Brakes, Suspension, Wheels & Tires
Rollers and Rubbers (View All Posts)

Advice Seriously Needed

Old 02-02-2018, 02:18 PM
HotSawce
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Advice Seriously Needed

So here's the deal. My car was hit on the right side pretty hard. As a result, it caused the alignment to go way out whack, in the rear at least.

When I last checked my rear was Left: -.1 Camber (almost looks positive now), .8 Toe and Right: -3.4 Camber, -.2 Toe. In other words, they're all way off to the point where a normal alignment won't be able to get the car into spec. After having a shop take a quick look at the suspension, he could tell that some things definitely weren't right and suggested me to a shop that specializes in suspension to essentially fix everything from scratch which will most likely cost a small fortune.

That said, I plan to lower my car on eibach springs. What's interesting is that while this will only make the negative camber on the right side worse, it might actually help correct the left side camber. Not quite sure what'll happen with the toe, but like how with my camber one is too negative and one too positive, I think something similar might happen. But because I'm tight on cash r.n, I'm wondering if the better move is to throw on the arms, as well as the toe bolts, and see if I can get the car into spec that way, instead of going the far more expensive route of replacing/bending/fixing what's wrong at a suspension shop.

What do you guys think?
Old 02-02-2018, 02:29 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 589 Likes on 492 Posts
I'd be more concerned about frame damage than lowering the car. Get it to a proper body shop with the correct equipment to make sure the body is in spec or can be corrected to be in spec.

Don't you have full coverage on the car?

Today's kids!@#
Old 02-02-2018, 02:50 PM
HotSawce
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Jsolo
I'd be more concerned about frame damage than lowering the car. Get it to a proper body shop with the correct equipment to make sure the body is in spec or can be corrected to be in spec.

Don't you have full coverage on the car?

Today's kids!@#
Bought the car rebuilt. At the end of the day, what's most important is the alignment right? So if the camber arms and toe bolts can do that, why not go that route?

Last edited by HotSawce; 02-02-2018 at 02:57 PM.
Old 02-02-2018, 03:31 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 589 Likes on 492 Posts
Not if the car's structural integrity has been compromised.

Last edited by JSolo; 02-02-2018 at 06:30 PM. Reason: if, not of
Old 02-02-2018, 06:26 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Jsolo is on point (as always, lol) you may have something as simple as a bent OEM camber arm or other suspension part, or something much more concerning. You might get your car safely lifted and examine as much as you can, comparing suspension components on the correct side vs. what is showing up way out of spec.

Measure any parts you see in question vs. undamaged opposing part, might see something obvious.

And getting a professional involved w/ something as important as you & your families safety (along w/ fellow drivers) should be part of the plan prior to just buying new parts and hoping the problem will be corrected.
G/L
Old 02-03-2018, 10:19 AM
Bravo at
Premier Member

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts
Jsolo and Blnewt are giving sound advice. I'm in for pics of the right side of your car...But you have to make sure the frame/chassis is at least square. To your questions "So if the camber arms and toe bolts can do that, why not go that route? " One answer is because you're HotSawce and not HotMess.
Old 02-03-2018, 06:15 PM
Ca428
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If the car was rebuilt, the question is, was it rebuilt correctly? And if this was the second hit in the car's life, well...OUCH!! The car may NEVER be right again.
Old 02-05-2018, 12:56 PM
Surfnazi
Registered Member

Received 176 Likes on 165 Posts
Pray you don't have a bent subframe or tears