Brakes & Suspension Reviews on brakes & suspension for G vehicles.

Review Z1 Subframe Bushing Collars

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 11:31 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 506 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by PNW_IPL
Fwiw I feel a significant difference in pedal feel and feedback with the MC brace..
I noticed a difference too, although IDK that I'd call it significant.

I think there is a cumulative impact of mods, where you reach diminishing returns. Pretty sure 4DRZ has stainless brake lines, which probably stiffen up the pedal such that the MCB has less or even no impact than those of us not running SS brake lines.
The following users liked this post:
Baadnewsburr (02-14-2018)
Old 02-14-2018, 11:36 AM
PNW_IPL
Registered Member

Received 543 Likes on 435 Posts
Coming from mushy brakes mine was significant. True about stainless lines I have yet to do them.
Old 02-14-2018, 01:50 PM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac

I think there is a cumulative impact of mods, where you reach diminishing returns. Pretty sure 4DRZ has stainless brake lines, which probably stiffen up the pedal such that the MCB has less or even no impact than those of us not running SS brake lines.
Originally Posted by PNW_IPL
Coming from mushy brakes mine was significant. True about stainless lines I have yet to do them.
both good to know, very true about diminishing returns...I try to temper my expectations... I have stainless lines on mine so maybe I wont feel it as much ...at this point its more of a tinkering project than a necessity but it is more rewarding if I actually feel a difference
Old 02-14-2018, 02:43 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Hashim
at this point its more of a desire to tear up my knuckles than a necessity but it is more rewarding if I actually feel a difference and have the scars to match
fixed
Old 02-14-2018, 02:52 PM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

fixed
lmao. true.
Old 02-14-2018, 07:48 PM
bPChaos
Registered Member

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
It was a passion project for me too... after failing and giving up for like 3 tries I knew I had to get the MC brace in.

I'll be getting the collars installed next month. New urethane diff bushings are going in at the same time (black streak of death). I'm not sure which I'll feel more, but it will be nice as the diff won't be flopping around everywhere back there.
Old 02-15-2018, 03:30 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by Hashim
lol, but the challenge, and its so pretty!..shame to hear that...notice any difference on the track?
I was hoping to find out last year, but spent almost the entire year just trying to sort the Z1 tune before I could do any track days.

I have spent so much time with the MC brace already on the street that I am going to really struggle to remember a difference on track from 2 years ago. Unless it is very significant, which I doubt.

Yes, I do have SS lines and Motul RBF600 fluid. I noticed a much bigger improvement in pedal feel with the SS lines than the MC brace. So I would put your money into SS lines if I were you.
Old 02-16-2018, 05:38 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Ran my track event this morning.

The Z1 collars were pretty much invisible but I think the car behaved a tad better when using the curbs though the traction control light lit as expected. While they don't make a huge difference for me, just knowing the subframe monkey motions are checked makes me feel good with about their price.
The Pope (02-17-2018)
Old 02-17-2018, 05:29 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Well, track day was a lukewarm endorsement. Sheesh.
Old 02-18-2018, 01:12 AM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Apologies for that. It was what it was. The car may have seemed a little less inclined to power-on oversteer as well as behave a tad better on the curbs. Or, I was a little less aggressive.

Splitter has them, too. I was hoping he would chime in with his thoughts.
Old 03-01-2018, 03:08 PM
Daddy Fat Sacs
Registered Member

Received 357 Likes on 249 Posts
Installed these last night along with my rear diff bushing so I do not have experience with solely just adding the collars. With that being said in the small handful of street runs I made, the felt alot more planted in the rear and I also did not have any wheel hop. Now granted my tires are nearly bald in the rear so that didnt exactly help stay straight, overall feeling is happy with the purchase and would def like to get more seat time and track time. For now, was worth the $150 price tag
Old 03-14-2018, 01:57 AM
bPChaos
Registered Member

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
Just got the bushing collars installed, in conjunction with the Z1 Urethane diff bushings.

It definitely feels more solid, just being on the road. It's definitely a combination of the two being done together, but Seb @ Specialty Z drove my car for a little and he said he felt a bit of a difference as well.

The biggest thing I've seen was the on-off throttle response. The car definitely jabs you in the back if you are rough with the throttle, and it's instantaneous even with the automatic.

As for NVH, there isn't any more noise than I could tell compared to before, maybe a little more humming from the rear, but that's likely due to my tires more than anything.

If you're doing any work down there already, and have access to the subframe, it's a no brainer. The cumulative effect of all the random relatively inexpensive bits you can do down there is enough to convince me.
Old 03-14-2018, 05:08 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

It's a bummer so many are doing the collars at the same time as the differential bushing as it makes it hard to determine the individual impact of the collars vs the cumulative effect of the collars and bushings.

We've got some saying they couldn't notice a difference (just the collars) and others describing a definite difference (installing bushings and collars).

I noticed a difference with just the subframe bushings (mine was blown), similar to bpChaos--on/off throttle
Eyeshield25 (10-02-2018)
Old 03-14-2018, 07:54 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
^^^
You or me, Lego, or 4DRZ... one of us will do it this summer.

I'm still shocked the OP's first track day with these in place was blah.
Old 03-14-2018, 08:28 AM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Rochester
^^^
You or me, Lego, or 4DRZ... one of us will do it this summer.

I'm still shocked the OP's first track day with these in place was blah.
I was thinking the same, especially based on Z1's video showing the subframe all over the place in the before/after video...I wonder if it may be that Slarti's bushing weren't that worn as his car may be newer and the climate his car is in isn't as extreme so his bushings weren't that bad to begin with...my G is almost 12 years old (by manufacturer date) and we see a massive temperature range here which is pretty harsh on bushings so I'm wondering if I might see a bigger difference...all speculation of course

Quick Reply: Review Z1 Subframe Bushing Collars