Brakes, Suspension, Wheels & Tires
Rollers and Rubbers (View All Posts)

Help Bolt-on wheel spacers with OEM wheels.

Old 04-10-2017, 06:18 PM
main_shoby
Registered Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Bolt-on wheel spacers with OEM wheels.

hello, guys!

I have changed my wheels to Q50 premium wheels which are 4x 19x9 et 47.
I already have extended studs in front and have 15mm slip on spacers installed. Now the rear wheels look awkward, they need spacers. I don't want to install extended studs in rear hub because of time / technical difficulty. I have a bolt on spacer borrowed from my cousin which fit his GTR wheels just fine but won't fit my stock Q50 wheels. the protruding OEM studs which hold the spacer in place don't go into the Oem Q50 sports premium wheel's cavities. I had the same issue with 370z sports wheels using same spacers.
Do people use bolt on spacers with OEM wheels?
If anyone knows for the fact that some spacer will fit, please let me know. I need 10 or 15mm spacers :/
Old 04-10-2017, 06:44 PM
the93owner
Registered Member

Received 335 Likes on 261 Posts
Originally Posted by main_shoby
hello, guys!

I have changed my wheels to Q50 premium wheels which are 4x 19x9 et 47.
I already have extended studs in front and have 15mm slip on spacers installed. Now the rear wheels look awkward, they need spacers. I don't want to install extended studs in rear hub because of time / technical difficulty. I have a bolt on spacer borrowed from my cousin which fit his GTR wheels just fine but won't fit my stock Q50 wheels. the protruding OEM studs which hold the spacer in place don't go into the Oem Q50 sports premium wheel's cavities. I had the same issue with 370z sports wheels using same spacers.
Do people use bolt on spacers with OEM wheels?
If anyone knows for the fact that some spacer will fit, please let me know. I need 10 or 15mm spacers :/
The bolt-on spacers from the GTR should fit since we share the same hub size and PCD. Are you sure you're fitting them correctly? Tons of people have used both slip-on and bolt-on spacers with OEM wheels, myself included, without issues.
Old 04-10-2017, 08:14 PM
main_shoby
Registered Member

You see the cavities right beside stud holes? My understanding is that the remaining portion of OEM studs on which the bolt-on spacer is bolted should go to these cavities. this way the OEM bolts won't hinder the wheel installation. My problem is, they don't go into cavities. they hit the sides of the cavity walls and prevent wheel mounting.
Could this problem be the spacer specific? maybe it's the brand of spacer that I am using?
Some other brand bolt on spacers should not have this issue?
I will need 10 or 15mm spacer. if someone is using a small size bolt on spacers without issues, please let me know which brand.
Old 04-10-2017, 08:22 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
A +47 is a lot of offset for a 9" wheel so you can run a pretty thick spacer, this should reduce the amount of stud/nut coming into that recessed area. A 15mm spacer should work well as far as fit at the fender if you're running a 245/255 width tire. I wonder if there's a smaller nut size that will still fit the 12x1.25 thread size, it's probably the edge of the nut that's contacting that wheel pocket rather than the stud, it looks like the pocket is pretty deep in that area.
Old 04-10-2017, 09:48 PM
main_shoby
Registered Member

i am running 255 40s square tires. i am having difficulty explaining my problem here lol. problem is not the depth of the pocket, its the alignment of the studs to the pocket. oem studs hit the walls of the pocket instead of getting in the pocket.
Old 04-10-2017, 11:08 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

i am running 255 40s square tires. i am having difficulty explaining my problem here lol. problem is not the depth of the pocket, its the alignment of the studs to the pocket. oem studs hit the walls of the pocket instead of getting in the pocket.
Yeah, from the pics it looks like where the pocket steps down, the wall of the pocket contacts the stud. Looks like there is a little bit of room in that first recess before it steps down, so there may be a way you could run spacers but might have to shorten the OEM studs, not a great solution but could be possible
How thick are the GTR spacers? If they are 15mm and studs are just barely making contact then a 17mm spacer might get it done. I had Ichiba 17mms before so I know they make them.
Old 04-18-2017, 09:01 PM
main_shoby
Registered Member

I installed 10mm slip on spacer in the rear on stock studs. I can get 6.5 to 7 rounds of lug nuts. I think I will leave it there. I read on other forums that anything more than 5.5 rounds is considered safe? what do you guys think?
Old 04-18-2017, 09:42 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

I installed 10mm slip on spacer in the rear on stock studs. I can get 6.5 to 7 rounds of lug nuts. I think I will leave it there. I read on other forums that anything more than 5.5 rounds is considered safe? what do you guys think?
Yeah, 6 or more full turns when torqued to 80-85 ft lbs should be sufficient on the 12x1.25 threads.
Old 04-30-2017, 11:32 AM
Goonz
Premier Member

Received 60 Likes on 54 Posts
I'm having the same problem on my Q50, I have the exact wheel pocket on my Rays wheel and 15mm was a no go (H&R DRM style). I tired 20mm and it fit just fine however the wheels stuck out way too much (I too am running a 255/40 square setup). Ideally the 15mm was what I wanted but now I'm debating going 10mm or just leaving it the way it is. Not sure how much of a 10mm spacer will make, I really dont want to extend my studs to get a 15mm spacer to fit. My wheels is also 19x9 +47. Below was my 15mm spacer, rather than using the supplied nuts, I used Gorilla lugs for added safety, not sure if the thickness of the gorilla lug caused the issue? (damn now I should have checked before selling them).

Name:  IMG_7799.JPG_1.jpeg
Views: 652
Size:  195.8 KB

Name:  IMG_7797.JPG_1.jpeg
Views: 431
Size:  185.7 KB
Old 04-30-2017, 11:44 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Hmmm, too bad you didn't try a test fit w/ the supplied nuts, might have just squeezed in, they aren't great (the supplied nuts) as far as durability but are set up for a small footprint. They hold up ok if you're real careful about keeping the socket tightly seated and only use a 6pt socket on them.
Old 04-30-2017, 01:33 PM
Goonz
Premier Member

Originally Posted by blnewt
Hmmm, too bad you didn't try a test fit w/ the supplied nuts, might have just squeezed in, they aren't great (the supplied nuts) as far as durability but are set up for a small footprint. They hold up ok if you're real careful about keeping the socket tightly seated and only use a 6pt socket on them.
I doubt it would work though, the circumference of the stock studs are bigger of that when you install spacers so the difference in the height would def cause the stock studs to hit the pocket in the wheel. Not sure if that made sense or not. I guess if you look at the pic I posted above and sort of eye ball the difference between that of the stock studs and then the spacer stud, the difference would def cause the studs to hit the pocket as pictures in the above posts by main_shoby.
Old 04-30-2017, 01:38 PM
Goonz
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Goonz
I doubt it would work though, the circumference of the stock studs are bigger of that when you install spacers so the difference in the height would def cause the stock studs to hit the pocket in the wheel. Not sure if that made sense or not. I guess if you look at the pic I posted above and sort of eye ball the difference between that of the stock studs and then the spacer stud, the difference would def cause the studs to hit the pocket as pictures in the above posts by main_shoby.
Actually nevermind, what I said makes no sense, everything should line up fine as in a perfect circle. But I'm still confident that the 15mm wouldn't fit even with the supplied nuts. Ugh, still not sure though.

Search this Thread