car smart people like me!