2008 G37 Coupe Ride Height

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 12:41 AM
slovell1
Registered Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2008 G37 Coupe Ride Height

I just bought an 08 G37 Coupe base model that's been lowered too much for my taste and comfort. From what I can see it's been lowered with springs, not coilovers. I'd like to get the ride height back up at least an inch or so and get some suspension travel back. Should I be looking for a used set of OEM coils or a decent set of coilovers? Can I get the ride height back up to where it's close to stock with coilovers? Will any OEM coils from any model G37 coupe work with my coupe? I like the look and handling of a small drop but this car's down at least two inches and and too harsh for me. I'm an old retired fart and my back and butt ain't what they used to be. Any advice/opinions will be appreciated.
Thanks, Sam
Old 05-26-2017, 12:55 AM
bPChaos
Registered Member

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
As yours is a base model, any model year G37 Coupe suspension will work with your car, and is a simple straightforward swap.

As for OEM vs. coils, it depends on what you want. Cost-wise, used OEM suspension will likely be the cheapest since people swap out for coilovers (I have two sets of sport suspension in my garage) and will probably offer you the simplest and headache free solution.

Most coilovers can do a mild drop, with some able to get back to factory. But options can vary wildly in terms of adjustment range, price, function and quality.

What's the intended purpose of the car? Daily driver, occasional canyon carver? And what's your price range? We can further narrow your options from there.
Old 05-26-2017, 07:22 AM
monytx
Registered Member

Received 116 Likes on 109 Posts
Hello Sam, I've got a set of OEM struts with the springs that I'm willing to give to you if you just pay for shipping. It's been over a year since I've sold the car and the suspension is just sitting in my garage taking up space. They came of a 2008 G37s coupe. LMK if you're interested

As far as getting your car back to a more comfortable ride? OEM will do it, however it will be back to the height that everyone complains about. Google images for stock height G37's and if you don't mind the height go for it. Now coilovers are great as well as you can adjust height to your liking as well as damping. bPChaos is on point with his questions and advice.
Old 05-26-2017, 09:04 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Welcome to the site slovell, nice advice above along w/ a very kind offer

For a mild drop that you can get to just the height you want and not break the bank the Tein Basis Z is a good option, they are about $500 shipped and if you keep it mild you might get by without camber kits, although a rear kit is typically needed for another $160.
G/L
Old 05-26-2017, 11:20 AM
slovell1
Registered Member

Originally Posted by monytx
Hello Sam, I've got a set of OEM struts with the springs that I'm willing to give to you if you just pay for shipping. It's been over a year since I've sold the car and the suspension is just sitting in my garage taking up space. They came of a 2008 G37s coupe. LMK if you're interested

As far as getting your car back to a more comfortable ride? OEM will do it, however it will be back to the height that everyone complains about. Google images for stock height G37's and if you don't mind the height go for it. Now coilovers are great as well as you can adjust height to your liking as well as damping. bPChaos is on point with his questions and advice.
Thank you for your very generous offer and I'll be more than happy to pay the shipping and take them off your hands, just tell me how you want to proceed and I'll take care of it. I think going back to stock ride height is the best option for the terrible roads in my area. Let me know.
Regards, Sam

Last edited by slovell1; 05-26-2017 at 11:54 AM.
Old 05-26-2017, 11:53 AM
slovell1
Registered Member

Originally Posted by bPChaos
As yours is a base model, any model year G37 Coupe suspension will work with your car, and is a simple straightforward swap.

As for OEM vs. coils, it depends on what you want. Cost-wise, used OEM suspension will likely be the cheapest since people swap out for coilovers (I have two sets of sport suspension in my garage) and will probably offer you the simplest and headache free solution.

Most coilovers can do a mild drop, with some able to get back to factory. But options can vary wildly in terms of adjustment range, price, function and quality.

