Notices

Steering wheel crooked

Old 06-17-2019, 02:40 AM
Said Amir

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
Steering wheel crooked

Hello, so I recently went to the alignment shop to have my rear cambers to be adjusted a bit, and after the alignment was over my steering wheel is a bit off to the right. When I let go of the steering wheel the car tracks straight, but when I straighten in, the car will go to the left. I was wondering is it due to the rear toe being more in than the front? Also took it back to the alignment shop, and they put it back on the rack, and claimed that everything is fine, and they don't see a issue. If anyone has had this issue please share your experience for the fix.

This is before, and after making the adjustments to the rear camber.

This is after I went back to the shop, and they claimed that everything is fine.
Old 06-17-2019, 11:11 AM
Jsolo
Insane & Delirious

Received 381 Likes on 326 Posts
I don't know what a steering wheel crocket is.

Normally, when an alignment is performed, one of the initial steps is to center the steering wheel, then make adjustments. Centering the steering wheel is a subjective adjustment. Sounds like this was not done, or not locked into place properly. Had an alignment done to a different car where I wasn't satisfied with the centering of the wheel. Tech had me center the wheel myself, then redid other adjustments. No issues since.

Last edited by Jsolo; 06-18-2019 at 11:34 AM. Reason: Spelling
The following users liked this post:
Said Amir (06-17-2019)
Old 06-17-2019, 03:29 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 664 Likes on 588 Posts
It's a simple matter of adjusting the tie rods. The tech didn't check the steering wheel for being centered when he adjust front toe. Take your car back to them and let them handle it. Should take all of five minutes.
Old 06-17-2019, 07:14 PM
Said Amir

Originally Posted by slartibartfast View Post
It's a simple matter of adjusting the tie rods. The tech didn't check the steering wheel for being centered when he adjust front toe. Take your car back to them and let them handle it. Should take all of five minutes.
I did take it back and they just said ďidk what you want me to do everything looks fine, if you want it perfect take it to the dealerĒ doesnít make any sense, and I did read about centering the wheel and tried explain that too them but nope the alignment rack is somehow correct to them. Iím just take it to another shop and just see what they can do.
Old 06-17-2019, 08:05 PM
OldG2NewG

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Nope. Nope. Nope. You paid for a service and that service wasn't completed. No way would I go to another shop and pay again for a service I've already paid for.
Old 06-17-2019, 09:06 PM
Said Amir

Originally Posted by OldG2NewG View Post
Nope. Nope. Nope. You paid for a service and that service wasn't completed. No way would I go to another shop and pay again for a service I've already paid for.
But they donít know how to do it thatís the thing. And itís a waste of time to just have them constantly look at it and say they donít know what to do with it. It was 65$ for a year long and I took it to them 3 times already and then on the 4th time they messed it up and canít figure it out. But it is what it is honestly.
Old 06-17-2019, 09:38 PM
ILM-NC G37S

Received 178 Likes on 150 Posts
If that shop does not know how to adjust the tie rods to get the steering wheel centered then they should closed. They would never see my business again. And I would do what I could to make sure nobody I know ever gives them any business either. Just my 10Ę worth.

That said, I agree with others that you paid for a service and should receive same in full and proper. However, if the shop is not willing, or capable, to remedy the situation then, for the sake of sanity- and them potentially screwing up your car- move on. You said the car tracks straight. I would just deal with the matter until the next time you need a alignment. Then have a reputable shop get it all sorted.

Again, just my thoughts...
and by CROCKET, I am assuming you meant CROOKED? lol

Last edited by ILM-NC G37S; 06-17-2019 at 09:52 PM.
Said Amir (06-17-2019)
Old 06-17-2019, 10:05 PM
saywat?

