Brakes, Suspension, Wheels & Tires
Rollers and Rubbers (View All Posts)

Brake Pad replacement - Need NoVa service shop recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 12:57 PM
silverslepa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake Pad replacement - Need NoVa service shop recommendations

First Post....so I hope I am in the write spot.

Picked up a 2009 G37xS sedan last year, and time has come to replace the brake pads in the front (about 47k miles). Any recommendations on a shop in NoVa area that where I can go to have this done? I am central to the Alexandria, VA area. I was thinking of purchasing the OEM pads and then just having some else beside the stealership do the install (they wanted $600 for the pads and rotor resurfacing). Any recommendation on where to get the pads and a shop to go to would be great.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:43 AM
ashmostro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm close to you in south Arlington. I do all my work myself but I did get an oil change done by Midas in Alexandria when I first moved out here in May. The one on duke street. Nice guys, and I trust them enough to do simple jobs.

That said, are you just looking to replace with OEM pads? If so, and if your rotors are not glazed you may not need a resurface. Happy to help if you want to chat about it.
The following users liked this post:
silverslepa (08-05-2013)
Old 09-13-2012, 05:17 PM
silverslepa

Originally Posted by ashmostro
I'm close to you in south Arlington. I do all my work myself but I did get an oil change done by Midas in Alexandria when I first moved out here in May. The one on duke street. Nice guys, and I trust them enough to do simple jobs.

That said, are you just looking to replace with OEM pads? If so, and if your rotors are not glazed you may not need a resurface. Happy to help if you want to chat about it.
Thanks Ashmostro: Honestly I think the OEM ones are the best given that I don't really plan on tracking my G37 and I only need to replace the front rotors (don't want to throw off the breaking balance by installing a different brand). Do you think Midas would be ok for that? Any idea of a good estimate of cost?

I would love to replace my pads without the resurfacing (save some $$), but I was always told that it was a good idea to get rotors resurfaced when installing new pads to prevent uneven wear. How can I tell if they are glazed? The dealership supposedly resurfaced them when I purchased the car last fall, but I am no savvy enough to know.

I wish I could attempt to do this myself as I am usually a DIY kind of guy, but I no longer have a garage or real parking spot to even attempt the fix.

Thanks
Old 09-13-2012, 11:32 PM
ashmostro

If you feel a juddering through your steering and/or brake pedal when you apply the brakes then your rotors may be glazed. If you are not changing pad compounds and your rotors are within the thickness tolerances you don't need to resurface the rotors. Frankly, the so-called "resurfacing" shops do is really removing rotor material which will exacerbate thermal issues. Proper resurfacing should only remove the pad transfer layer and not any rotor material. But you don't need to remove the pad transfer layer if it is
a) not glazed, and b) you are sticking with the same pad.

No idea what Midas may charge you but they seem to have fair prices. I say buy the parts yourself online (search for OEM nissan parts and you will find a lot of affordable options. If you haven't done a bleed in a while I recommend having the brakes bled while they are in there.

Best of luck.
The following users liked this post:
silverslepa (08-05-2013)
Old 10-22-2012, 05:59 PM
KNS Brakes
Former Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If you have yet to buy your pads, shoot me a PM since we are new the site we are offering great discounts for your G37.

-Nick
Old 08-05-2013, 05:32 PM
silverslepa

Update:

Pretty much followed your advice to a T, and everything was great for about 6 months. Saved some dough and felt good. But now I am having a creaking noise coming from my front brake under light to medium braking. Posted a thread and video to brakes; https://www.myg37.com/forums/brakes-...ml#post3662544

Any thoughts? They can't figure out why it's happening and are not even sure if a rotor replacement would help.
Old 08-05-2013, 09:37 PM
ashmostro

listened to the video but didn't hear any creaking of note... maybe I should try with headphones.

Were the rotors resurfaced or new? if not new or resurfaced, what pads did you have running on them before these?
Old 08-06-2013, 10:10 AM
silverslepa

listened to the video but didn't hear any creaking of note... maybe I should try with headphones.

Were the rotors resurfaced or new? if not new or resurfaced, what pads did you have running on them before these?
Yea, I was doing my best with my phone. You kind of need to crank up the volume when listening. Any input would be great.

