Rollers and Rubbers (View All Posts)

Can I remove my brakes' dust shields?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2016, 12:59 AM
ETrev
Premier Member

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Can I remove my brakes' dust shields?

It's that time of year again. The first snow has fallen, and with that came the first road graveling. For me, this means gravel getting stuck in my brake shields daily, multiple times a day.
The noise is absolutely unbearable. And often the rocks won't come loose until I take drastic and ridiculous measures...

Would it be advisable to completely remove these from my G?
I know that when installing Akebonos, these must be trimmed, but I'm wondering about full removal.
If not full removal, would partial trimming help?
X sedan with non-sport brakes
Old 12-08-2016, 08:25 AM
Vizard_87
Premier Member

Received 254 Likes on 200 Posts
Originally Posted by ETrev
It's that time of year again. The first snow has fallen, and with that came the first road graveling. For me, this means gravel getting stuck in my brake shields daily, multiple times a day.
The noise is absolutely unbearable. And often the rocks won't come loose until I take drastic and ridiculous measures...

I know that when installing Akebonos, these must be trimmed, but I'm wondering about full removal.
I upgraded my brakes to akebonos and the dust shield was trimmed and almost a year no problems. (hope this helps)
The following users liked this post:
ETrev (12-08-2016)
Old 12-08-2016, 01:21 PM
bPChaos
Registered Member

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
Don't have mine removed, but rally cars have dust shields with a bunch of holes punched in them so stuff doesn't get caught in there. Seems like that might work if you don't want to remove them altogether?

ETrev (12-08-2016)
Old 12-08-2016, 06:15 PM
Elco
Registered Member

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
Without dust shields, you are more likely to get the brake judder problem because that shields also have some brake airflow function that will make the rotor to heat more even.
If you check the brake judder TSB, they recommend to add larger brake shields in case the car get brake judder.
So removing them is NOT recommended.
However, you can try to bend them a little so the rocks won't get stuck between the shield and rotor.

PS. the brake setup on the post above look's sooo hardcore
The following 2 users liked this post by Elco:
ETrev (12-08-2016), Krzysztof47 (11-28-2022)
Old 12-08-2016, 06:34 PM
stealthee
Registered Member

Received 200 Likes on 155 Posts
FWIW I removed the dust shields on my Stealth with no drawbacks from doing so.
ETrev (12-08-2016)
Old 12-08-2016, 06:52 PM
ETrev
Premier Member

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Thanks guys. I think I'll try modifying them before I resort to complete removal.

How much trimming does the the Akebono installation call for? Is it the lower/bottom portion of the shields?
I'm hoping this method would be enough to keep debris out of them, while still retaining their intended functionality.
Old 12-08-2016, 07:08 PM
4doorfury

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts
I have removed shields on many cars without issues but I also don't live where it snows
Old 12-08-2016, 07:13 PM
hotdawwgman
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
yolo it. Just do it
Old 12-15-2016, 09:07 AM
Kris9884

Received 202 Likes on 186 Posts
I bent mine out of the way a bit but other than that, if they aren't bothering anything or thrashed, might as well keep them.
Old 01-12-2017, 02:43 PM
tank99
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
The shields on my Xterra completely fell off from rust a few years ago (literally turned to dust when I touched them). It was fine until I traded it in a couple months ago.
Old 01-12-2017, 04:37 PM
Elco
Registered Member

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by tank99
The shields on my Xterra completely fell off from rust a few years ago (literally turned to dust when I touched them). It was fine until I traded it in a couple months ago.
Yeah but that brakes never had the chance to get that hot as the G37 rotors get when you brake hard from 130 mph to 60 mph to avoid a speeding ticket
Old 01-20-2017, 07:18 PM
mhadford
Premier Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ETrev

That's weird. I live in Calgary; same snow and gravel conditions, same x sedan with non-sport brakes, same dust shields and I've never had this problem.

The dust shields are supposed to keep rocks out, not in; as well as water, fresh oil etc.. I am wondering if:

1. You have some other squeal issue that gets temporarily fixed by violence that coincidentally dislodges rocks

2. There is something weird about your dust shields - like bent in such a way that they catch rocks? or tapered in to squeeze and trap gravel?

Have you tried taking off the rotors to see what the heck is going on?
Old 01-24-2017, 05:52 PM
EuroRSN

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts
Im having the exact same issue as the OP. Sounds like a frying pan dragging on the ground with all the salt on the road. Dont actually understand why its happening so suddenly but ill take a look over the weekend.