2009 G37x Suspension Clunk | Front Strut Mounts

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2018, 10:06 PM
Botlerocketwar
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 G37x Suspension Clunk | Front Strut Mounts

Hi All,

I've got a 2009 G37x, approximately 130,000 miles. There has been a consistent suspension clunk coming from the front since I purchased the vehicle about 5,000 miles ago. It's always there on bumps, but especially bad on rough roads.

I had it into a mechanic many months ago, and they were relatively certain that it's due to strut mounts. The rest of the front suspension was found to be quite solid, i.e. ball joints and sway bar links.

With the above in mind:
  1. Has anyone had a front suspension clunk on this car, resolved by replacing the front strut mounts? I can't be the first, but am finding very little in my internet searches.
  2. Has anyone replaced their front strut mounts, struts, and springs OEM/100% stock replacements? If so, what did you go with?
  3. Has anyone replaced the front mounts, struts, and springs by using the spring + shock combos available online? This would make the job significantly easier if I choose to do it myself.
All input welcome and appreciated!
Old 03-12-2018, 08:55 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Unfortunately w/ the AWDs you're very limited on shock choices if you want to keep stock height. There have been cases where just the upper mounts were replaced. These are liquid filled and will become noisy if they fail or are very worn. Unless you want to lower your G you're pretty much limited to OEM. I've heard Koni makes a mount that can adapt their shocks to the X application, but not 100% sure on that.
Old 03-13-2018, 08:39 PM
petemo94
Registered Member

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Botlerocketwar
Hi All,

I've got a 2009 G37x, approximately 130,000 miles. There has been a consistent suspension clunk coming from the front since I purchased the vehicle about 5,000 miles ago. It's always there on bumps, but especially bad on rough roads.

I had it into a mechanic many months ago, and they were relatively certain that it's due to strut mounts. The rest of the front suspension was found to be quite solid, i.e. ball joints and sway bar links.

With the above in mind:
  1. Has anyone had a front suspension clunk on this car, resolved by replacing the front strut mounts? I can't be the first, but am finding very little in my internet searches.
  2. Has anyone replaced their front strut mounts, struts, and springs OEM/100% stock replacements? If so, what did you go with?
  3. Has anyone replaced the front mounts, struts, and springs by using the spring + shock combos available online? This would make the job significantly easier if I choose to do it myself.
All input welcome and appreciated!
#1 - I had a clunk. Thought it was the strut. Turned out to be the steering tie-rod. Go under your car, grab the tie rod (lowest part of the suspension that attaches to the wheel). Shake the **** out of it, and if it clunks, you got your problem. If not the tie-rod, next could be your upper strut mounts. Other Options: sway bar end links ($15-$20 to replace) - they typically go bad and clunk; sway bar bushing (in center of bar) - doubt its that but simple to replace.

#2 - I just replaced my entire suspension (F&R) with Koni adjustable in the front and KYB in the rear. Fronts are tricky due to spring compression, but if you take your time, do the research, you can do it. Get the RIGHT tools too. The rear struts are held on by 3 bolts and a single nut to keep the shock mounts onto the shock. 4 bolts in all per side. Rears are very doable too. Koni are expensive and their quality is not what they used to be (had 2 distinct problems while installing) but I really liked the KYB's Excel (RockAuto). They are slightly stiffer than OEM and are solid choices to replace your OEMs. Knowing what I know now, KYB ride and feel better than the more expensive Koni's.

#3 - I've done shock/spring combos on other cars, not on the G. If you are worried about the spring compression step, just take the entire assembly to a local shop, pay them $75 (1 hour of labor?) and have them do it. WELL WORTH the extra cost to have them take the risk. Its no sweat for them to do that for you.

My logic is if I do this type of work myself, I treat myself to new tools to help my cause. In this case, getting an electric impact wrench (like a Dewalt) is WELL WORTH the extra cost to make this job very easy.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Old 03-13-2018, 10:26 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
petemo, nice reply, but he has an AWD, so the shock applications are even more limited
Old 03-14-2018, 05:20 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 505 Likes on 435 Posts
I had a clunk in my front suspension over bumps and elevation changes.

