Brakes, Suspension, Wheels & Tires
Rollers and Rubbers (View All Posts)

Lowering Spring install Montco, crazy estimates.

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2017, 01:01 PM
nonlinearedits
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
Lowering Spring install Montco, crazy estimates.

I'm having some issues finding someone to put my Swift springs on my AWD sedan. I contacted PSI and they quoted me $600, I tried two local garages and they quoted me around the same.

The last garage I called, the guy said the estimate was based on his program saying it would take 4 hours to do the rear which he didn't think sounded legit at all so he was saying $500 would be the extreme high end of the estimate.

I don't have a camber kit yet, I wanted to see how far out of spec the alignment was once the springs were on to see if I need the whole kit, front or just back. The last garage said he can do that after the install real quick and let me know.

Should I go with the last garage that gave the $500 quote being as he was pretty up front with the fact that if it was significantly less time the final cost would be significantly less. Or does someone else have any recommendations? Car is my daily driver or else I'd do this myself. I just can't afford to break or screw something up during the install and not make it to work 30 miles away the next day.

Just for an idea on how bad my luck is, in the last 4 months, I was hit by a car twice snapping my leg in half, moved into a house that the washer exploded and the dishwasher broke in the first week, had my lawnmower blow up the second week I had it, had a tree fall taking out **** in my back yard and the icing on the cake was breaking the exhaust hanger studs off backing the nuts out installing my tanabes. And then the $535 bill for welding vibrants in. So... to say I really don't want to push my luck doing the install myself, is a complete understatement.
Old 08-22-2017, 01:10 PM
Splunk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's about right. I paid 500 for my springs when I had them but they had to take the extra step and compress the coils. Coilovers a little easier to install but the cost would most likely be the same.
Old 08-22-2017, 01:13 PM
nonlinearedits
Registered Member

jesus. I read about people getting them done for $200?! I'll take them to the last shop I called then since they were the most honest about the whole thing. Thanks!
Old 08-22-2017, 03:29 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Only the fronts require any major dis-assembly, which includes using a spring compressor. The rears are a piece of cake. That last shop would get my money. See if you can get him down to $450.
Old 08-22-2017, 07:36 PM
nonlinearedits
Registered Member

That number was hourly labor based on 4 hours on the rear... If the rears definitely don't take 4 hours (which there's no way in hell they can) that number would come down substantially he said. Got a second quote for $500+ w/out alignment. This guy said he'd do alignment in that cost too so I guess I'll go with him. Shame he's not open on the weekends rolls eyes lol.
Old 08-22-2017, 07:42 PM
NealP
Premier Member

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts
If you want to save some dough then rent (borrow) a spring compressor at your local auto store and do it yourself. Really not too difficult just time consuming. The other alternative is to remove the fonts yourself and take them along with the new springs to a garage and ask them to swap them for you. The rears are a peice of cake and a complete waste of money to pay someone unless you have no time or tools.
Old 08-22-2017, 08:07 PM
nonlinearedits
Registered Member

I'm just trying to weigh how to complete this cost wise in the event I need camber kits installed. I'm assuming the cost of installing camber kits post spring install is going to be more than just getting them done all at once? 300 bills for springs, 125 for alignment, 500 for camber kit, 500+ for install? Roughly $1500 seems like a ton of money to get a 1" drop in the fender well. I'm half tempted to return all this stuff.
Old 08-22-2017, 09:08 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
You can probably get by w/ just a rear kit, so that's a $300 savings, and like slartibart said, the rears are simple, a 1/2 hour once the car is lifted and wheels removed. The rear camber kit is simple for the arms but the elongation of the toe bolt slots takes about another 1/2 hour if the shop has done it before, if they are new to that "job" then it could get stupid unfortunately

The first time I ever did that job, it took me about 4 hours to do the F&R springs, F&R camber arms, and rear toe bolt slot job. For a shop that has a lift and all the tools to expedite the process it's about a 3 hr job all-in, not including alignment.
Old 08-22-2017, 09:13 PM
nonlinearedits
Registered Member

3 hour job for all is still a lot better than the 4 hours the "computer" guessed for the rears alone. I'll give the guy a call tomorrow and I'll try R/T once more to get their take on it. They were more expensive but I think they have more experience with this crap, so it may save me money in the time saved in the end.
Old 08-22-2017, 09:22 PM
nonlinearedits
Registered Member

I'm not sure how to handle this. Is it going to be more overall cost to have the camber kit installed after the fact? Should I see how close I can get it and then decide then?
Old 08-22-2017, 09:26 PM
nonlinearedits
Registered Member

Nevermind that last post. I just got a crazy quote from Import Parts Pro and ordered the whole set. Couldn't pass that up.
Old 08-22-2017, 09:32 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Never a bad idea to have the whole kit since you can easily get everything in spec w/out having to compromise your tires by having the fronts "close".

If you are in an area where you have plenty of shops around I'd take a couple hours and make the calls, and ask specifically if they have done the rear toe bolt job, for some it's a routine thing for others it's like something from another planet.

A shop well versed in this install should be able to give you a nice price and you'll probably get a better install. Might even post in the regional folders asking where a good suspension shop is in your area.
Old 08-24-2017, 01:32 AM
nonlinearedits
Registered Member

I called a local tuner shop that was recommended and got a $930 estimate for customer supplied spring and camber kit install w/ alignment.
Old 08-24-2017, 08:48 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Ouch!
Where do you live, maybe a member on the site that's done this before can lend a hand, worth a shot at least.
Old 08-24-2017, 08:54 AM
nonlinearedits
Registered Member

I'm Philly / KOP area. I may just end up paying this lol.