Brakes & Suspension Reviews on brakes & suspension for G vehicles.

Review Tein Street Basis Z for Sport coupe

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2019, 11:45 AM
goldbug
Premier Member

Received 152 Likes on 101 Posts
Tein Street Basis Z for Sport coupe

Updated with pictures of how my car currently sits.

I finally got my Tein Street Basis Z coilovers installed on my coupe about a month ago now, with the help of a friend. The install was very straightforward and really wasn't too difficult once we had an impact wrench. I'll try to list out all of the tools we used below to help anyone else looking to install these, but will probably miss something so let me know if you have any q's at all about the install or the coils/ how they ride. I ordered them from ImportPartsPro (part # GSP92-8UAS2), along with some SPC Xaxis rear camber arms (Part #72262) that we installed at the same time; the pricing was fantastic and they did a great job with shipping it out ASAP w/ 2 day shipping. Great customer service even when I was a PIA and thought about returning them for the Street Advance Z, which I'm glad I didn't do at least for now bc of the roads here.

Install- I followed Tein's instructions and a couple DIY's here on the forum for the install. Started in the rears with a floor jack on the pumpkin, then used 2 jack stands also for safety and got everything loose with just a breaker bar, and it ended up taking maybe 3 hours for both sides with no power tools. We used your basic metric open ended and deep sockets, a ratchet, a torque wrench and a rubber mallet. Tein included some pretty good instructions for what they were, with plenty of reference information regarding proper heights, torque specs, and adjustments. The top nuts on the dampers were probably the most difficult to tighten properly, until I ordered a part for $25 from a Mustang website (Steeda, I'll attach a link below). That tool allows you to hold the damper rod with a vise grip (in the notches at the top of the threads) while you tighten the top nut down with a torque wrench. It made things much much easier for the new Tein dampers after we swapped out the OEM top hats. I also went ahead and eyeballed the settings of the factory camber arms and then matched them as close as I could to my new SPC arms. Once I got it buttoned up, we dropped the car and took in the amazing reverse raked look

On to the fronts and the finishing touches, the install was again very straightforward and simple, and this time we had an impact wrench so it took half the time. Jack stands are a must for safety for the fronts, please don't try this using the emergency stand that is in the trunk, all though we did use that as a backup jack in addition to my floor jack with the stands. One of the biggest takeaways I learned during the install was that you absolutely do NOT need a spring compressor for the OEM springs when you go to remove the top hats. I had read one or two mentions on the forum about not needing a spring compressor for the OEM top hat removal, so I decided to give it a shot without using the strut/spring compressor that I'd rented for free from autozone. It barely jumped an inch- perfectly safe. Keep in mind I was on the OEM Sport suspension though - if you are coming from aftermarket springs that won't be true or safe to attempt. We finished installing the new front Tein coils, dropped it and took it for quick spin. The difference was immediately noticeable for me- such improved steering response and it goes exactly where you point it now with no understeer. It really should have come like this from the factory. It did settle out a good bit over the next hour of driving and sitting, and it was so insanely out of spec it was very squirrely to drive. I let it settle a slight bit more over the next day, made some final height adjustments, corner balanced it, and then had an alignment done w/ one of the nicer Hunter alignment machines in town and got everything right at 2.1 in the front and 2.3 in the rear. I set it almost to the max of Tein's low recommendations, and will try to measure floor to fender again tonight if anyone is interested in those measurements. I'll try to find the alignment spec sheet also when I get home and upload that too, but the alignment fixed all of my issues and I even had no problem w/toe at all which is what I was mainly concerned about.

I was heavily considering the Street Advance Z model vs the Street Basis Z, but am really happy with the Basis Z especially at the insane price people have been getting them for. I do want to say that I think the Basis Z is made in Tein's China factory now- I had read otherwise on the forum but found a news post from Tein somewhere (I'll try to find it) that said their springs and basis Z models would be made there, not in the Japanese plant. Don't quote me though lol, the accuracy of that could be quite off. I still stuck with Tein regardless bc I used their springs in the past on my G35 coupe and have only heard great things about the quality of their products and their quality control. For rough roads, I definitely think it holds up over all the bumps, cracks and potholes. It definitely feels a little bit more firm than the OEM sport suspension and you will feel every crack a little more, but it seems like Tein did a pretty good job matching the dampening to the springs on these for not having the ability to adjust it. I think that had I gotten the Advance Z, I'd have to set the dampers to almost the softest settings and it would still be too rough/firm or bouncy for the crap roads here in Wilmington NC. The rears do seem to get bouncy on bumpy roads, but no worse than stock or in any other lowered car. Very happy with my decision and until I can afford to risk breaking my car at the track, these are fantastic coilovers for the street and spirited driving. I can't wait to see how they do once I get some Hotckis sways in a couple months also. I have some Z1 extended studs and 20mm hubcentric spacers that I've been meaning to install also to fix the even worse fender gap after the drop now, so I'll post more pictures once I get those installed also, I just haven't had much time lately. Cheers.

