MyG37

MyG37 (https://www.myg37.com/forums/)
-   Brakes, Suspension, Wheels & Tires (https://www.myg37.com/forums/brakes-suspension-wheels-and-tires-305/)
-   -   Got Brake questions, Ask Ken from KNSBrakes.com! (https://www.myg37.com/forums/brakes-suspension-wheels-and-tires/280803-got-brake-questions-ask-ken-from-knsbrakes-com.html)

blnewt 01-27-2017 05:24 PM

Got Brake questions, Ask Ken from KNSBrakes.com!

We've started a new thread here for anyone on the site to ask any brake related questions to Ken from KNSbrakes.com

Ken has been a valuable resource here (and countless other sites) so take advantage of his knowledge & help, plus he's a great vendor that only deals in the good stuff :biggthumpup:

So don't be shy, ask away!

KNS Brakes 01-30-2017 06:21 PM

Thank you for the kind words. I'll start with a few things regarding the G's that we have learned over the past years as well as some product info.

Mostly trouble shooting stuff. I'm going to sequester the first few replies to save space.

KNS Brakes 01-30-2017 06:21 PM

Mostly trouble shooting stuff. I'm going to sequester the first few replies to save space.

KNS Brakes 01-30-2017 06:22 PM

Brake Squeal

Brake Judder

Rotors - Why are some drilled?

KNS Brakes 01-30-2017 06:23 PM

What pads are best for me?

Razr Shrp 01-30-2017 06:24 PM

Brake Pads

Was getting oil changed at dealership today. Service adviser said I need rear pads and they would be $325. I said no thanks, I can do the pads myself. He then said with Infiniti cars you MUST turn the rotors too, you cant just change the pads. Is this a true statement?

Yes, I know, I can/will change brake pads but I absolutely refuse to change oil.

KNS Brakes 01-30-2017 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by Razr Shrp (Post 4106733)
Was getting oil changed at dealership today. Service adviser said I need rear pads and they would be $325. I said no thanks, I can do the pads myself. He then said with Infiniti cars you MUST turn the rotors too, you cant just change the pads. Is this a true statement?

Yes, I know, I can/will change brake pads but I absolutely refuse to change oil.

That is a bit steep for pads.

It takes about an hour per axle if you take your time and clean everything.

The condition of the rotors and the pad surface area are what matters. If you already have judder or other surface irregularities and issues - yes you should turn or replace.

I would expect to be able to install another set of the same or similar type pad and not create issues. Depending on what I see I may scuff up the rotors some but I almost never have any problems w/ new pads.

KNS Brakes 01-30-2017 06:37 PM

I ain't changing no oil either

motorbykemike 02-05-2017 06:19 PM

I've been dealing with kns for years with Subaru stuff

great guy , great customer service , great advice , great parts !

prichable 02-19-2017 11:50 PM

My front right rotor is starting to squeal every time it rotates, so I'm assuming it's time for new rotors and pads. My car has 122k miles on it and I'm pretty sure they've never been replaced or resurfaced or whatever. Anyways I'm looking at the KNS website and there is a pretty good deal for the stoptech slotted sport kit and i'm just wondering how good it is compared to stillen's 1-piece slotted rotors. And if the stoptech slotted sport kit is a 1 piece or 2 piece rotor. My G37s is my daily driver and I'm not planning on taking it to the track.

Goonz 03-01-2017 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by prichable (Post 4111711)
My front right rotor is starting to squeal every time it rotates, so I'm assuming it's time for new rotors and pads. My car has 122k miles on it and I'm pretty sure they've never been replaced or resurfaced or whatever. Anyways I'm looking at the KNS website and there is a pretty good deal for the stoptech slotted sport kit and i'm just wondering how good it is compared to stillen's 1-piece slotted rotors. And if the stoptech slotted sport kit is a 1 piece or 2 piece rotor. My G37s is my daily driver and I'm not planning on taking it to the track.

I've always used stoptech rotors with Hawk HPS pads on my car and its a great improvement over stock. Perhaps some stainless steel lines could also provide an added benefit.

prichable 03-13-2017 09:47 PM

awesome. Thanks for the input!

