Brakes, Suspension, Wheels & Tires
Rollers and Rubbers (View All Posts)

Metal on metal sound

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 09:55 AM
BlueStarBS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Metal on metal sound

Had my OEM 19" wheels/tires stolen off my 2011 G37s coupe. I upgraded to IPL 19" and got the 245/275 Hankooks as replacements. Im hearing some metal on metal grinding coming from wheel area (think its front drivers side), not sure what the cause is and not happening all the time. Since the installation, I can hear a verrrry faint metal on metal sound but can only really hear it when passing other cars or a wall/buildings where the sound can bounce off. For the first two days (today is 4th day), there would be occasional loud metal on metal contact but seems that has gone away on its own. When the tow chain was pulling my car, the temp front wheels were rotating and the temp rears were "locked up" and skidding along. I expressed this concern to tow guy, shop guy and my insurance, all saying insurance would cover if any damage was incurred. The sound I think is coming from the front even though the lock up was with the rears. Also, when my wheels were stolen, they put my car on jack (passenger side) and cinder block (driver side). The cars balance was off and my rear driver side rotor was resting on ground, shop guy said no damage was done. I "trust" the shop guy, known to be a straight shooter (shop/family been there since 74) and have known other people have used him (my first experience with him). Any thoughts on what could be causing the metal on metal contact noise? Thank you!

Last edited by BlueStarBS; 08-16-2012 at 10:01 AM.
Old 08-19-2012, 11:35 PM
Track Bandit

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Are you saying that he was towing your car with the rear wheels (temp) dragging on the ground for a long distance or just onto the flatbed tow truck? If it's the latter no big deal, but if it's the former, you might have trouble with some damage to the rear end and even transmission. Also why wasn't the rear wheels freed up by putting the tranny in neutral and the parking brake off? Please advise.

Al
Old 08-19-2012, 11:50 PM
Weiboy718

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BlueStarBS
Had my OEM 19" wheels/tires stolen off my 2011 G37s coupe. I upgraded to IPL 19" and got the 245/275 Hankooks as replacements. Im hearing some metal on metal grinding coming from wheel area (think its front drivers side), not sure what the cause is and not happening all the time. Since the installation, I can hear a verrrry faint metal on metal sound but can only really hear it when passing other cars or a wall/buildings where the sound can bounce off. For the first two days (today is 4th day), there would be occasional loud metal on metal contact but seems that has gone away on its own. When the tow chain was pulling my car, the temp front wheels were rotating and the temp rears were "locked up" and skidding along. I expressed this concern to tow guy, shop guy and my insurance, all saying insurance would cover if any damage was incurred. The sound I think is coming from the front even though the lock up was with the rears. Also, when my wheels were stolen, they put my car on jack (passenger side) and cinder block (driver side). The cars balance was off and my rear driver side rotor was resting on ground, shop guy said no damage was done. I "trust" the shop guy, known to be a straight shooter (shop/family been there since 74) and have known other people have used him (my first experience with him). Any thoughts on what could be causing the metal on metal contact noise? Thank you!
Good chance is when the car was resting on the ground it might've bent the brake dust plate against the calipers. You might wanna check that out
Old 08-20-2012, 12:06 AM
Track Bandit

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
That's a good starting point and it should be easy to spot and fix. I forgot about the car resting on the ground on some corners. Man I hate when people steal **** from cars. I would always love to have the chance at catching people doing that and I had my gun with me.

Al
Old 08-20-2012, 09:40 AM
BlueStarBS

Thanks

Track Bandit - Just onto the flatbed. No damage (according to shop guy) was done due to the "locked up" rear wheels. Even though the sound is coming from the drivers side, I think its coming front the front wheel although it was the rear wheel which was resting on ground and it was the rear wheels which were locked up from the temp wheels. Problem I have now is that the shop guy who I had car with is apparently verrrry good at fixing things, but not very good at diagnosing the problem. I think I might bring it to Infiniti at this point (even though I have big issues with them), just need to make sure its either going to be covered under warranty, or insurance will pick up the tab due to it maybe being supplemental damage from the theft. Sound definitely wasn't there before.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:52 AM
Tazicon

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
I took my Jeep to get tires, when I was driving back it was making the same sound. Some how they bent the brake dust shield. It was tough to figure out which wheel while I was driving it. I had to put it on jack stands and rotate the tires one by one to find which one it was for sure. A quick little pry with a small pry bar and I was on my way. I checked everything out to make sure it wasn't dropped, still not sure how they did it. I would have to guess thats what happened to you.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:41 PM
BlueStarBS

Tazicon - Great info thanks! I'm not enough of a car guy to know where the brake dust shield is in reference to the noise being made but sounds very similar to my problem. Noise started after new wheels/tires got put on. Nothing I do helps; not breaking, turning nor going over bumps in the road. The only thing that changes its level/loudness or frequency is speed. Ill have the shop guy look into that so he has a starting point other than me just saying "wheel area".
Old 08-20-2012, 12:47 PM
Tazicon

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Let us know what it turns out to be, I am curious.
Old 08-22-2012, 02:46 PM
Choman
Registered Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
I used to have this issue on my previous car before. I took my car to the dealership about 4 to 5 times to get it resolved. The technican drove my car in circles to hear the noise. If I remember how he fixed it, I believe he pushed back/straightened out the plate just like Tazicon mentioned.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:19 AM
unknowndesi
Registered Member

Received 42 Likes on 15 Posts
push your backing plate behind the rotor back like Tazicon said. I had a small clicking noise and it was from the backing plate rubbing on the rotors
Old 08-28-2012, 02:04 PM
BlueStarBS

It was the backing plate as suspected, thanks for your help guys. Safe driving.