Best Shocks for G35x Sport?

Old 07-26-2018, 05:34 PM
RemmysG37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Shocks for G35x Sport?

Are there any shocks for a 2008 G35x Sport that will be able to slghtly lower ride height and provide a comfortable ride also?

I dont know if my car as Active steering or not and dont know how to tell if it does.

My car has reached 117,000kms now and the ride is quite rough and bouncy. Main goal is to have comfort and not such a firm ride, and also be able to lower it by 0.5 to 1 inch. Which one looks better I dont know.

Steering rack is also out most definitely as my steering wheel is quite heavy. Dont know which one to order exactly.

If someone can guide me to the right stuff that would be very helpful.

Cheers
Old 07-26-2018, 06:59 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
You have the V36 platform, so anything for 2008 thru 2014 will fit. There is a stickied thread in this forum for AWD coil-overs available. The selection is limited compared to RWD. You'll find it much easier to find lowering springs but lowering without increasing spring rate usually ends up worse as you spend more time on the stiff bump stops. The only stock-style damper worthwhile is Koni but that still requires extra effort.
The following users liked this post:
KidJai06 (07-28-2018)
Old 07-28-2018, 03:33 PM
KidJai06
Registered Member

Received 130 Likes on 91 Posts
If you are looking to make suspension changes with the X slartibartfast is on point with things being limited. You could go less expensive and go with an oem replacement and a lowering spring (swift or eibach are most popular) but realize those dampers aren't made to go along with the aftermarket spring which will shorten their lifespan and you'll be right back here again in a couple years. The other option as previously mentioned is coilovers, do some research to see what you want out of your suspension and come up with a budget and select the best fit for you. This will be more expense up front, but if you intend to keep your car a while, will be cheaper in the long run. Unfortunately there isn't really a aftermarket damper out there that can be shipped off the shelf to go with lowering springs.

Also just throwing it out there that once you start to go lower, suspension geometry changes, and its important to keep alignment (specifically toe) within spec so you don't chew through your tires. Very mild drops (≈1.00") most report being fairly safe, but keep close eye on things to make sure you don't need to pick up a set of front upper control arms, rear camber arms, and rear toe bolts.
Old 07-31-2018, 06:24 PM
RemmysG37

Originally Posted by KidJai06
If you are looking to make suspension changes with the X slartibartfast is on point with things being limited. You could go less expensive and go with an oem replacement and a lowering spring (swift or eibach are most popular) but realize those dampers aren't made to go along with the aftermarket spring which will shorten their lifespan and you'll be right back here again in a couple years. The other option as previously mentioned is coilovers, do some research to see what you want out of your suspension and come up with a budget and select the best fit for you. This will be more expense up front, but if you intend to keep your car a while, will be cheaper in the long run. Unfortunately there isn't really a aftermarket damper out there that can be shipped off the shelf to go with lowering springs.

Also just throwing it out there that once you start to go lower, suspension geometry changes, and its important to keep alignment (specifically toe) within spec so you don't chew through your tires. Very mild drops (≈1.00") most report being fairly safe, but keep close eye on things to make sure you don't need to pick up a set of front upper control arms, rear camber arms, and rear toe bolts.
I saw some KYB GR2s on tire rack. Looking for something under $1000 CAD, I dont know if the GR2s are going to be near stock ride or slightly more firm. I am ok with having stock ride vs more sporty. Where is the best place to order infiniti stock parts online? Dealer is way too expensive. Quoted me $2000 CAD for replacing steering rack alone.
Old 08-01-2018, 01:25 AM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
The GR2 are very similar to stock.
Old 08-01-2018, 08:53 AM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
Originally Posted by RemmysG37
I saw some KYB GR2s on tire rack. Looking for something under $1000 CAD, I dont know if the GR2s are going to be near stock ride or slightly more firm. I am ok with having stock ride vs more sporty. Where is the best place to order infiniti stock parts online? Dealer is way too expensive. Quoted me $2000 CAD for replacing steering rack alone.
I just ordered a full set of KYBs from Rock Auto for my 2nd gen g35x....total cost including shipping and taxes was about $400.00CAD...plus the manufacturer has a $40.00 Visa gift card rebate starting yesterday.

