Clunking noise when driving over bumps?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2018, 10:05 PM
Dan G37
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Clunking noise when driving over bumps?

Just about today I've noticed that every once in a while when I drive over a bump I hear a loud thud or clunking noise on the left front side suspension.

I've replaced the struts around 5k miles ago so was wondering what else it could be.

Also if anyone else is from MN whats a good reliable mechanic in Minnesota that specializes with Infiniti Cars.

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-20-2018, 10:02 AM
hockeyzbh

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan G37
Just about today I've noticed that every once in a while when I drive over a bump I hear a loud thud or clunking noise on the left front side suspension.

I've replaced the struts around 5k miles ago so was wondering what else it could be.

Also if anyone else is from MN whats a good reliable mechanic in Minnesota that specializes with Infiniti Cars.

Thanks in advance!

Do you have a custom suspension? this happened on my g37x coupe on the passenger side. Ended up just being the bushing was worn (altho my mechanic did tell me to replace my lower arm before which did not solve the problem). Bushing was a cheap fix and solved it
Old 03-20-2018, 10:24 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 505 Likes on 435 Posts
Did you replace the upper rubber shock mounts on the front?

OE or aftermarket swaybars? I experienced a clunk in the front suspension over bumps and it was also the poly swaybar bushings that had worn out. This wouldn't be an issue on OE sways.

Aside from the above, end links?
Old 03-20-2018, 11:05 AM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
could be upper or lower ball joints going...check for play
Old 03-20-2018, 01:22 PM
Dan G37
Registered Member

Originally Posted by hockeyzbh
Do you have a custom suspension? this happened on my g37x coupe on the passenger side. Ended up just being the bushing was worn (altho my mechanic did tell me to replace my lower arm before which did not solve the problem). Bushing was a cheap fix and solved it
Stock springs with new struts. Will check the bushing to see if they are worn out.
Old 03-20-2018, 01:32 PM
Dan G37
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
Did you replace the upper rubber shock mounts on the front?

OE or aftermarket swaybars? I experienced a clunk in the front suspension over bumps and it was also the poly swaybar bushings that had worn out. This wouldn't be an issue on OE sways.

Aside from the above, end links?
Havent replace the rubber shock mounts. I have OE Swaybars and haven't checked the poly swaybar bushings. I'll take a look at it and see if they are worn out.

How are you able to tell if they went bad?
Old 03-20-2018, 01:36 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Havent replace the rubber shock mounts. I have OE Swaybars and haven't checked the poly swaybar bushings. I'll take a look at it and see if they are worn out.

How are you able to tell if they went bad?
OE Sway bars use rubber bushings, aftermarket sways use poly. It's highly unlikely that is your issue.
The following users liked this post:
Dan G37 (03-20-2018)
Old 03-20-2018, 01:55 PM
Dan G37
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
OE Sway bars use rubber bushings, aftermarket sways use poly. It's highly unlikely that is your issue.
What should I check for? My car is at 82k miles. Changed the front struts 5k miles ago.
Old 03-20-2018, 01:58 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

What should I check for? My car is at 82k miles. Changed the front struts 5k miles ago.
Clunks and squeaks are hard to diagnose. It could be the upper shock mount, end links, upper/lower ball joints, or maybe even something loose from the shock install.

I'd recommend taking it back to the shop that did the install if you can't easily pinpoint the source.
Dan G37 (03-20-2018)
Old 03-20-2018, 07:19 PM
Dan G37
Registered Member

Heres the noise from inside the car while driving over bumps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MM5...ature=youtu.be

Got it all on my dashcam. I'll jack up the car tomorrow and check the bushings other things it could be. If I can't diagnose it I will take it to the mechanic.

I'm afraid to even drive the car right now. I feel like the arm will just snap right off or something.
Old 03-20-2018, 11:56 PM
llebcire
Registered Member

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts
Intrested in diagnosis. I have front end clunks @ 72k on 2011 G37x Sedan and have replaced end links which helped but didn't eliminate. Getting ready to order sway bar bushings but doesn't sound like my OEM rubber bushings (to the best of my knowledge OEM) would make this noise.

-Eric
Old 03-21-2018, 12:15 AM
Dan G37
Registered Member

Originally Posted by llebcire
Intrested in diagnosis. I have front end clunks @ 72k on 2011 G37x Sedan and have replaced end links which helped but didn't eliminate. Getting ready to order sway bar bushings but doesn't sound like my OEM rubber bushings (to the best of my knowledge OEM) would make this noise.

-Eric
I'm taking it to the mechanic this week and I'll post an update. Hopefully it fixes the clunking noise. I just changed my front struts recently. So I think its either the end links or the bushings.
Old 03-21-2018, 01:54 PM
llebcire
Registered Member

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts
That's awesome!

What's unique to me is that my noise sounds like it's coming from very low in the suspension and I only hear it over small bumps at slower speeds such as side streets and parking lots. Also, it goes away when I lightly engage the brakes although I haven't been able to find anything with the calipers. My next step is sway bar bushings based on an "eek eek" noise from the lower front end under 45 degrees outside temperature.

-Eric
Old 03-21-2018, 02:25 PM
Dan G37
Registered Member

Originally Posted by llebcire
That's awesome!

What's unique to me is that my noise sounds like it's coming from very low in the suspension and I only hear it over small bumps at slower speeds such as side streets and parking lots. Also, it goes away when I lightly engage the brakes although I haven't been able to find anything with the calipers. My next step is sway bar bushings based on an "eek eek" noise from the lower front end under 45 degrees outside temperature.

-Eric
Thats strange! I just took my wheel off and it looks like someone didn't install the front left strut correctly and the bolt is loose. Gonna take it to the shop that did it and make them fix it. I'm pretty sure thats the source of the noise!
Old 03-21-2018, 02:47 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Wouldn't it have just been easier to tighten it when you had the wheel off?
Dan G37 (03-21-2018)

Quick Reply: Clunking noise when driving over bumps?