MyG37

MyG37 (https://www.myg37.com/forums/)
-   Brakes, Suspension, Wheels & Tires (https://www.myg37.com/forums/brakes-suspension-wheels-and-tires-305/)
-   -   Using bolt on and extended stud spacers (https://www.myg37.com/forums/brakes-suspension-wheels-and-tires/278836-using-bolt-on-and-extended-stud-spacers.html)

mingc08 10-03-2016 06:23 PM

Using bolt on and extended stud spacers

I came across a pair of 15mm spacers from a friend. However one pair is bolt ons with studs attached to spacer and one pair with extended stud separate from spacer.
Would it be okay to use one in front and one in rear . Or should they be the same type of spacers all around. I dont track the car or anything. Just to get more flush. Would it be a big deal using bolt on in front and extended stud in rear?

blnewt 10-03-2016 06:56 PM

Not a problem, just be sure they are in good shape. The bolt on spacers usually come w/ nuts that are easy to round off so be sure they are still 6-sided. When you install be sure to use 6 pt sockets on those bolt-on nuts, 12 pt sockets will make it even easier to round off. Torque the bolt-on set to 80 ft. lbs and re-check torque after 50 miles & every oil change.

the93owner 10-03-2016 07:25 PM

Only thing I can think of is that the length of the studs may be different?

mingc08 10-03-2016 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by blnewt (Post 4078667)
Not a problem, just be sure they are in good shape. The bolt on spacers usually come w/ nuts that are easy to round off so be sure they are still 6-sided. When you install be sure to use 6 pt sockets on those bolt-on nuts, 12 pt sockets will make it even easier to round off. Torque the bolt-on set to 80 ft. lbs and re-check torque after 50 miles & every oil change.

Which one would be better to use in rear since its rwd?

blnewt 10-03-2016 10:55 PM

The front studs should be easier to change out, so that would get my vote.

main_shoby 10-08-2016 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by blnewt (Post 4078725)
The front studs should be easier to change out, so that would get my vote.

adding another question, related to the topic. I also got 15mm spacers which I wanted to install but couldn't because oem studs are too long and they hinder wheel installation. is it okay to cut the oem studs to right side or should I get smaller studs :/

mingc08 10-09-2016 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by main_shoby (Post 4079894)
adding another question, related to the topic. I also got 15mm spacers which I wanted to install but couldn't because oem studs are too long and they hinder wheel installation. is it okay to cut the oem studs to right side or should I get smaller studs :/

Ran into the same problem install the spacer in front fit perfectly. Got to the rears, realized the recess on my rear wheel was alot less then the front wheel causing me to delay on installing them. Think about cut the stud a bit shorter to get them to fit wasnt sure if it was a good idea

main_shoby 10-18-2016 11:25 AM

searching to solve this issue, I came across these 15mm Z1 spacers which comes with +20mm extended studs.

Z1 spacer link

If i install these, there will be a difference of 5mm in the end. Will I be able to use my stock lug nuts on stock+5mm stud? Or will I have to purchase taller / open lug nuts?

more solutions?