Brakes, Suspension, Wheels & Tires
Rollers and Rubbers (View All Posts)

Help Car drives funny after hitting a curve.

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 09:45 PM
sneakers
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car drives funny after hitting a curve.

Hi everyone

I need some advise/direction from the experts out there.

I hit the corner of a curve with my right rear tire and now the car drives funny. I was traveling fast enough that when I hit the curve, I felt the car jump and heard a skid. I got out of the car, inspected the car best I can and everything appears to be ok other than a 2" scuffed mark on the wheel. I immediately notice the steering wheel feels weird, like a disconnected feeling or maybe some nut connecting the steering wheel to wheels got knock loose.

I brought the car in to have dealer change oil and inspect/fix the problem. Mechanic said, other than the after market sway bar and brakes, the car drives fine. I respected a ride along and both mechanic said there is nothing wrong with the steering wheel. I explained to them the cars drive like it was on snow and the direction of the car doesn't equal to the amount of turn on the steering wheel. Before this, when I go over pot holes, the wheel doesn't move much versus now, I can feel the wheels move but the steering wheel remains relatively straight...almost like the wheels are loose. You can really feel this when driving on a highway with a bend or off ramp with a turn. I find my self having to make fine adjustment versus before it would just hold the direction of the steering wheel. However, when driving straight, the is car fine so doubt I need an alignment. After test drive, both mechanic said there is nothing wrong

The car feels like an abused rental car and I don't feel confident driving the car. I am planning to take car to a auto repair shop. Can someone please advise me what to ask/tell the mechanic, what to check or look for. Thanks everyone.
Old 11-08-2013, 11:06 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Even if your car is tracking straight the alignment could still have been knocked out by slamming that curb, I think I'd get it checked first, it might be just fine but if not you're only out about $100. Always a good idea to get it checked after an unusually abrupt impact and your car is now feeling different.
Good luck & hopefully that's all it is.
The following users liked this post:
sneakers (11-09-2013)
Old 11-09-2013, 12:41 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
You broke or bent something in your suspension. Guaranteed. Check sway bar links. Then all other suspension and alignment components one by one.
The following users liked this post:
sneakers (11-09-2013)
Old 11-09-2013, 01:57 AM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 589 Likes on 492 Posts
Best advice for curves is to enter slow and exit fast. Curbs on the other hand are best be avoided.

Get an alignment.
The following 2 users liked this post by JSolo:
rza2042 (11-21-2013), sneakers (11-09-2013)
Old 11-09-2013, 10:35 AM
sneakers
Registered Member

Originally Posted by blnewt
Even if your car is tracking straight the alignment could still have been knocked out by slamming that curb, I think I'd get it checked first, it might be just fine but if not you're only out about $100. Always a good idea to get it checked after an unusually abrupt impact and your car is now feeling different.
Good luck & hopefully that's all it is.
Thanks Brad, now I have an excuse to signup for Firestone live time alignment.

Originally Posted by Black Betty
You broke or bent something in your suspension. Guaranteed. Check sway bar links. Then all other suspension and alignment components one by one.
Thanks BB. Only the right rear tire hit the curb. Will have mechanic inspect the suspension.

Dealership mechanic said sway bar links are fine but will have another mechanic check again.

Originally Posted by Jsolo
Best advice for curves is to enter slow and exit fast. Curbs on the other hand are best be avoided.

Get an alignment.
good one... I get you, don't hit curbs, you hit curves
Old 11-09-2013, 11:59 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Keep in mind that broken is easy to detect. Bent is much more difficult. A part that bent only 1/8" can cause things like you are describing.
Old 11-09-2013, 04:53 PM
sneakers
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Black Betty
Keep in mind that broken is easy to detect. Bent is much more difficult. A part that bent only 1/8" can cause things like you are describing.
Appreciate the feed back. This sounds like it could get expensive..replacing parts until problems goes away

Trending Topics

Old 11-09-2013, 05:10 PM
sneakers
Registered Member

Update:

I just came back from Firestone auto center and was ready to lay down some cash to have this fix. They inspected the car and checked alignment. They couldn't find anything wrong with the sway bars, springs, suspension..etc. The alignment was in spec. except for the front right wheel. The guy said the toe was little off but not bad. If I want the toe to be in spec too, they would be happy to since my car was on the lift already. I decline and thank them. They didn't let me keep the print out, since it was a complimentary check.

That's two separate shop saying the same thing and I know its not in my head.

You think a performance shop would have the necessary skill to detect the problem I've described?
Old 11-09-2013, 07:13 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Perhaps finding a shop that specializes specifically in suspension/frame/alignment and has a lot of years of experience to check it out and drive it. Perhaps they may have dealt with a similar situation. A 22 year old kid in a chain automotive shop isn't the guy you want doing this.

Best of luck.
Old 11-10-2013, 12:58 AM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 589 Likes on 492 Posts
I wonder if you *bruised* your tire. This wouldn't show up on an alignment, but may on a balance check.

Describe what you mean by drive on snow. My idea of driving on snow is a slippery type condition, uncertainty, etc.
Old 11-10-2013, 02:15 AM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 242 Likes on 192 Posts
Out of curiosity, how can one detect bent suspension parts or steering rods?
Old 11-10-2013, 04:40 AM
Q8y_drifter

Received 39 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by g37sam
out of curiosity, how can one detect bent suspension parts or steering rods?
^^^ whs.
Old 11-10-2013, 10:17 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Short of having another G right next to it for comparison it would be hard to ID the culprit.
Might want to jack up the back and use jackstands so you can safely examine all the parts closely and compare them to the drivers side parts. Hopefully something might stand out or might see a nick or fresh sign of an impact on one of the parts. Alignment is a pretty fine adjustment so it wouldn't take much to be off.
Good luck, interested to hear how this turns out.
Old 11-10-2013, 09:59 PM
sneakers
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Jsolo
I wonder if you *bruised* your tire. This wouldn't show up on an alignment, but may on a balance check.

Describe what you mean by drive on snow. My idea of driving on snow is a slippery type condition, uncertainty, etc.
Yeap you got it... anxiety, uncertainty, lack of precise control, thats the way how I feel when I drive my car now.

I also notice the problem is more pronounce on uneven road. When coasting to a stop, the front wheel feels like its following the slightest contour of the road but when accelerating I literally feel the front wheel straighten out and steering wheel tighten up. In NYC, we have lots and lots of uneven road. If I am not careful, the road will cause the wheel to turn unexpectedly.

Last edited by sneakers; 11-10-2013 at 10:05 PM.
Old 11-10-2013, 11:58 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

What you're describing almost sounds like a slightly bent frame in a chassis on frame constructed vehicle. I hope the unibody isn't damaged. I would think it would take a lot to bend it.

Quick Reply: Help Car drives funny after hitting a curve.