Help 13 G37xS Loud "Creaking" noise while braking

Old 05-21-2018, 12:17 AM
Cx Hatch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
13 G37xS Loud "Creaking" noise while braking

Link to video:
https://youtu.be/yDWGAQkHF8U

UPDATE: Different brake pads solved the issue. The dealer had used the cheap Duralast Semi-Metallic pads while "Getting the car ready for sale" before I purchased it. Replaced those with a nice set of Ceramic brake pads and it's now good to go. NO NOISE AT ALL ANYMORE

I have searched around but never found an answer or solution to the problem.

I have a 2013 G37xs Sedan I purchased recently, 63k miles. Brake pads have alot of life left and the rotors don't look too bad visually but I'm no expert.

During mild braking, usually from around 25mph til stop. I get this loud "creaking" noise from the front driver side brakes. It's a "rotational" noise.

Anyone ever find the solution to this issue?

My car is the Sedan XS so it has the basic brake package.

Last edited by Cx Hatch; 05-23-2018 at 12:40 AM. Reason: Fixed Problem
Old 05-21-2018, 05:52 AM
Surfnazi
Registered Member

Received 176 Likes on 165 Posts
Look as at the rotor to see if its scored bc something got stuck on the pad. Else take rotor off clean inside the hat any buildup and apply some copper grease
Old 05-22-2018, 09:19 PM
Cx Hatch

Today I changed the front brake pads and fixed the issue.
(Rotors were in good shape)

The brake pads I removed were basically brand new, looked fine and seemed to have nothing wrong with them. When I looked up the part # they were a Duralast Semi-Metallic set $24.99 from autozone. I purchased the car 2 months ago from a Ford dealer and that loud creaking has been happening ever since. I suspect the dealer put those pads on there.

Well after installing a new set of Wagner OEx Ceramic pads, all noise is completely GONE!

I guess the WRONG set of brake pads can really cause alot of noise and aggravation.
Old 05-23-2018, 12:41 AM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Wrong pads? If they fit properly, they aren't wrong. You may not have liked them, but they aren't wrong. You would hate the Hawk 5.0 pads I have on my car.
Old 05-23-2018, 05:17 PM
Cx Hatch

Originally Posted by slartibartfast
Wrong pads? If they fit properly, they aren't wrong. You may not have liked them, but they aren't wrong. You would hate the Hawk 5.0 pads I have on my car.
If they creak, groan and squeal so loud it turns every head in the parking lot you are correct. I wouldnt like them. I actually looked at the Hawk pads and wanted those but nobody had them in stock. I meant wrong as in the pad material, they obviously fit. I took them on/off 3 times, greased them correctly and the problem continued each time. It was only after speaking to an Infiniti mechanic I realized ceramic (or better) is recommended over metallic.
Old 05-23-2018, 05:55 PM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
Originally Posted by Cx Hatch
If they creak, groan and squeal so loud it turns every head in the parking lot you are correct. I wouldnt like them. I actually looked at the Hawk pads and wanted those but nobody had them in stock. I meant wrong as in the pad material, they obviously fit. I took them on/off 3 times, greased them correctly and the problem continued each time. It was only after speaking to an Infiniti mechanic I realized ceramic (or better) is recommended over metallic.

ceramic are better for quietness, which a lot of people value over other qualities such as dusting or performance/aggressiveness. Which is completely valid, but so is prioritizing these things in any combination.

Usually the more aggressive a pad is they are noisier and dust more so they are all "good" but require some degree of compromise.

that being said, I have never met a brake pad I couldn't make quite with proper bedding in and greasing, that includes "noisy" race pads on a daily driver...most mechanics will never bed your pads in especially not aggressive pads sometimes because of laziness/lack of time but I suspect even more so because the process can be viewed by uninformed customers as "abuse" as it requires accelerating hard and slamming on the brakes repeatedly almost to complete stop
Old 05-25-2018, 11:43 PM
Surfnazi
Registered Member

Duralast pads aren't cheap they just didn't install them right
Old 05-29-2018, 05:56 AM
Cx Hatch

The ones I removed from my car were $20...that is cheap. I personally have never experienced any issues with the cheaper DL pads on my older vehicles.
BUT...I made a deal with the dealer they would replace the brakes when I purchased the car.
They could have used DL Gold or DL Max Ceramic but they wanted to save a few bucks and cut corners

They used the Cheapest Semi-metallic Pads Available when Infiniti calls for ceramic, Didnt replace the shims and didnt use caliper Grease. Halfway home they started screeching very loudly. I was told they had done their Part of the deal and it's normal to make noise at first.
This is why I have complaints.
Old 05-30-2018, 01:53 PM
Surfnazi
Registered Member

You need to make sure you apply a little grease to the back side of the plate along with the guide pins