Brakes & Suspension Reviews on brakes & suspension for G vehicles.

Review Tanabe Sustec Pro Comfort-R Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 09:52 AM
Patton6964

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Tanabe Sustec Pro Comfort-R Coilovers

Hey guys, thought I’d give a review on the Tanabe Sustec Pro Comfort-R Coilovers. So to start off before you even consider these coilovers, you actually need spring compressors to put these on…. That’s right these do not come completely assembled…. Packing was good and shipping was fast. (Sorry I do not have a picture of the packaging) Here's what they look like out of the box.

A little about the Comfort-R

Fully Height Adjustable
Advanced Comfort Dampers made by KYB
Same high quality PRO210 Springs found on the Sustec Pro Five Coilovers
Designed for maximum comfort without sacrifice for performance
Twin tube design
Non damper adjustable - pre set at the factory
Min Lowering Front: 1/2" (Maximum Height)
Max Lowering Front: 3 1/8" (Maximum Drop)
Min Lowering Rear: 1/8" (Maximum Height)
Max Lowering Rear: 1 1/2" (Maximum Drop)

These coilovers are for DD not track use so keep that in mind if you plan on tracking the car in the future.

Here's a couple of pictures of my car on the Eibach Pro lowering springs before the install of the Tanabe's

So I had the Eibach Pro lowering springs already installed on my car and didn’t really like how my car rode. It felt harsh, worse than stock but it gave me a lowered ride which is what they are supposed to do. After a couple months on the Eibach’s I wanted to keep the same drop but wanted a better feeling ride, after some research I went with the Tanabe Sustec Pro Comfort-R Coilovers. ABSOULTLY LOVE THESE!!! IMO I think these ride better than stock while giving you a lowered aggressive look. I couldn’t be happier with how these turned out and how great they ride. When I was lowered on the Eibach’s it dropped my car to about 26 Ľ” in the front and 27” in the rear (both measurement are from the ground to the bottom of the wheel well). After installing the Tanabe’s I sit at 25” in the front and 26” in the rear. So I did end up going a little lower, right now I only rub going in and out of my garage… Driving around town there was a night and day difference. On the Eibach’s it felt like it was always clunky and sloppy. The Tanabe’s feel great, Zero clunk, zero slop, no real bounce going over dips at high speeds. Without a doubt these are better than stock setup and better than the Eibach’s. Also I didn’t want to go really low because I didn’t want to spend more money to get adjustable arms or a chamber kit. After getting an alignment everything tucks nicely and so far I do not think I will need the control arms or chamber kit. In short I would recommend these to people who are wanting to lower their car’s while keep a great ride quality. Here's what I look like after the install

The following users liked this post:
blnewt (08-09-2017)
Old 08-09-2017, 11:01 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Great write-up, glad you are so impressed w/ your "new" ride! Do you think the minimum drop is accurate, if so that would be a great choice for those wanting to keep things mild. And as we can see from your deep drop, they can go wild too

Nice job!
Old 08-09-2017, 01:42 PM
Patton6964

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
Great write-up, glad you are so impressed w/ your "new" ride! Do you think the minimum drop is accurate, if so that would be a great choice for those wanting to keep things mild. And as we can see from your deep drop, they can go wild too

Nice job!
Thanks Brad! I think it's actually lower than 1/2. Out of the box I was already lower then the Eibachs, then I only did 3 full turns to get to the height i'm at now. So I would say its probably closer to 1in maybe even 1.5
Old 08-23-2017, 10:36 PM
yonith

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Ugh I really wish they made something like this for us AWD folks. I'm trying to plan ahead for when my FA 500's die on me.
Old 08-24-2017, 03:31 PM
future62

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts
Wow, I'm guessing coupe fenders are more aggressive than sedan ones.... 25" in front is very low!

Looks good. They sound a lot like the Tein Basis Zs which are also really comfortable for coilovers.
The following users liked this post:
Patton6964 (08-25-2017)
Old 02-15-2018, 01:57 PM
myz8a4re

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What happened with the Tanabe sustec coilovers? I don't really hear much these days about them. Did their quality go downhill or something? I remember reading a while back that ppl were having issues with the shocks leaking and customer support on the issue. I would have assumed they got this figured out by now. Or not? Can anyone comment on them?

Last edited by myz8a4re; 02-15-2018 at 02:02 PM. Reason: Friggin corrective text