Front brake pad issue???

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2015, 02:38 AM
Troop12

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front brake pad issue???

I bought new front and rear pads for my 2012 g37x sport from auto zone the other day. I went to install them today and the rears were fine but the front were not correct. I checked the part number on their website and it matched what they gave me. Also the pictures they have on the website did not look like what i took off of the car. I checked advance auto parts website as well. They have 3 different style pads for this car. All 3 look differnt. This may sound a little stupid but its kind of hard to explain but one set has what looks like a hook on each end. Another looks almost rectangular and a pin goes through the top and bottom and the other one just has a small nub on each end. The ones with the small nub on each end is what i took off of my car and what i need. AutoZone only stocks the ones with the hook on each end. Has anyone else had this issue? Thanks in advance for any info.
Old 08-09-2015, 03:27 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by Troop12
I bought new front and rear pads for my 2012 g37x sport from auto zone the other day. I went to install them today and the rears were fine but the front were not correct. I checked the part number on their website and it matched what they gave me. Also the pictures they have on the website did not look like what i took off of the car. I checked advance auto parts website as well. They have 3 different style pads for this car. All 3 look differnt. This may sound a little stupid but its kind of hard to explain but one set has what looks like a hook on each end. Another looks almost rectangular and a pin goes through the top and bottom and the other one just has a small nub on each end. The ones with the small nub on each end is what i took off of my car and what i need. AutoZone only stocks the ones with the hook on each end. Has anyone else had this issue? Thanks in advance for any info.
You need the pads for the 320mm front rotor, you probably got the ones for the 330mm front set. Yours will have the same part # as the G37 Sedan RWD Journey without sport package. There's also a 355mm front rotor for the G37XS coupe so it's possible they got those mixed up.
Old 08-09-2015, 12:30 PM
RickyDgmZ

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'd recommend OEM pads + Rotors honestly. Overall you'll get far more life out of the pads. I know people tend to want to save money on brakes and rotors but why cheap out when it comes to safety? My best recommendation is to mic the rotors and "turn" them to be resurfaced. Not sure if you have any reputable break shops around your area but that's where I'd go to have everything done. Unless you have access to a brake lathe then you could turn them yourself.
Old 08-09-2015, 01:18 PM
telcoman
Registered Member

Received 161 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by RickyDgmZ
I'd recommend OEM pads + Rotors honestly. Overall you'll get far more life out of the pads.
So would I!

When I needed pads replaced on my previous 06 G35 6 sp at 85k miles I had the dealer replace the pads and turn the rotors. Those pads and rotors were still on my vehicle when I traded it in for my 2012 G37S at 171796 miles.I had a loaner while the work was done and everything was perfect after the work was completed.

Seems like the op has already experienced more aggravation over brake pads and most likely not receive a loaner vehicle while the work is being done.

I know people tend to want to save money on brakes and rotors but why cheap out when it comes to safety? .
Brakes and tires are not the places to try and save money.

... why cheap out when it comes to safety?
Buying cheap usually ends up buying twice.

Telcoman
Old 08-03-2017, 03:00 PM
Victory
Registered Member

Received 153 Likes on 122 Posts
I'd recommend OEM pads + Rotors honestly. Overall you'll get far more life out of the pads. I know people tend to want to save money on brakes and rotors but why cheap out when it comes to safety? My best recommendation is to mic the rotors and "turn" them to be resurfaced. Not sure if you have any reputable break shops around your area but that's where I'd go to have everything done. Unless you have access to a brake lathe then you could turn them yourself.
I'm not sure you'll find a difference in quality, But you'll certainly find a difference in price. You're looking at about $500 in OEM parts vs $350 for premium aftermarket for a 4 wheel brake job. That's $150 you can spend on something else.

As far as resurfacing goes, in my experience, it's a good way to get another 10-20k mi out of a set of rotors, but I'd rather just replace them when i do the brakes and not have to do the job twice.
Old 05-09-2018, 12:45 PM
Flyguy03

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tires

What kind of tires are you running? It’s time for me to replace mine and I’ve heard good things about the Michelin All Season tires.
Old 05-09-2018, 12:56 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Um, why did you post a tire question in a brake post? An OLD post at that...

Look in the tech/wheels and tires forum for what all the kool kids are buying.
Old 05-09-2018, 01:54 PM
GdaddyNY
Registered Member

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by slartibartfast
Um, why did you post a tire question in a brake post? An OLD post at that...

Look in the tech/wheels and tires forum for what all the kool kids are buying.
i can tell Slartibartfast loves it when old posts get revived lol
Old 05-09-2018, 02:40 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
It slays me...