What's the intended purpose of the car? Daily driver, occasional canyon carver? And what's your price range? We can further narrow your options from there.
I retired two months ago and was getting a bit bored so I started looking around for a project car. I ran across this G37 on CL for $5500, it's got 79K on the car and 42K on the engine. It's an automatic tranny which I haven't had in years, my knees aren't what they used to be. I've got a beautiful bought new garage kept 04 Mazda 6s with a manual trans if/when I start missing shifting gears. One of the previous owners had put the long down tube cold air intakes on it then ran it through a deep spot of water thus hydrolocking and killing the engine. The car ended up at auction and was bought by the guy I got it from who installed the 42K engine and had the paperwork to verify the mileage. It's got lowering springs with OEM struts on it plus a nice cat delete full exhaust. The car's so low that if I'm not very careful the exhaust will drag on high spots in the road. The exhaust is a little blatty on throttle but almost silent at freeway speeds, I can live with that. It's still got the Injen cold air intakes on it that killed the previous engine which I'm planning on replacing with the K&N short tube system. Why would you put your air filters in a position where they'll suck up water and they're not serviceable with disassembling part of the car? Maybe I'm just old and don't get it? In my thinking I would believe the shorter the tube the faster the airflow response to the motor. It's a decent car and so far I'm having fun with it and I just want to change a few things. It's not perfect but there's nothing on it that can't be repaired or replaced. I'm using it just to tool around some and have fun with it with the occasional trip up to the mountains.
Regards, Sam
Old 05-26-2017, 11:55 AM
slovell1
Registered Member

Originally Posted by blnewt
Welcome to the site slovell, nice advice above along w/ a very kind offer

For a mild drop that you can get to just the height you want and not break the bank the Tein Basis Z is a good option, they are about $500 shipped and if you keep it mild you might get by without camber kits, although a rear kit is typically needed for another $160.
G/L
Thanks for the reply and I'll look into it.
Regards, Sam
Old 05-26-2017, 12:25 PM
monytx
Registered Member

Originally Posted by slovell1
Thank you for your very generous offer and I'll be more than happy to pay the shipping and take them off your hands, just tell me how you want to proceed and I'll take care of it. I think going back to stock ride height is the best option for the terrible roads in my area. Let me know.
Regards, Sam
You bet, I've got no use for them. Check your inbox.
Old 05-31-2017, 09:55 AM
monytx
Registered Member

Originally Posted by slovell1
I retired two months ago and was getting a bit bored so I started looking around for a project car. I ran across this G37 on CL for $5500, it's got 79K on the car and 42K on the engine. It's an automatic tranny which I haven't had in years, my knees aren't what they used to be. I've got a beautiful bought new garage kept 04 Mazda 6s with a manual trans if/when I start missing shifting gears. One of the previous owners had put the long down tube cold air intakes on it then ran it through a deep spot of water thus hydrolocking and killing the engine. The car ended up at auction and was bought by the guy I got it from who installed the 42K engine and had the paperwork to verify the mileage. It's got lowering springs with OEM struts on it plus a nice cat delete full exhaust. The car's so low that if I'm not very careful the exhaust will drag on high spots in the road. The exhaust is a little blatty on throttle but almost silent at freeway speeds, I can live with that. It's still got the Injen cold air intakes on it that killed the previous engine which I'm planning on replacing with the K&N short tube system. Why would you put your air filters in a position where they'll suck up water and they're not serviceable with disassembling part of the car? Maybe I'm just old and don't get it? In my thinking I would believe the shorter the tube the faster the airflow response to the motor. It's a decent car and so far I'm having fun with it and I just want to change a few things. It's not perfect but there's nothing on it that can't be repaired or replaced. I'm using it just to tool around some and have fun with it with the occasional trip up to the mountains.
Regards, Sam
Sam, I just saw these. They're the OEM intake

https://www.myg37.com/forums/private...ir-intake.html

You could always take out the Injen's and sell those.
Old 05-31-2017, 12:48 PM
slovell1
Registered Member

I'm doing a trade with member Lucas for a pair of OEM's with hardware for the Injen's. Thanks for the heads up on the listing.
Sam
Old 06-08-2017, 09:38 PM
slovell1
Registered Member

I had the oem Sport suspension put on my car today and the Swift lowering springs removed. It feels like to me that the Sport suspension is stiffer than what was on it even though the ride height is higher. Maybe I'm nuts.
Old 06-08-2017, 11:45 PM
bPChaos
Registered Member

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
It could very well be. I don't know the exact spring rates of the base model suspension, but it's very softly sprung from the factory. The swifts may not have been much higher.

That being said, your ride quality should be quite a bit better, considering the valving in the dampers are matched to the springs and developed for the car.

Hopefully everything works out for you!