The box was in decent shape but not packaged too well by Tein as others have also said. Everything arrived in good shape though.

After the install without making any height adjustments yet.

Post install pictures, sorry they're awful. Better ones are below.

Current height. 26.25" ftg front, 26" ftg rear.

Current height. 26.25" ftg front, 26" ftg rear.

Last edited by goldbug; 07-17-2019 at 08:39 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by goldbug:
ILM-NC G37S (06-28-2019), jpowersjr2 (07-05-2019), nluci (03-12-2021), slartibartfast (06-28-2019)
Old 06-29-2019, 12:06 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,250 Likes on 1,012 Posts
Nice write up. Please update this after the springs have had a chance to settle down and after you have some miles on them and our shi**y roads.
Old 06-29-2019, 03:06 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
I hope you don't mind me adding color to your safety warning. As a young man, I almost had my head crushed when I was under a car that rolled off the O.E. jack.

Last edited by slartibartfast; 07-06-2019 at 02:56 PM.
Old 07-06-2019, 01:58 PM
goldbug
Premier Member

Originally Posted by ILM-NC G37S
Nice write up. Please update this after the springs have had a chance to settle down and after you have some miles on them and our shi**y roads.
Thanks, and definitely will. Glad to have another G owner in town who knows the pain of our crap roads. I've seen a few eastern NC G members on the forum, are there any local G meetups? I used to go the old C&C meets at K-mart with a few Z and G guys when I had my G35 coupe but haven't been since they moved to the new spot. Feel free to pm me.

Last edited by goldbug; 07-06-2019 at 02:31 PM.
Old 07-06-2019, 02:08 PM
goldbug
Premier Member

Originally Posted by slartibartfast
I hope you don't mind me adding color to your safety warning. As a young man, I almost had my head crushed when I was under a car that rolled off the O.E. jack.
I saw it and was happy someone did that. I definitely don't mind at all, I've seen some dumb a** stuff before and firmly believe in doing it safe & right the first time with the proper tools. Even in my case, I honestly can't afford to have all of the right tools laying around in my garage right now (definitely will at some point), but still choose to wait till I've borrowed or rented every tool needed with no shortcuts taken before I attempt an install. If you can't do it safely, don't do it. So thank you for doing that

Last edited by slartibartfast; 07-06-2019 at 02:56 PM.
The following users liked this post:
slartibartfast (07-18-2019)
Old 07-06-2019, 04:48 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

I am about 20min. from downtown and the roads are worse once you cross the river- that damn bridge is hell enough.

AFAIK, there are no local meets/clubs/etc. Admittedly, I avoid ILM like the plague so I can not say for certain. Except for my bi-annual trip to Nissan, I have no reason to deal with that damn town.

Right now I am leaning toward a Koni/Swift setup- if I decide to upgrade (hard to justify the high expense on a car that sees less than 3-5K miles/yr., but... I definitely want to hear about your setup after you have some miles on them.

Likewise, feel free to PM...
Alex

Last edited by ILM-NC G37S; 07-08-2019 at 01:58 PM.
Old 07-10-2019, 04:10 PM
goldbug
Premier Member

I am about 20min. from downtown and the roads are worse once you cross the river- that damn bridge is hell enough.

AFAIK, there are no local meets/clubs/etc. Admittedly, I avoid ILM like the plague so I can not say for certain. Except for my bi-annual trip to Nissan, I have no reason to deal with that damn town.

Right now I am leaning toward a Koni/Swift setup- if I decide to upgrade (hard to justify the high expense on a car that sees less than 3-5K miles/yr., but... I definitely want to hear about your setup after you have some miles on them.

Likewise, feel free to PM...
Alex
It's Wilmy so that doesn't surprise me too much that we don't have any local meets. Totally understand avoiding this town, lol.

I've had that setup for around a month now and feel like I've gotten some good seat time with it. It is a little bouncey in the rear over bumpy/wavy newer roads in town, but no more than stock and is still a big improvement regardless considering the price and having the ability to adjust the height. The turn in is where it's made the biggest difference. There's hardly any understeer now I feel like, and it's all around more nimble with much less body roll. You'll feel much more confident driving through corners. If i had a bigger budget at the time, I would have paid up for some nicer fully adjustable coils but didn't want to get beat to death in my DD, so I played it safe for my first set of coils for the G. I was really considering the exact setup you're mentioning also but it was just a little too pricey for me with the SPC xAxis rear camber arms I have now. I've only heard good about that setup, and it seems like it gives a good even drop. I've heard the rears bouncing can be fixed slightly by raising the height a little which I might try, but I have the height set to where I'd like to keep it. I'm also curious to see what difference the Hotchkis sways will make when I get around to ordering those in the next month or two.
ILM-NC G37S (07-10-2019)
Old 07-17-2019, 08:32 PM
goldbug
Premier Member