This is my second set ( installed the last set about 140,000kms ago and ran them with swift springs), they are the closest ones to stock available...rock auto has options that are even cheaper now too...

they advertise 15% stiffer than stock but really they are the same...KYB is the OEM supplier for the AWD G's dampers as far as I recall. They are made in Japan.
Old 08-01-2018, 09:48 PM
KidJai06
Registered Member

Received 130 Likes on 91 Posts
Originally Posted by Hashim
KYB is the OEM supplier for the AWD G's dampers as far as I recall. They are made in Japan.
That is my recollection too, KYB makes a pretty good product, I have used GR-2's in other cars over the years and was happy with them. The big thing to remember is that because they are a OE replacement that they're designed to mesh with the OEM springs. If looking for lower ride height as OP was inquiring about, lifespan of the damper is likely to be reduced as its not functioning as intended.
The following users liked this post:
Baadnewsburr (08-02-2018)
Old 08-02-2018, 09:17 AM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by KidJai06
If looking for lower ride height as OP was inquiring about, lifespan of the damper is likely to be reduced as its not functioning as intended.
Yeah this is spot on. however to put it in real numbers, in my experience only of course, I have had my KYBs on with swifts for about 140k kms of driving on really bad roads...the KYBs have been good up until about say 10000 or 15000 kms ago...typical dampers are good to about 160k kms...so maybe theyt are good for about say 75-80% of the intended lifetime if my experience is anything to go by... I was considering going with a set of COs this time around but I figured the KYB's are so cheap and I already have the springs so I can basically buy 3 sets of KYB's before I hit the cost of CO's in Canada with shipping and taxes which will give me at least 300,000 Kms of driving and even with COs the dampers wont last that long and they should be rebuilt after about 160k kms...the economics are bit different in the US as the cost of shipping is much lower and retail prices of COs are lower....I figure the OP may be similarly constrained...maybe if Rockauto started selling COs lol
Old 08-02-2018, 12:31 PM
RemmysG37

Yeah this is spot on. however to put it in real numbers, in my experience only of course, I have had my KYBs on with swifts for about 140k kms of driving on really bad roads...the KYBs have been good up until about say 10000 or 15000 kms ago...typical dampers are good to about 160k kms...so maybe theyt are good for about say 75-80% of the intended lifetime if my experience is anything to go by... I was considering going with a set of COs this time around but I figured the KYB's are so cheap and I already have the springs so I can basically buy 3 sets of KYB's before I hit the cost of CO's in Canada with shipping and taxes which will give me at least 300,000 Kms of driving and even with COs the dampers wont last that long and they should be rebuilt after about 160k kms...the economics are bit different in the US as the cost of shipping is much lower and retail prices of COs are lower....I figure the OP may be similarly constrained...maybe if Rockauto started selling COs lol
Did you mean that the KYB shocks only lasted for 15,000km before turning in to a bad ride? I live in alberta so the roads are pretty bad
I think I will go for KYBs since the price is good and lots of people have experience with them.
I am also going to skip the lowering. Leave it stock.
How long do shocks generally last?
Old 08-02-2018, 12:46 PM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by RemmysG37
Did you mean that the KYB shocks only lasted for 15,000km before turning in to a bad ride? I live in alberta so the roads are pretty bad
I think I will go for KYBs since the price is good and lots of people have experience with them.
I am also going to skip the lowering. Leave it stock.
How long do shocks generally last?

lol no, they lasted about 125,000-130,000kms before turning into a bad ride. Dampers typically last about 160,000kms on most cars but even at stock height that can very quite a bit if the road conditions they are used on are bad enough
Old 08-02-2018, 07:50 PM
RemmysG37

lol no, they lasted about 125,000-130,000kms before turning into a bad ride. Dampers typically last about 160,000kms on most cars but even at stock height that can very quite a bit if the road conditions they are used on are bad enough
Looks like I'm sold on the KYB GR2s. Thanks for the help everyone, much appreciated and thanks again Hashim.
Old 08-03-2018, 11:54 AM
EcstaticG37XS
Registered Member

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
I just ordered a full set of KYBs from Rock Auto for my 2nd gen g35x....total cost including shipping and taxes was about $400.00CAD...plus the manufacturer has a $40.00 Visa gift card rebate starting yesterday.

This is my second set ( installed the last set about 140,000kms ago and ran them with swift springs), they are the closest ones to stock available...rock auto has options that are even cheaper now too...

they advertise 15% stiffer than stock but really they are the same...KYB is the OEM supplier for the AWD G's dampers as far as I recall. They are made in Japan.
Hashim,

Can you comment on the ride quality with the KYB and swift springs? Is the ride compliant or too harsh? I'm thinking of going with this setup instead of coilovers since my car is a daily driver.
Old 08-14-2018, 11:12 AM
defektion
Registered Member

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
I just replace my worn out OEM Tokico's from my X with KYB's. Rides like stock and the price is right.
Old 08-14-2018, 12:11 PM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by EcstaticG37XS
Hashim,

Can you comment on the ride quality with the KYB and swift springs? Is the ride compliant or too harsh? I'm thinking of going with this setup instead of coilovers since my car is a daily driver.
My experience has been that the rears feel about the same and the fronts feel the same on reasonably good roads but the front is much harsher than stock when you hit a pothole (this is also probably because my front Hotchkis sway bar is on a very stiff setting and its more noticeable when I run 19" wheels in the summer.)