Rollers and Rubbers (View All Posts)

Strange noises

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2017, 10:52 PM
giveherthatG
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Strange noises

So I bought another g37 coupe (after my g37 sedan was totaled) and i started noticing noises. I took it to infiniti and they said it was the wheel bearing and some uneven tire wear. Charged me $800 (Dealerships are the worst) to fix just the bearing. Later on, I went to a local shop and did the alignment. He was very professional and we went over what infiniti repaired (which was the bearing) He said that it is most likely a tire noise.... bearing noises and tire noises are very similar. He said to just drive it for a while.

So my question is... Will the alignment fix the tire noise? How long should I wait? or should I just grab new tires?

Last edited by giveherthatG; 10-25-2017 at 10:54 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-25-2017, 10:55 PM
giveherthatG
Registered Member

Originally Posted by giveherthatG
So I bought another g37 coupe (after my g37 sedan was totaled) and i started noticing noises. I took it to infiniti and they said it was the wheel bearing and some uneven tire wear. Charged me $800 (Dealerships are the worst) to fix just the bearing. Later on, I went to a local shop and did the alignment. He was very professional and we went over what infiniti repaired (which was the bearing) He said that it is most likely a tire noise.... bearing noises and tire noises are very similar. He said to just drive it for a while.

So my question is... Will the alignment fix the tire noise? How long should I wait? or should I just grab new tires?
2011 G37xS Fully loaded
Old 10-26-2017, 12:51 AM
hurleyguys

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
depends on what your tires look like. if there is cupping on your tires it might take a little bit to even it out as long as your alignment is good.
Old 10-26-2017, 12:44 PM
giveherthatG
Registered Member

Front Driver’s Side... 2 rear tires look like this as well.
Front passenger side. You can see its more worn that the other 3 tires. Cause of tire noise?
Originally Posted by hurleyguys
depends on what your tires look like. if there is cupping on your tires it might take a little bit to even it out as long as your alignment is good.
Old 10-26-2017, 12:45 PM
giveherthatG
Registered Member

Originally Posted by hurleyguys
im such a noob, idk much about reading tire wear
Old 10-28-2017, 02:17 PM
Victory
Registered Member

Received 153 Likes on 122 Posts
Look at the inside edge of the tire in the first pic. You're definitely wearing unevenly. the alignment is probably the underlying issue, but those tires will need replacing

HOW TO READ TIRE WEAR
Old 10-31-2017, 01:30 AM
Kris9884

Received 202 Likes on 186 Posts
Get an alignment BEFORE you get tires or you'll be replacing them again..
Old 10-31-2017, 10:45 AM
giveherthatG
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Victory
Look at the inside edge of the tire in the first pic. You're definitely wearing unevenly. the alignment is probably the underlying issue, but those tires will need replacing

HOW TO READ TIRE WEAR

Holy crap i just noticed that! Yea the tires do need replacing wow!!
Old 10-31-2017, 10:46 AM
giveherthatG
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Kris9884
Get an alignment BEFORE you get tires or you'll be replacing them again..

Yeah I got an alignment and i’m about to pick up some new tires today. There’s still some noise after the alignment but not as much as before. So probably the new tires are probably gonna fix the rest of the noise?
Old 10-31-2017, 09:01 PM
PNW_IPL
Registered Member

Received 543 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by giveherthatG
Yeah I got an alignment and i’m about to pick up some new tires today. There’s still some noise after the alignment but not as much as before. So probably the new tires are probably gonna fix the rest of the noise?
Get the noise free tires. Theyre more expsensive but silent at high speed and low crawls
Old 11-03-2017, 11:29 AM
Kris9884

Received 202 Likes on 186 Posts
Yeah road noise was one of the first things I noticed with this car. My daily driver is a Lexus GS so going from that to this on the weekend is night and day and probably pronounces it more lol.
Old 11-04-2017, 08:39 PM
saywat?
Registered Member

Received 276 Likes on 238 Posts
Well tire size plays a role in comfort and noise.
Old 11-11-2017, 10:17 AM
Rollo
Registered Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
Often if you have bearing noise you can jack up the car and spin the wheel and hear a faint noise even at low speed.

Of course this is an alignment issue...I wouldn't go back to that dealer.
Old 04-08-2018, 12:13 PM
giveherthatG
Registered Member

This a little late but the tires were worn out unevenly. Previous owner had hit the curb so hard, that it put the car out of alignment and damaged the bearing. They also drove the ****in thing for a while so the tires were worn unevenly. $1200 later (new tires, new bearing and alignment), everything was fixed. Smooth sailing now.

p.s. should have checked all that stuff before i bought it but hey it was a bargain price!