Brakes, Suspension, Wheels & Tires
Rollers and Rubbers (View All Posts)

Help Loud/increasing humming above 40 mph

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2017, 07:13 PM
el_donks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Loud/increasing humming above 40 mph

I've read several posts with similar issues and am having a hard time diagnosing between the wheel bearings or tires. 2007 G35x with all the bells&whistles.

First of all, this issue started roughly 1-2 weeks ago and has only become more obvious with time. As I begin to accelerate a hum/drone sound develops in the front end, at about 40 mph it becomes louder than the exhaust, then continues to raise in volume and pitch above that. Around 75mph the sound doesn't seem to get much louder, just varies in pitch. There is a bit of shaky body rumble when letting out of the throttle, to where almost no pressure is being applied. It decreases in volume and pitch when slowing down, whether in gear or not, either by coasting or braking.

We tested the bearings by jacking up each tire and checking for play. All seems tight there. They were also checked by alternating left and right turns, neither direction yielded any difference.

The tires were checked for bulges and all seems well there. The sound did not change over various road types: stone & oil, blacktop, concrete, etc.

Have I overlooked anything as for self-diagnosis? Is the vehicle safe to drive? Are there any other things that may cause the noise as explained above? Please help.
Old 08-20-2017, 07:49 PM
hurleyguys

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
can you rotate your tires and see if the sound comes from a area of your car? when was the last time you got an alignment?
Old 08-20-2017, 11:31 PM
el_donks

I plan on rotating them tomorrow to see if that changes anything. The car had an alignment about a month ago, the tires went on not long before that... I have considered that something may be out of spec and now wear issues are surfacing, the car seems to be driving fine though.
Old 08-21-2017, 02:04 AM
crookncastle
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 62 Posts
if your tires are not feathered then i would guess its the wheel bearing going bad as per your description of the noise and occurrence.
Old 08-23-2017, 11:10 AM
el_donks

Turned out to be the front right wheel bearing. This is case and point that sometimes not all symptoms occur with failing parts. Hopefully the car holds up until the install on Monday? It's only at the point of making noise, nothing as far as driveability.
Old 09-25-2017, 03:00 AM
G-MENTED
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by el_donks
Turned out to be the front right wheel bearing. This is case and point that sometimes not all symptoms occur with failing parts. Hopefully the car holds up until the install on Monday? It's only at the point of making noise, nothing as far as driveability.
how much is that going to run you?