Tein Basis vs. Koni adj. vs. Bilstein B16 (PSS10) for sedan?

Old 06-15-2018, 11:21 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 505 Likes on 435 Posts
Can you adapt the rear springs/collars/hardware from the Tein's and run with Koni's since the rear shock/spring is separate?
Old 06-15-2018, 11:27 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
Can you adapt the rear springs/collars/hardware from the Tein's and run with Koni's since the rear shock/spring is separate?

Would seem like that would be pretty straightforward since the only part you'd be changing is the shock. Spring rates are close to oem so combined w/ a performance damper like Koni might be the ticket, at least for the rear.

Might also consider Eibach springs on the Konis, I think Black Betty is running that setup IIRC.

And no, I don't have experience w/ the Feal coilovers, pretty recent lineup AFAIK, here's a thread on them for the X, might shoot a PM to the OP of that thread and see what his latest impressions are.
https://www.myg37.com/forums/brakes-...37x-sedan.html
Old 06-15-2018, 01:38 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
I might be able to do that in the rear, but I would prefer not to Frankenstein my suspension. It would be nice to have springs that are engineered to work with the shocks.
Old 06-15-2018, 01:50 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Originally Posted by 4DRZ
It would be nice to have springs that are engineered to work with the shocks.
In theory, doesn't that eliminate the Koni option?
Old 06-15-2018, 01:54 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

In theory, doesn't that eliminate the Koni option?
The Konis are designed to run with factory springs so if I get springs that work with the factory shocks I should be ok. My Tein springs are designed to work with coilovers so the heights and dimensions are off and maybe the spring rates.
Old 06-15-2018, 02:41 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
I have not had the opportunity to compare the MeisterR to any other coil-over. If Splitter can make the next rack event, I could get a ride-along to sample his KW set-up.

26 of 32 is a sporty ride but not uncontrolled. I can't comment on impact harshness due to all the urethane in the rear end. The springs aren't that much stiffer than stock so the ride doesn't suffer much at all compared to OE Sport.
Old 06-15-2018, 05:54 PM
FlashGuy
Registered Member

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
Have you looked at Hyperco springs? They make a wide range of conventional springs you might be able to pair with the Koni's.
The following users liked this post:
4DRZ (06-16-2018)
Old 06-15-2018, 06:08 PM
FlashGuy
Registered Member

I had those Teins on a car and they were ok on many roads, but pretty harsh on some. So have you ridden in a G with Tein Basis to compare? How do your monoflex ride on brand new roads that look smooth, but are actually bouncy at the seams.

I would like to stay under $2k if I do something, closer to $1k would be even better.
I have not ridden in a G with Basis coils to compare.

The I-294 section by O'Hare airport is just as you describe. My agressive settings bounce if my dampers are set too soft. I dial in a good setting around 24 of 32 clicks from stiff and it's really enjoyable. There is a very narrow window of adjustment to deal with this sort of road imperfection because too soft and you're oscillating as you're not dampped enough. Too stiff, and you're almost skipping from one peak to the next.

The E92 M3 has a bounce over roads like this.
The following 3 users liked this post by FlashGuy:
4DRZ (06-16-2018), blnewt (06-15-2018), slartibartfast (06-15-2018)
Old 06-16-2018, 11:53 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by FlashGuy
I have not ridden in a G with Basis coils to compare.

The I-294 section by O'Hare airport is just as you describe. My agressive settings bounce if my dampers are set too soft. I dial in a good setting around 24 of 32 clicks from stiff and it's really enjoyable. There is a very narrow window of adjustment to deal with this sort of road imperfection because too soft and you're oscillating as you're not dampped enough. Too stiff, and you're almost skipping from one peak to the next.

