Suspension Gurus, I'm Stumped.

Old 09-06-2018, 12:35 AM
Jbeck
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suspension Gurus, I'm Stumped.

2011 G37x Sedan, just rolled over 180k miles.

A little back-story, last winter I banged my rear driver side wheel in to a curb pretty hard. Bent the rim, visibly bent the rear lateral link, cracked the lower control arm(?) that the spring sits in, and damaged the wheel bearing.

Replaced all of the parts listed above. Just got brand new, albeit incredibly cheap (Naankang NS-25 275/35zr19), rear tires. Had a rear alignment done upon installment of tires.

Prior to AND after the new tires/alignment, my rear end would...what I can only describe as "shuffle/shimmy" over bumps, or when the pavement is wet/snowy.
Basically, when I hit a bump, the rear end feels like it wants to sidestep or swing out. It feels like my car is trying to shake its booty.

Secondly, I just got these new tires installed in the beginning of July, and they're already down to being completely bare. I did notice they were feathering, laterally, as in on each treadblock, the treadblock closer to the outside of the rim was lower than the treadblock closer to the vehicle itself. I drive about 400 miles a week to work and back. Hit the wear bars about two weeks ago. Now the car isn't being driven until I get new tires, and I'm having a shop look at it tomorrow afternoon.

All of my research seems to point towards one of the items I already replaced as being the culprit. Odd that all of those parts are new.
Also, what would cause BOTH tires to wear down that quickly?

Any insight would be appreciated!
Old 09-06-2018, 08:35 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Sounds like your toe adjustment is off, the description of your tire wear sounds like they're fighting to roll down the road. It's possible the alignment shop/tech didn't do a proper alignment. Did you get a spec printout from the shop? Also did you ever replace your shocks, if not I'm fairly certain they're toast at 180k miles. Also, having AWD, what tire size are you running in front, if the diameters are off by more than 1% than can cause issues w/ your AWD system (which may or may not translate into tire problems, not sure on that???)
Old 09-06-2018, 08:44 AM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
I would guess that the Rear toe was off...might also be that the rear subframe was bent from the impact or one of the camber arms...maybe get a 4 wheel alignment/double check the alignment that was done?

Edit: i missed Newt's post above, ...+1 what he said
Old 09-06-2018, 12:50 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Yeah, get another alignment and pay attention to rear thrust angle. Ideally, you want no thrust angle. As noted above, it you can't get proper toe and thrust angle, look to the subframe as the culprit.
Old 09-06-2018, 06:06 PM
Jbeck
Registered Member

Thanks for all the replies!

I reeeeeally hope the subframe isn’t damaged. But I have it at the shop that did the alignment in the first place, told them the situation, etc etc. They were pretty stunned that the tires went that quickly, and they were somewhat in agreement that perhaps the alignment hadn’t been done (I was charged for it though, and this is a shop my family always goes to if we have car issues we can’t fix ourselves) so I’m pretty sure they’ll make this right.
Now I’m at work & waiting to hear back on what they figure out.
I’ll keep this thread updated!
Old 09-06-2018, 06:10 PM
Jbeck
Registered Member

Originally Posted by blnewt
Sounds like your toe adjustment is off, the description of your tire wear sounds like they're fighting to roll down the road. It's possible the alignment shop/tech didn't do a proper alignment. Did you get a spec printout from the shop? Also did you ever replace your shocks, if not I'm fairly certain they're toast at 180k miles. Also, having AWD, what tire size are you running in front, if the diameters are off by more than 1% than can cause issues w/ your AWD system (which may or may not translate into tire problems, not sure on that???)
Shocks are still the same ones that were on the car when I bought it at 96k. They pass the bounce test but I plan on replacing them within the next month regardless.
And as far as tire sizes, I run 245/40r19 in the front and 275/35r19 in the rear