MyG37

MyG37 (https://www.myg37.com/forums/)
-   Brakes & Suspension (https://www.myg37.com/forums/brakes-and-suspension-306/)
-   -   Help Front Suspension Noise (https://www.myg37.com/forums/brakes-and-suspension/284681-front-suspension-noise.html)

llebcire 09-17-2017 04:33 PM

Front Suspension Noise

I've searched the site and haven't found much on suspension issues - either not common or I missed something in the way I searched.

2011 G37x, 67k miles

Noise from front end when going over small bumps, for instance road that's had multiple potholes filled (IA), residential streets, etc. Can't hear anything when hitting larger bumps and the it seems I can eliminate (or minimize) the noise by lightly applying the brakes. It's a rattle/clunk noise, almost sounds like upper strut mounts but seems to be from lower in the suspension.

Had it inspected and was told front stabilizer bar end links. Looking online these seem to be common and the shop indicated there was back and forth play in the link but nothing up and down - advised the noise would be caused when the wait of the vehicle was on the suspension. Advised all ball joints, etc. were tight and allowed me under the vehicle to look at the play in the links.

Does this sound like an accurate diagnosis? The replacements aren't expensive ($54 each for OEM, $35 each for aftermarket) and I believe this is a fairly straight forward job with car jacks, torque wrench and a little time. Vehicle wouldn't need alignment afterwards.

Thoughts or input?

-Eric

blnewt 09-17-2017 09:43 PM

It's not a hard job, that $50 price sounds about right tor OEM links, might consider Moog End links (not 100% sure they have an AWD application though).

llebcire 09-18-2017 08:24 AM

Thank you!

Looking for input as to whether this is an accurate diagnosis. Realize I can't be 100% sure until the parts are replaced but don't want to replace them if they aren't the root cause.

-Eric

blnewt 09-18-2017 09:20 AM

Hard to diagnose via the internet, if the shop seems like a well run place and you've had previous good experience there I would trust their opinion, and it sounds like a reasonable analysis.

Surfnazi 09-22-2017 10:59 AM

It's the end links the rubber boot tore open letting grease out so it clicks when you go over bumps slow

llebcire 09-22-2017 07:07 PM

Thank you! Sounds like you have experience with this issue.

Job seems pretty easy so I'll do it in the next 2 weeks or so.

-Eric

supreme 09-22-2017 09:19 PM

End links - a big pain when failing.

However, they are VERY easy to install. MOOG FTW. Greasable is good if you want - otherwise get the ones without the nips. :BOOBIES:

Almost wish I opted out of them due to the service I had to give them. BUT - it was good in the long run. #rantover.

Surfnazi 09-25-2017 05:51 PM

Takes more time to lift car and remoce wheel then it is to replace end links

llebcire 05-27-2018 11:55 PM

Sway bar links were replaced last fall and the sway bar bushings a week or so ago with Moog. Front end it still clunky and I'm afraid I'll need to start replacing anything rubber to make it sound like a $40k car should.

However, I'm still chasing a metallic rattle (like a loose hubcap) over smaller bumps and I can make it go away by lightly engaging the brakes. Think I traced it back to both calipers:

-Eric

Surfnazi 05-28-2018 12:41 AM

Even new endlinks go bad make sure they didn't loosen up

llebcire 05-28-2018 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by Surfnazi (Post 4200157)
Even new endlinks go bad make sure they didn't loosen up

The noise I'm making with the caliper is essentially what I'm hearing over bumps.
-Eric

Surfnazi 05-28-2018 10:35 AM

Sway bar endlinks will click when you drive over bumps either bc the nut is loose or they are torn

slartibartfast 05-28-2018 01:27 PM

OP noted that lightly riding the brakes over bumps stops the rattle, ergo it's an issue with brakes or something attached to the hubs, like dust shields.

Surfnazi 05-28-2018 04:31 PM

People forget to tightened the endlinks while car is back on weight after new one is put in

llebcire 07-02-2018 12:00 AM

Fixed noise by rebuilding caliper - details in other thread.

-Eric