The E92 M3 has a bounce over roads like this.
Well, this is good news. I am amazed to hear you say that a set of Tein Monoflex ride well on this type of road because when I had a set a number of years ago they were pretty bouncy on this type of road. So you feel when you adjust the EDFC you can eliminate bounce on this type of road? Does it feel like stock on this type of road when adjusted properly? Where do you mount the EDFC in your car and is it a pretty easy install?
Old 06-16-2018, 11:56 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

I haven't tried to adjust the rears. In ReplicaR's thread, he mentions if you jack up the rear you can access the adjustment window.
Since you have the Koni's on your car right now can you do me a favor and see if the rear shocks are possible to adjust with the car on the ground or with a jack? Thanks!
Old 06-16-2018, 02:45 PM
FlashGuy
Registered Member

Well, this is good news. I am amazed to hear you say that a set of Tein Monoflex ride well on this type of road because when I had a set a number of years ago they were pretty bouncy on this type of road. So you feel when you adjust the EDFC you can eliminate bounce on this type of road? Does it feel like stock on this type of road when adjusted properly? Where do you mount the EDFC in your car and is it a pretty easy install?
Here is the best way I can explain it. Test drove a 2018 Q60 Red Sport Copue (same suspension as us up front with a true coilover setup out back) through a section of forest preserve that had these micro crests. The Q60 can eliminate most of the bounciness from the road surface in its standard setting, but left the car feeling sloppy and numb. I put it into sport mode and firmed up the suspension and it felt like it was jumping and crashing from bump to bump.

Then I drove my car through the same section of road to get a back to back comparison. I first cranked up the damping settings to see how and aggressive setting would feel. Yeah it was harsh and you could feel every bump, but the crash was not there. It was more of an elevation drop feel. Then I set the dampers to soft and felt the same as the Q60 in its standard setting. Except its more taut and nimble.

I really can't say if my suspension will be to your liking, just that it works for my ride preference. The car does not feel like stock. Not in a bad way in my opinion, but different. You can tell it's a sports car. Handles like my buddy's E92, but without the power.

On the physics side, I feel like we could go deep down into a rabbit hole to get a "perfect" setup. Would require a 4 way adjustable damper because fine tuning of high speed bound and rebound will deal with the bumps while the low speed setting can deal with the cornering. All this before we get into spring rates.

Here is a good technical video explaining how one guy dealt with this.

I think the European coils feel better because most of them use progressive springs to deal with the different types of frequencies you would encounter on public roads, whereas the Asian brands use linear springs and can only deal with a narrower set of conditions.

The EDFC install was very easy because the motor driver controller is wireless now. You just have to power them with a 12V accessory line. The most work is taking out the coils to mount the motors. The main controller receiver unit is mounted in the car with the display unit/g-sensor unit mounted forward of the shifter. I could probably mount it flush to that trim piece above the ash tray, but I just haven't had the time or motivation yet.
The following 2 users liked this post by FlashGuy:
4DRZ (06-19-2018), blnewt (06-16-2018)
Old 06-19-2018, 06:40 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

FlashGuy- Thanks for the info. Do you think your Tein Monoflex ride the same over the types of roads I was talking about compared to an E92 M3 or do you mean that it handles corners similarly? We just got an E90 M3 in on trade and it definitely rides better than my car on the bouncy roads in all suspension settings. Don't worry about speed. My car is noticeably faster with all the mods.

I think you may be onto something with progressive vs. linear springs. I had an Evo X right before the G and I first tried Eibach progressive springs that rode well on the street, but compressed too much on track and were unpredictable. Then I switched to Tanabe linear springs which were better on track, but bouncy on the street. I think this is why I lean to Koni, Bilstein, or maybe even KW which I hear lots of good things.

Do you have a picture of how you mounted the EDFC? That is cool that it is wireless now.
Old 06-19-2018, 08:06 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Since you have the Koni's on your car right now can you do me a favor and see if the rear shocks are possible to adjust with the car on the ground or with a jack? Thanks!
I'm due an oil change, I'll try and check this over the weekend when I have my jack and stuff out.
Old 06-19-2018, 04:07 PM
Surfnazi
Registered Member

Received 176 Likes on 165 Posts
Dont rhe reara just have to be unbolted at the bottom and you compress the shaft and turn to adjust them?
Old 06-19-2018, 04:48 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

I'm due an oil change, I'll try and check this over the weekend when I have my jack and stuff out.
Awesome, thanks! Is it impossible to reach with the car on the ground, but maybe possible to reach with the car jacked up?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tein Basis vs. Koni adj. vs. Bilstein B16 (PSS10) for sedan?