Sedan Shock Upgrades: Options?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 06:37 PM
ReplicaR
Registered Member

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts
Sedan Shock Upgrades: Options?

Hey guys, planning on running my car in SCCA F-Street class, where the only allowed suspension upgrades are, alignment with factory equipment, change of one sway bar, and dampers. I've got the first two down, however I'm having a difficult time finding damper package that will fit the car. Koni can't confirm if the shocks that fit G37 Coupe and 370Z will fit on sedan as well, coilovers aren't allowed. Can someone please show some insight on this topic? This is for a factory Sport package, so I think I already have the best OEM shock available for sedans.
Old 04-17-2017, 09:21 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
There's quite a few that run Konis on their Sedans, Lego Maniac is one that comes to mind, I haven't heard any issues that he had w/ fitment.
Old 04-17-2017, 09:25 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 506 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by ReplicaR
Hey guys, planning on running my car in SCCA F-Street class, where the only allowed suspension upgrades are, alignment with factory equipment, change of one sway bar, and dampers. I've got the first two down, however I'm having a difficult time finding damper package that will fit the car. Koni can't confirm if the shocks that fit G37 Coupe and 370Z will fit on sedan as well, coilovers aren't allowed. Can someone please show some insight on this topic? This is for a factory Sport package, so I think I already have the best OEM shock available for sedans.
Koni has never tried the shocks on a sedan, so they won't confirm fit. Someone on here was the test car for the coupe.

I can confirm they fit a sedan.
Old 04-17-2017, 09:41 PM
PNW_IPL
Registered Member

Received 543 Likes on 435 Posts
I have some low mileage IPL struts
Old 04-17-2017, 09:41 PM
ReplicaR
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
Koni has never tried the shocks on a sedan, so they won't confirm fit. Someone on here was the test car for the coupe.

I can confirm they fit a sedan.
That's great that you have confirmed the fitment on the sedan, it's pretty much exactly what I was looking for. Did you notice any difference dimensionally when compared to stock shock absorber? I've heard somewhere that 370Z and G37 Coupe rear shocks are shorter than sedan. Should make no difference in terms of alignment, since the spring is located on the control arms, separate of the damper.
Old 04-17-2017, 09:43 PM
ReplicaR
Registered Member

Originally Posted by PNW_IPL
I have some low mileage IPL struts
I'd prefer going with known shocks adjustable shocks, rather than whatever the valving is inside of the IPL shock. Since I have sport package already, for all I know the valving can be identical, and my shocks are in excellent condition.
Old 04-18-2017, 06:17 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

That's great that you have confirmed the fitment on the sedan, it's pretty much exactly what I was looking for. Did you notice any difference dimensionally when compared to stock shock absorber? I've heard somewhere that 370Z and G37 Coupe rear shocks are shorter than sedan. Should make no difference in terms of alignment, since the spring is located on the control arms, separate of the damper.

Aside from being a little more substantial, I didn't notice any difference.

Here was my initial thread:
https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...-my-sedan.html

If you go this route, pay special attention to the front lower spring perch, if mounted upside down, it will raise the car.
Old 04-18-2017, 09:36 AM
ReplicaR
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
Aside from being a little more substantial, I didn't notice any difference.

Here was my initial thread:
https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...-my-sedan.html

If you go this route, pay special attention to the front lower spring perch, if mounted upside down, it will raise the car.
In your initial thread you said that you might not be able to adjust the rear shocks whIle on the car. Could you elaborate more to that point? I've heard that people on 370z just have up lift the corner, and the adjustment screw is accessible. Is that not the case with G37 sedan?
Old 04-18-2017, 10:42 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

In your initial thread you said that you might not be able to adjust the rear shocks whIle on the car. Could you elaborate more to that point? I've heard that people on 370z just have up lift the corner, and the adjustment screw is accessible. Is that not the case with G37 sedan?
It's not really a screw, it's a 2.5mm hex key that sweeps from side to side, it's a tight fit, but probably doable.

I don't track my car, so it's kinda a set it and forget it thing.
Old 04-18-2017, 12:40 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
It's rare that anyone makes dampers specifically for the sedan. During my research for creating the list of sedan coil-overs, not one mention the G37 at all, they're made for the 370Z. Since the G is a stretch Z, the parts fit. However, it seems the G has deeper rear wells leading to droopy butt on some dampers. Most coil-overs can be adjusted to fix this but some, like KW, can't and KW voids their warranty if you use a KW-supplied spacer to raise the rear. While you can't use coil-overs, this is to illustrate the Z34 focus of aftermarket dampers and the difference between the two platforms.

IIRC, Koni and KYB are the only OE-style aftermarket sporty dampers.
Old 04-18-2017, 12:42 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

^^the sedan has a droopy butt from the factory
Old 04-18-2017, 12:44 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

If you consider only the visual difference between front and rear wheel arch, maybe. If you measure the distance between underbody and ground you'll see that's not the case.
Old 04-18-2017, 01:16 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Originally Posted by slartibartfast
If you consider only the visual difference between front and rear wheel arch, maybe. If you measure the distance between underbody and ground you'll see that's not the case.
Pretty sure lolbuzz measured before/after coils and his before measure was droopy
Old 04-18-2017, 01:22 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

I don't see his name in the member list. Is lolbuzz the correct spelling? Was he banned?
Old 04-18-2017, 02:03 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Originally Posted by slartibartfast
I don't see his name in the member list. Is lolbuzz the correct spelling? Was he banned?
I had his name wrong, and I can't find the original post, but the table/measurements are in this thread:

https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...de-height.html

He measured the rears in a 6MT Sedan as 1/2" lower than the fronts

I think far too much is fuss is made over the slight rake.