Review Hotchkis F/R sways on my X - MyG37

Hotchkis F/R sways on my X

Old 03-09-2018, 01:46 PM   #1  
Day_One

Hotchkis F/R sways on my X

The difference. My goodness... I can now turn like a hungry predator chasing its prey. On all seasons too, mind you! There is a corner I've dubbed Dead Man's Curve because there are frequently news stories about deaths there, and you always see car parts scattered throughout. Normally I take it at a pretty reserved speed, being public roads and all. Fortunately I was coming home late recently and the roads were empty, so long story short I was able to take the turn much faster without the traditional scary-*** floating feeling accompanied with body roll. That same planted feeling translates to every corner for all the beans I've given the car thus far.

Admittedly, I should have gone for the lesser of the two stiffness settings up front. The bumps are a bit too pronounced now for my daily commute. The thought was I would get more oversteer because sideways racecar. Some day I'll set it looser but it's still cold af here. The install was a bear because of this, space heater or no. I think setting the rear on the middle setting was the correct choice however.

This whole install justified me buying a grease gun because of those wonderful zerk fittings, an air ratchet for the front skid plate's bajillion bolts, and a creeper to roll around on, so it's a win even before installation. All the stuff!

I did have some install problems on the front sway. The left nut got chewed up and I essentially destroyed the nut and sway bracket trying to get it off. Dremels are ****ing boss though. Fortunately I found an OEM replacement sway bracket for $20 shipped and bought a series of washers and big ol' anodized nuts from the auto parts store so everything is now situated just fine. Of course I threw on some loctite for extra insurance.

The rear install was a bit difficult too. Since I have the X, I actually had to drop my exhaust at the mufflers, remove the center brace, and brace it at the center-ish point with my floor jack several inches lower to be able to navigate the old sway out. I snapped off one of the two middle exhaust hanger studs, so I'll probably bring that to a shop to get drilled and replaced. Fortunately I haven't noticed any drone and it passed my jiggle test so I'm calling it good for now.

Overall the install was fun and completely revitalized the way my car handles. I know there are others on this site, but I'll upload a pic of my old rear sway bar vs the new one. It looks like a toothpick comparatively.

EDIT: Uploaded pic of old vs new rear sway

Last edited by Day_One; 03-10-2018 at 11:11 AM.
Day_One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 03:17 PM   #2  
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Your Hotchkis front sway has more than one setting? Mine doesn't, though I do have RWD. Eibach bars have two settings in the front.
slartibartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 03:25 PM   #3  
Hashim

Quote:
Originally Posted by slartibartfast View Post
Your Hotchkis front sway has more than one setting? Mine doesn't, though I do have RWD. Eibach bars have two settings in the front.
I have the x as well..my front Hotchkiss bar has two settings...maybe its just for the AWD
Hashim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 05:29 PM   #4  
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Hmm, curiouser and curiouser.

The softer setting up front will make the rear livelier.
Old 03-09-2018, 05:59 PM   #5  
G37xS-Life

Quote:

I have a "X" coupe as well and my Hotchkis front has two settings as well.
G37xS-Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 11:53 PM   #6  
Day_One

Quote:
Hmm, curiouser and curiouser.

The softer setting up front will make the rear livelier.
This sounds fun.
Old 03-09-2018, 11:58 PM   #7  
Day_One

Quote:
Yep, 2 settings. Hotchkis part 22443
Old 03-10-2018, 01:33 PM   #8  
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

This is the first I've read of the adjustable fronts. Granted, I don't pay that much attention to AWD stuff but it's good this is getting publicity.