Everything on is and has been OEM. The rotors were resurfaced about 3-4 months before I got new pads on (dealership did it for free given all the known issue with these rotors, although my VIN was not in range for a TSB). I didn't have the rotors resurfaced at the time of the pad replacement because I was replacing them with the same pads. Not sure if that was wrong on my part.

Here is another vid if that helps. You can really hear it in the last 10-15 seconds.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:27 AM
ashmostro

Still can't hear it- sorry. To be honest, squeal that loud would never bother me- you should hear my XT910 pads in DD!

You could try rebedding them and see if it goes away, or try softer (perhaps ceramic) pads.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:30 AM
ashmostro

Wait, are you referring to the clunking sound? If so, that sounds like something is loose or otherwise not secure. If that's coming from the brakes you should take it in and have a good shop look for loose fittings/caliper bolts/pad retention pins, etc.

OTOH if the clunking sound is coming from the camera person then ignore.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:36 AM
silverslepa

Man, so weird you can't hear it. In the second video, its really pronounced with the car almost comes to a stop. That clunking, metallic sound is not just the car settling - its only when I brake. The noise is super loud, but its loud enough for passengers and other driver to ask me what's wrong with my brakes. Not to mention, I just got new pads installed to make the brakes perform better...ha.

How can you rebed the brakes? I thought that was kind of a one time deal?

Thanks for your help
Old 08-06-2013, 11:54 AM
ashmostro

I listened again with headphones and it really does sound like a clunking- as though something is loose or a foreign object has become lodged where it doesn't belong. Forget rebedding and just take it in to get inspected as it could be a safety issue. Not saying it is, but better safe than sorry.

And side note - did you get a flat recently? If so, was it a violent blowout?
Old 08-06-2013, 02:59 PM
silverslepa

I listened again with headphones and it really does sound like a clunking- as though something is loose or a foreign object has become lodged where it doesn't belong. Forget rebedding and just take it in to get inspected as it could be a safety issue. Not saying it is, but better safe than sorry.

And side note - did you get a flat recently? If so, was it a violent blowout?
Thanks for the input. I am going to run back up to the shop this afternoon and have them listen to the vid/ take a look. It's just so weird that the shop can't figure out what it is. It's getting to the point where I'm actually thinking about taking it to the stealership (gasp)

I did have a flat and it was a slow leak out due to a screw in the tread. Came out one morning and the sucker was flat.

Any idea or experience on what that could be in there?
Old 08-06-2013, 03:10 PM
ashmostro

Could be so many things I hesitate to venture a guess. What I will say is, make sure the shop takes the rotors and calipers off to see if there's anything interfering with/in the hub assembly. The other day, I had a noise that was very odd and had me worried but it turned out to be a dry leaf that had found its way in between my rotor hat and hub and was spinning around in there!

Hopefully your issue is equally minor. Please do report back so I know what the mystery was good luck
Old 08-07-2013, 10:22 AM
silverslepa

Could be so many things I hesitate to venture a guess. What I will say is, make sure the shop takes the rotors and calipers off to see if there's anything interfering with/in the hub assembly. The other day, I had a noise that was very odd and had me worried but it turned out to be a dry leaf that had found its way in between my rotor hat and hub and was spinning around in there!

Hopefully your issue is equally minor. Please do report back so I know what the mystery was good luck
Here's an Update:

So went over to the Midas yesterday, and 1) confirmed that last time I was in there (about a month ago) they took apart everything, inspected, and reassembled; and 2) I was able to replicate the noise infront of the manager and tech. After hearing it several times, their best guess was that something was loose and damaged with the installation hardware (e.g. the clips that hold the pad in place). Their recommendation was for me to order another "hardware kit" and have them replace everything. They were really cool about it but it was clear they we're entirely sure what is was. They could've also ordered the part, but I got the impression it was going to cost me more.

I haven't had a chance to research or order anything yet, but does that sound right? Would there have been installation hardware included when I purchased the pads from the dealership? Sounds like its a cheap kit to buy, so I am guessing its worth a try.

Quick Reply: Brake Pad replacement - Need NoVa service shop recommendations