I measured it earlier this afternoon in my garage, and it's currently at 26.25" ftg in the front and 26" ftg in the rear, even on both sides. I'll probably raise the rears an 1/8" to a 1/4" when I install my Z1 20mm extended studs and spacers (along with some Z1 slotted rotors and SS brake lines) to avoid having any rubbing issues in the rear, but I'm really happy with the stance right now. I don't scrape too much, and it's pretty much just the plastic scrape guard under the lip and engine under tray. No damage to the lip so far! (knock on wood). The exhaust barely scrapes on occasion, but the good old angle over speed bumps and humps is the key. I'm still really happy with this setup for the street after about 2 months now. Here's some pictures I took today of the current drop.

ILM-NC G37S (07-18-2019)
Old 07-18-2019, 11:46 AM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Nice looking Coupe, my friend. Thx for the update. Still debating what direction I want to take... if any with regard to suspension.

Decisions, decisions...
Old 07-24-2019, 09:51 AM
goldbug
Premier Member

Nice looking Coupe, my friend. Thx for the update. Still debating what direction I want to take... if any with regard to suspension.

Decisions, decisions...

No problem, let me know if you have any q's about it or the install. If you're ever in town and want to see how the Street Basis Z rides in person, I'd be more than happy to meet up to help you out with your decision. Hard to find fellow G's not on just springs here in town, let alone G37's at all.
Old 01-02-2020, 02:13 PM
goldbug
Premier Member

If anyone’s curious about an update, I’ve had the Basis Z on the car for about half a year now and I’d say it’s love-hate. On smooth roads and around corners it’s a huge improvement over OEM. As others have said though, they can be a little bouncy. Without dampening adjustability I think they are a little too soft if you go low like myself (I'm right at or a little under 26” ftg now). The roads here suck so I think I’ll be pulling the Basis Z off of the car in the next month or two and installing the Flex Z kit instead so I can control dampening with some stiffer springs to smoother things out, and add on the EDFC kit further down the road. I’ll be posting the Basis Z in the classifieds when I pull them off and get the Flex Z on the car if anyone will be interested in them. Updates to come.

I was considering BC racing BRs with swifts or FA500s but I think I want to give Tein another shot.
The following 2 users liked this post by goldbug:
Drivebywire222 (07-18-2020), Que60 (12-24-2020)
Old 01-11-2020, 05:09 AM
Crusher103
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
You must have never driven to VA. You wanna talk about shAt roads. both 85 and 95, Me and my friends took a trip to VA beach and these were in hellaflush and stance cars, we NEVER complained about NC roads again. My God.
goldbug (06-29-2020)
Old 06-29-2020, 08:41 PM
goldbug
Premier Member

Long term update: The Basis Z is still a great system for the price, but I finally ordered the Flex Z and will be swapping the coilovers out next month. If you are planning on going pretty low or right at 26”FTG the Basis Z is just a little too bouncy and not stiff enough, just my opinion. Now, if you pair the Basis Z with some quality sway bars I’ve heard great things - I haven’t purchased sways yet since there aren’t too many curves where I currently live, so I can’t offer any input there sadly. I’ll get a back-to-back review posted sometime after the Flex Z gets installed though for anyone curious.
Old 06-29-2020, 08:51 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,571 Likes on 3,422 Posts
No sweeping on/off ramps to your local highway system? No traffic circles anywhere? Never change lanes quickly?

Pretty sure you would love a set of aftermarket swaybars. So many driving benefits from a reduced body roll. If I were only allowed to make one mod to the car, just one, it would be swaybars. Honest.
Old 06-30-2020, 11:06 AM
goldbug
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
No sweeping on/off ramps to your local highway system? No traffic circles anywhere? Never change lanes quickly?

Pretty sure you would love a set of aftermarket swaybars. So many driving benefits from a reduced body roll. If I were only allowed to make one mod to the car, just one, it would be swaybars. Honest.
Haha not very many at all sadly! I think we have 2 or 3 traffic circles (in neighborhoods/shopping centers) with mostly straight 4-lane roads- it's a small beach town my wife and I are living in for another year or two (at most). I'm definitely not saying I wouldn't benefit from them or enjoy them, and have plans to purchase some later this year anyways, but in the need first category the stiffer coilovers won. You have to drive out of town to find any twisties or roads with a speed limit above 45mph here, it's so awful and depressing as a driver lol

Quick Reply: Review Tein Street Basis Z for Sport coupe