Turned out the sway bar bushings had rounded out inside, allowing the sway bar to shift oh-so-slightly.

Old 03-14-2018, 04:10 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Except the stock rubber bushing don't wear like that.
Old 03-14-2018, 04:39 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 505 Likes on 435 Posts
He didn't mention if he was stock

At 130K, I can't imagine the OE dampers, if they haven't been replaced, aren't shot.
Old 03-16-2018, 02:35 PM
Botlerocketwar
Registered Member

Thank you for the thoughtful responses, especially petemo94. Very much appreciated.

I understand the proposals for other components to check, but in this case, I think I have to go with the mechanic's diagnosis. They've found more complex issues on more complicated cars for me in the past, and more efficiently than any other shop I've been to. I'm consistently impressed. With that said, I think I am sold on replacing the strut mounts and the struts due to the shared labor.

I am struggling to find a solid tutorial on this site or any others for replacing the struts/mounts/springs on the front, and especially on the AWD sedan. Can someone please point me to some of these?

It will be $1,000 for the mechanic, including parts (Sachs struts and mount), and 4 wheel alignment. I could do it with FCS strut/spring combo (without having to compress springs) for about $250 myself. Considering those options still.
Old 08-19-2018, 05:23 PM
Botlerocketwar
Registered Member

As a followup, I did end up replacing the strut mounts, the struts, and the front sway bar links - all completed by one of the more highly rated mechanics in the San Francisco bay area. This was as expensive as it sounds. For the most part, the clunk / sounds of looseness remains. Very disappointing.

Interestingly, multiple mechanics have seen the vehicle since. They have each found all components of the front and rear suspension to be extremely solid and intact, i.e. nobody can find anything that might be causing the internal-sounding clunk over rough or uneven surfaces (mostly only noticeable at low speed).

Anyone with any other ideas? I have a few other discussions about this same issue, and am not coming up with a great approach other than to try replacing random components, i.e. control arm bushings, tie rods, etc...
Old 08-19-2018, 06:25 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Brake calipers.
Old 09-12-2018, 09:01 AM
Rich11G37xS
Registered Member

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
My 2011 G is clunking in the front end, when I first start the car and turn the wheel and backup up, clunk...was worried that it was the axle, but no loss of power, drove it 650 miles to OC Md. and back, with zero issues. ...but backing out and turning my wheel it clunks....control arms, ball joints ?? I don't think its bearrings, Ive had that on my Altima...help, just want that sound gone !!
Old 09-12-2018, 03:38 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Axles or bearings.
Old 09-12-2018, 07:20 PM
Rich11G37xS
Registered Member

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
I don't think its the bearrings...I had bad wheel bearrings on my Altima. Someone said being AWD that if it was the axle Id be losing power, which Im definitely not. I swear I only hear it I turn the steering wheel to back up or pull out slowly not really noticing it going fast if that makes any sense.
Old 09-12-2018, 08:20 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

I suppose you could have loose bolts at the lower end end of the damper where it bolts to the front hub. Losing power is not a reliable system of failing CV joints.
Old 09-13-2018, 09:17 AM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
Originally Posted by Rich11G37xS
I don't think its the bearrings...I had bad wheel bearrings on my Altima. Someone said being AWD that if it was the axle Id be losing power, which Im definitely not. I swear I only hear it I turn the steering wheel to back up or pull out slowly not really noticing it going fast if that makes any sense.
If its a front axle, not necessarily. The G is mostly operating in RWD mode most of the time... I had a busted front axle that I drove on for a while, it would mostly make a ton of noise at higher speeds after driving for a while...when I finally replaced it, it was so busted it came out in two pieces

Quick Reply: 2009 G37x Suspension Clunk | Front Strut Mounts