Received 239 Likes on 212 Posts
i think thats just how alignment shops are. they just depend too much on the machines and only want to depend on them. i run into this issue 100% of the time at the shops. so i usually get the alignment, get it back crooked, then crawl under and adjust my tie rods then take it back and tell them i made adjustments and to only adjust the toe minimally but within spec. that usually works for me. good luck its a pain in the *** to adjust the tie rods to get the steering straight lol. but once u learn to do it its worth knowing how rather than depend on the shop since most will just say its fine
Said Amir (06-17-2019)
Old 06-17-2019, 10:32 PM
Said Amir

Originally Posted by saywat? View Post
i think thats just how alignment shops are. they just depend too much on the machines and only want to depend on them. i run into this issue 100% of the time at the shops. so i usually get the alignment, get it back crooked, then crawl under and adjust my tie rods then take it back and tell them i made adjustments and to only adjust the toe minimally but within spec. that usually works for me. good luck its a pain in the *** to adjust the tie rods to get the steering straight lol. but once u learn to do it its worth knowing how rather than depend on the shop since most will just say its fine
I watched a few videos right now, and i guess that is the only way to fix it by doing it your self. But, I just do not know how much to turn the tie rods.
Old 06-17-2019, 10:39 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

One turn at a time. Do both one turn then check your steering wheel. And never go back to that shop, they are either lazy or incompetent.
Baadnewsburr (06-18-2019)
Old 06-17-2019, 10:40 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Jsolo View Post
I don't know what a steering wheel crocket is.

I think he means crooked.
Old 06-18-2019, 12:05 AM
Jsolo
Insane & Delirious

Received 381 Likes on 326 Posts
^^Indeed. Folks need to proof read before hitting submit.

If the original shop can't/won't get it right, I'd be requesting a refund. If they can do that then dispute the charge. Take pics of the steering wheel/wheels, maybe a video of the car drifting with the wheel straight.

Or, just get in the car and center the wheel to your liking while they readjust toe.
Old 06-18-2019, 09:14 AM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 270 Likes on 235 Posts
I fixed the title, my OCD couldn't take looking at "crocked" anymore lol...

Unfortunately its common enough that crappy alignment shops that rely on a low price and high volumes do this sometimes because they get away with it all the time...but really its basic competence to be able to centre the steering wheel and part of the job... the ones that don't want to fix it usually don't want to do it because it requires fully setting up the car on the rack again which they don\t want to be bothered with if they aren't getting paid again even though it was their fault they forgot to do it/couldn't do it the first time...I have found it pays to go to an alignment shop that cares about their reputation so asking for a referral and asking them to double check the steering wheel before they take it off the rack as gentle reminder probably won't hurt either ..chalk it up to (small) lesson learned and get back to enjoying your car.
Old 06-20-2019, 04:32 PM
Said Amir

Originally Posted by Hashim View Post
I fixed the title, my OCD couldn't take looking at "crocked" anymore lol...

Unfortunately its common enough that crappy alignment shops that rely on a low price and high volumes do this sometimes because they get away with it all the time...but really its basic competence to be able to centre the steering wheel and part of the job... the ones that don't want to fix it usually don't want to do it because it requires fully setting up the car on the rack again which they don\t want to be bothered with if they aren't getting paid again even though it was their fault they forgot to do it/couldn't do it the first time...I have found it pays to go to an alignment shop that cares about their reputation so asking for a referral and asking them to double check the steering wheel before they take it off the rack as gentle reminder probably won't hurt either ..chalk it up to (small) lesson learned and get back to enjoying your car.
Lol thanks for fixing it I was using my phone when typing it up, probably autocorrect. But when I took it back they did put it on the alignment rack again and I explained to him and even offered him to drive it and see it for himself, but his excuse is that the camber and toe looks good, so the only probably would be the steering sensor, but I read that you donít have to reset it unless you have replaced the steering rack. But then again it is what it is, they want be a little bit$$ about it. Iím take it to another shop which I use to go too and have him do it for me.
Old 06-20-2019, 05:19 PM
ILM-NC G37S

Received 178 Likes on 150 Posts
That shop is definitely trying to screw you. There is no "steering sensor" except for the steering angle sensor which has not one damn thing to do with your steering wheel being off center. Best to cut your losses and go to a more knowledgeable, and reputable shop. Maybe those clucks will go out of business.

Good luck, Said.
Said Amir (06-20-2019)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Steering wheel crooked

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.