Brakes & Suspension Reviews on brakes & suspension for G vehicles.

Review Z1 2pc. slotted front rotors

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2018, 12:26 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Z1 2pc. slotted front rotors

I installed these rotors back in May on my 2013 G37S sedan 6spd. for a track day at Road America and they held up well and also work good for daily driving (albeit a bit of overkill for the street). They do shave off 8.2 lbs per corner so that is quite a lot of rotating weight. So much that if you pay really close attention you can actually feel it accelerate a bit quicker. These rotors are relatively cheap compared to other 2pc. options and the fact that they can be rebuilt with a new set of rounds is a nice plus.

The only strange thing is that the bolts face the back of the rotor so if they ever come loose you would need to remove the rotor. Kind of a weird design. I took a punch to make a line on the back of the bolt and nut so that I can see right away if any of them come loose. I recommend doing the same, especially if you track your car. All in all I am happy with the parts. Now I just have to wait for Z1 to discount the rears as much as the front rotors.

Last edited by 4DRZ; 11-06-2018 at 12:34 PM.
Old 11-06-2018, 12:49 PM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
man those are nice, I was surprised to read that Nissan used them on their Nismo 370z with the 400hp Q50 Redsport engine that was shown at SEMA this year...I always thought of the Z1 stuff as the cheaper but still quality alternative to bigger international brands like, DBA, Racing brake and brembo etc...but its quite the nod from the factory to put them on a show car as the go to and not the also ran
Old 11-06-2018, 01:49 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

I agree. I think they are probably the best bang for the buck if you need 2pc. rotors
Old 11-06-2018, 02:00 PM
bPChaos
Registered Member

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
I run a set of these as well - fronts only too since the backs are expensive. No, they're not cheap. But if you're interested in weight savings, you really can't beat saving weight here. Mine are really badly pad-deposited right now, and need turning, but they've held up exceptionally well over the 2 years I've had them. I've burnt the coating off the rotor rings, but the hats are in perfect shape.

They're also really pretty.
The following users liked this post:
4DRZ (11-06-2018)
Old 11-09-2018, 12:20 AM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
I bought a used set and think I notice an acceleration benefit. Even less sure of a braking benefit but I'll take theoretical value. They make me feel a little better at the track, especially when showing students the line.
Old 05-17-2019, 09:10 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
I installed these rotors back in May...
So May 2018... that puts you at a one year anniversary for these rotors. How about a current pic and discussion to see how they've held up?

One of the things about the OEM rotors that's surprised me is how well they withstand corrosion. Mine are 8 years old now (with 42k miles), and it really took until recently that I started noticing surface rust competing with the black on the hat, edges and inner ring. And that's including Western NY winters, which are probably much the same as yours in WI.

I've plans to go with Z1 two-piece in Spring 2020, but would like to get some expectation on how they'll look after a while. Of course, I don't heat them up on the track like you do, but still, seems like a reasonable question.
Old 05-18-2019, 08:32 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Rochester, they should hold up a lot better than stock for street use. Especially, the aluminum hats for corrosion because they cannot rust. Mine have seen extreme use on the track and extreme heat and have held up well. No complaints. I used the brakes hard last time and was worried I wore them down because I used up a lot of life on my track brake pads. So I called up Z1 to see what thickness they recommend replacement and I am not even close. For street use these things will probably last a lot longer than you keep the car. I am still thinking of getting the rear Z1 2pc. rotors, but I may have a few other parts to get 1st.
The following users liked this post:
Rochester (05-18-2019)
Old 09-29-2019, 05:02 PM
KungFooFireman
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Especially, the aluminum hats for corrosion because they cannot rust..
By any chance has rust developed on the outer portion? I upgraded my brakes and went with Centric rotors and they have that stupid, ridiculous rust ring. I should have just went with the OEM rotors, sounds like they don't get that unsightly brown ring even after a long period of time. I'm interested in getting these eventually, front and rear. Group buy anyone?
Old 10-04-2019, 03:24 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by KungFooFireman
By any chance has rust developed on the outer portion? I upgraded my brakes and went with Centric rotors and they have that stupid, ridiculous rust ring. I should have just went with the OEM rotors, sounds like they don't get that unsightly brown ring even after a long period of time. I'm interested in getting these eventually, front and rear. Group buy anyone?
By "outer portion" do you mean the face of the rotor or the thin top edge where the two faces of the rotor meet? I don't have any rust on the face of my rotor where the pads make contact. If you park any car and it rains you will always get rust on the face, but that will go away once you brake a few times.
Old 10-04-2019, 10:35 PM
KungFooFireman
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
By "outer portion" do you mean the face of the rotor or the thin top edge where the two faces of the rotor meet? I don't have any rust on the face of my rotor where the pads make contact. If you park any car and it rains you will always get rust on the face, but that will go away once you brake a few times.
It's on the face of the rotor near the hat where the pads don't make any contact. It seems like the OEM rotors don't have that issue, and I use that term loosely because it's not really an issue, I just don't like the way it looks.
Old 10-05-2019, 05:16 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by KungFooFireman
It's on the face of the rotor near the hat where the pads don't make any contact. It seems like the OEM rotors don't have that issue, and I use that term loosely because it's not really an issue, I just don't like the way it looks.
Oh, the inside of the rotor. That makes more sense. The section of the Z1 rotor face toward the inside is coated with a black paint to match the black aluminum hats. Normally, that would not rust, but my rotors got hot after a few track days and the paint flaked off creating the rust. My oem rear rotors also rusted in the center and I actually just repainted both sets with high temp paint because the exact same rust issue also drove me nuts looking at it every day.
Old 02-08-2021, 02:10 PM
ARC_Rab
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dreaded surface rust. Will get the z1 2pc rotors for creating a BBK. Hopefully no rust issues
Old 02-08-2021, 03:13 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by ARC_Rab
Dreaded surface rust. Will get the z1 2pc rotors for creating a BBK. Hopefully no rust issues
You won't have any rust on the hat because it is aluminum and the rust I was talking about was on the very inner painted edge of the steel rotor rounds. You should not have that issue either unless you get them quite hot at a track day like I did. I actually have a replacement set of rounds waiting to go on once it warms up here.
Old 02-08-2021, 04:30 PM
ARC_Rab
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You won't have any rust on the hat because it is aluminum and the rust I was talking about was on the very inner painted edge of the steel rotor rounds. You should not have that issue either unless you get them quite hot at a track day like I did. I actually have a replacement set of rounds waiting to go on once it warms up here.
No track days for me, so that is good to hear
Old 02-15-2021, 10:51 AM
sobeIPL
Registered Member

Received 105 Likes on 75 Posts
Just to confirm, your saying you get a ring of rust that’s a few mm wide directly around the rotor hat b/ the pad doesn’t hit this spot. That correct? My rotors have this same issue and I HATE it.

I live near the beach and rust is a big problem for me. I am considering getting these z1 2 piece rotors mainly too look pimp and avoid rust but it sound like that ring between where pad coverage and rotor hat is still a problem. I thought maybe these rotors didn’t have all that excess rotor area that doesn’t contact pads but I guess it does

Quick Reply: Review Z1 2pc. slotted front rotors