G10 03-16-2017 09:39 PM

Ken -
Can you help me out with my issue that I posted here

srgntpoliteness 04-26-2017 12:40 AM

Hello Ken. First let me say thanks for sharing your expertise. My question is an aesthetic one related to calipers. I recently put my new 18x8.5 VMR V701 wheels on my 2013 G37x and I want to spruce up the look behind the wheels now that you can see a lot more back there than with the stock wheels. I wasn't necessarily thinking BBK, but maybe some improved calipers with color. I would like to see if you have any recommendations. Thanks again.

KNS Brakes 04-26-2017 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by srgntpoliteness (Post 4128900)
Hello Ken. First let me say thanks for sharing your expertise. My question is an aesthetic one related to calipers. I recently put my new 18x8.5 VMR V701 wheels on my 2013 G37x and I want to spruce up the look behind the wheels now that you can see a lot more back there than with the stock wheels. I wasn't necessarily thinking BBK, but maybe some improved calipers with color. I would like to see if you have any recommendations. Thanks again.

Well I have never been a fan of painting the 2 piston setups on cars like that.

I'd go straight to the member classifieds and find some of those sport brakes.
They are fantastic street brakes and are worth the $$.

RxRyanM 04-29-2017 10:21 PM

Ken, I'd like your thoughts/opinions if you don't mind. I purchased some StopTech Street Performance pads (part #s 309.13470 & 309.13460) and blank-faced Centric premium rotors (#s 120.42101 & 120.42100) back in September. The fronts produce a large amount of brake dust that I'm not incredibly satisfied with.

Wondering if you might have a recommendation on a product that could still perform well, but without the dust? Like most others on here, I like to drive aggressively. I'm also the kind of person who waits until the last minute to brake, so a shorter amount of more pressure compared to a longer, steady stop.

KNS Brakes 04-30-2017 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by RxRyanM (Post 4129956)
Ken, I'd like your thoughts/opinions if you don't mind. I purchased some StopTech Street Performance pads (part #s 309.13470 & 309.13460) and blank-faced Centric premium rotors (#s 120.42101 & 120.42100) back in September. The fronts produce a large amount of brake dust that I'm not incredibly satisfied with.

Wondering if you might have a recommendation on a product that could still perform well, but without the dust? Like most others on here, I like to drive aggressively. I'm also the kind of person who waits until the last minute to brake, so a shorter amount of more pressure compared to a longer, steady stop.

I almost always suggest Hawk HPS 5.0 over the Stoptechs for street use. They don't have near as much dust or judder issues.

Ken

RxRyanM 04-30-2017 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by KNS Brakes (Post 4130039)
I almost always suggest Hawk HPS 5.0 over the Stoptechs for street use. They don't have near as much dust or judder issues.

Ken

Perfect. Thanks so much for your expertise!

m3clubracer 07-10-2017 02:34 PM

Hi Ken,
Brake pedal on my '10x is 50% better on the 2nd pump. Been like this for a while. More firm and less pressure needed to stop. I have bled all 4 2x and never had this problem before. Lines are good, so I can tell from the outside. Is there a special process, other than the order, such as run the engine while bleeding for ABS actuation/activation or pressurizing the master cylinder on these cars? TIA.

Vizard_87 08-01-2017 08:26 AM

What pads are good for aggressive/spirited street driving? Low brake dust would be preferable as well. I have akebonos

Draynilla 09-16-2017 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Vizard_87 (Post 4149425)
What pads are good for aggressive/spirited street driving? Low brake dust would be preferable as well. I have akebonos

Wondering this as well. I heard Hawks are great but just want to make sure. Also, any recommendations for some new aggressive looking rotors? Thanks!

blnewt 09-16-2017 10:53 PM

Too bad Ken is AWOL, Hawk HPS 5.0 get consistently solid reviews for great bite and not excessive dusting, and should be a nice upgrade from OEM pads on your Akebono brake set. Stoptech Slotted rotors are a good choice there. If you want something with more "bling" Adams rotors show well back there if you don't have the $$$ for 2 piece rotors.
adam's rotors | custom brake rotors, made-to-order

G10 08-22-2019 10:35 AM

2 year's of using Hawk 5.0 Pads and I've come back to search for any updates. I am glad to know that it seems like the 5.0 is still the king. I bought my 5.0's and have been REALLY happy.

Surfnazi 08-22-2019 10:47 AM

I still have set of red and yellow ebc along 2 sets of CD slotted ebc rotors that have the black finish to do something with