Brakes & Suspension Reviews on brakes & suspension for G vehicles.

Review Z1 Subframe Bushing Collars

Old 02-08-2018, 01:04 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 505 Likes on 435 Posts
Thanks for the review.

I wonder how the cumulative NVH would be paired with the rear differential bushings

I made it 3 days with the transmission mount before going back to stock, but didn't notice any perceivable NVH increase with the rear differential bushings.

Originally Posted by Hashim

lol ...suffice it to say, you need the hands the size of a toddler to work in that space and you better pray you don't drop anything...I gave it a shot before I moved in the fall..no go....I'll be taking another shot in the spring when i have time/am feeling masochistic
I still have scars from that install
Old 02-08-2018, 01:36 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,571 Likes on 3,422 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
I made it 3 days with the transmission mount before going back to stock, but didn't notice any perceivable NVH increase with the rear differential bushings.
In full disclosure, I also didn't notice any perceivable NVH increase with the rear diff bushings. And while I was certainly aware of the NVH increase with the transmission mount, I decided the added driving excitement was enough to compromise on the loss of comfort, and the rare howling vibration when the resonance hits some weird sweet spot.

It's all so subjective.

Anyway, these collars are on my list for this summer. Can't wait.
Old 02-08-2018, 02:04 PM
PNW_IPL
Registered Member

Received 543 Likes on 435 Posts
I too am scarred from MC brace install. Still never found my socket and two lost bolts. Also lost my magnet down in there. As for the collars I'm going to try them after the review.
Old 02-08-2018, 03:58 PM
Calg37USMC
Premier Member

Received 83 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by PNW_IPL
I too am scarred from MC brace install. Still never found my socket and two lost bolts. Also lost my magnet down in there. As for the collars I'm going to try them after the review.
Let me know if you want a ride along...
The following users liked this post:
PNW_IPL (02-08-2018)
Old 02-08-2018, 04:21 PM
PNW_IPL
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Calg37USMC
Let me know if you want a ride along...
Thanks man. Where can I find sound clips of your ride?
Old 02-08-2018, 04:37 PM
Calg37USMC
Premier Member

Received 83 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by PNW_IPL
Thanks man. Where can I find sound clips of your ride?
My channel is Cal Williams on YouTube.
Old 02-08-2018, 06:09 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
...And while I was certainly aware of the NVH increase with the transmission mount...
I've been paying extra attention for any NVH changes and realized the trans mount is transmitting vibrations to the steering wheel when in 5th. It doesn't do this in any of the other gears. I wonder if one can say an auto trans has a direct drive gear like a manual, meaning no torque multiplication, as in 1:1?
Old 02-08-2018, 07:30 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by slartibartfast
I've been paying extra attention for any NVH changes and realized the trans mount is transmitting vibrations to the steering wheel when in 5th. It doesn't do this in any of the other gears. I wonder if one can say an auto trans has a direct drive gear like a manual, meaning no torque multiplication, as in 1:1?
I can't say I feel anything transmitted to the steering wheel.

All I know is what I've got with my 6MT. The transmission mount introduces a resonance which I hear as a growl, similar to an intake noise but less intense and more consistent. It also adds a decidedly visceral vibration, as expected, felt primarily through my STS and solid titanium shift ****. And also as expected by something like this, it gives the impression of quicker throttle response.

God help me, but I actually *like* all that. Granted, it's been almost two years now, so it's difficult to have a point of reference.

One more thing that's rare, and only happens so infrequently that is surprises me, in a way that I can't repeat on command... it hits a resonance sweet-spot on deceleration that I can only describe as a guttural howl. It's kind of shocking, and that's something I'd describe as particularly unpleasant. Hmm. If it happened frequently, then I absolutely would go back to stock.

So swinging these thoughts back to the subframe collars... based on what you're saying, I'm pretty sure I'm going to love it.
Old 02-08-2018, 09:44 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 505 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester

God help me, but I actually *like* all that. Granted, it's been almost two years now, so it's difficult to have a point of reference.
Right, but you put what, 3,000 miles a year on your car? I'd have enjoyed the trans mount a lot more under similar conditions.

Still, considering these as they aren't that much and I could DIY it.
Old 02-09-2018, 07:33 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
Right, but you put what, 3,000 miles a year on your car? I'd have enjoyed the trans mount a lot more under similar conditions.

Still, considering these as they aren't that much and I could DIY it.
If I commuted with this car, I probably would feel different. That's a fair point. So... if you liked the tran mount, but it gets too exhausting after a while, odds are these collars will be appreciated without crossing your red line.

OP, wasn't my intention to turn this thread into a transmission mount discussion, but it seemed a reasonable way to get perspective on these collars.
Old 02-13-2018, 07:04 AM
Daddy Fat Sacs
Registered Member

Received 357 Likes on 249 Posts
I was under the impression that 4th gear was the closest in a 1:1 ratio, but after rereading your statement I realized it was geared for the 7at folks in which I have no clue

So did you get to track it last Friday? Thoughts, impressions, cornering?

My collars are scheduled for delivery tomorrow and hopefully they and my Whiteline Diff bushing will be installed on Saturday. Wish I could do 2 separate installs to truly get a sense of each, but wouldnt make any sense outside of that to do so. I just hit the 1/8 track this past sat and possibly hitting the 1/4 this Sunday. Would be a great comparison from that aspect.
Old 02-13-2018, 01:42 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Track event is this Friday.

Just tooling around, I can't tell they are there anymore. And I do need to clean my throttle bodies.
Old 02-13-2018, 03:01 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
So, tell me about the MC brace.
Pretty sure most of the scars on my knuckles are from the MC brace.

Glad to hear your review of the collars. They are on my list.

Originally Posted by Hashim
lol ...suffice it to say, you need the hands the size of a toddler to work in that space and you better pray you don't drop anything...I gave it a shot before I moved in the fall..no go....I'll be taking another shot in the spring when i have time/am feeling masochistic
Skip it. Almost a complete waste of time mod, especially for the street. I had a bad feeling it would be a waste as the firewall in our cars is traingulated. Should have trusted my gut.
Old 02-14-2018, 07:54 AM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
Pretty sure most of the scars on my knuckles are from the MC brace.

Glad to hear your review of the collars. They are on my list.

Skip it. Almost a complete waste of time mod, especially for the street. I had a bad feeling it would be a waste as the firewall in our cars is traingulated. Should have trusted my gut.
lol, but the challenge, and its so pretty!..shame to hear that...notice any difference on the track?
Old 02-14-2018, 11:15 AM
PNW_IPL
Registered Member

Fwiw I feel a significant difference in pedal feel and feedback with the MC brace..
The following users liked this post:
Baadnewsburr (02-14-2018)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Review Z1 Subframe Bushing Collars