MyG37

MyG37 (https://www.myg37.com/forums/)
-   Brakes & Suspension (https://www.myg37.com/forums/brakes-and-suspension-306/)
-   -   Sedan Shock Upgrades: Options? (https://www.myg37.com/forums/brakes-and-suspension/282220-sedan-shock-upgrades-options.html)

ReplicaR 04-17-2017 06:37 PM

Sedan Shock Upgrades: Options?

Hey guys, planning on running my car in SCCA F-Street class, where the only allowed suspension upgrades are, alignment with factory equipment, change of one sway bar, and dampers. I've got the first two down, however I'm having a difficult time finding damper package that will fit the car. Koni can't confirm if the shocks that fit G37 Coupe and 370Z will fit on sedan as well, coilovers aren't allowed. Can someone please show some insight on this topic? This is for a factory Sport package, so I think I already have the best OEM shock available for sedans.

blnewt 04-17-2017 09:21 PM

There's quite a few that run Konis on their Sedans, Lego Maniac is one that comes to mind, I haven't heard any issues that he had w/ fitment.

Lego_Maniac 04-17-2017 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by ReplicaR (Post 4126392)
Hey guys, planning on running my car in SCCA F-Street class, where the only allowed suspension upgrades are, alignment with factory equipment, change of one sway bar, and dampers. I've got the first two down, however I'm having a difficult time finding damper package that will fit the car. Koni can't confirm if the shocks that fit G37 Coupe and 370Z will fit on sedan as well, coilovers aren't allowed. Can someone please show some insight on this topic? This is for a factory Sport package, so I think I already have the best OEM shock available for sedans.

Koni has never tried the shocks on a sedan, so they won't confirm fit. Someone on here was the test car for the coupe.

I can confirm they fit a sedan.

PNW_IPL 04-17-2017 09:41 PM

I have some low mileage IPL struts

ReplicaR 04-17-2017 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac (Post 4126458)
Koni has never tried the shocks on a sedan, so they won't confirm fit. Someone on here was the test car for the coupe.

I can confirm they fit a sedan.

That's great that you have confirmed the fitment on the sedan, it's pretty much exactly what I was looking for. Did you notice any difference dimensionally when compared to stock shock absorber? I've heard somewhere that 370Z and G37 Coupe rear shocks are shorter than sedan. Should make no difference in terms of alignment, since the spring is located on the control arms, separate of the damper.

ReplicaR 04-17-2017 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by PNW_IPL (Post 4126460)
I have some low mileage IPL struts

I'd prefer going with known shocks adjustable shocks, rather than whatever the valving is inside of the IPL shock. Since I have sport package already, for all I know the valving can be identical, and my shocks are in excellent condition.

Lego_Maniac 04-18-2017 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by ReplicaR (Post 4126461)
That's great that you have confirmed the fitment on the sedan, it's pretty much exactly what I was looking for. Did you notice any difference dimensionally when compared to stock shock absorber? I've heard somewhere that 370Z and G37 Coupe rear shocks are shorter than sedan. Should make no difference in terms of alignment, since the spring is located on the control arms, separate of the damper.

Aside from being a little more substantial, I didn't notice any difference.

Here was my initial thread:
https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...-my-sedan.html

If you go this route, pay special attention to the front lower spring perch, if mounted upside down, it will raise the car.

ReplicaR 04-18-2017 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac (Post 4126510)
Aside from being a little more substantial, I didn't notice any difference.

Here was my initial thread:
https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...-my-sedan.html

If you go this route, pay special attention to the front lower spring perch, if mounted upside down, it will raise the car.

In your initial thread you said that you might not be able to adjust the rear shocks whIle on the car. Could you elaborate more to that point? I've heard that people on 370z just have up lift the corner, and the adjustment screw is accessible. Is that not the case with G37 sedan?

Lego_Maniac 04-18-2017 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by ReplicaR (Post 4126532)
In your initial thread you said that you might not be able to adjust the rear shocks whIle on the car. Could you elaborate more to that point? I've heard that people on 370z just have up lift the corner, and the adjustment screw is accessible. Is that not the case with G37 sedan?

It's not really a screw, it's a 2.5mm hex key that sweeps from side to side, it's a tight fit, but probably doable.

I don't track my car, so it's kinda a set it and forget it thing.

slartibartfast 04-18-2017 12:40 PM

It's rare that anyone makes dampers specifically for the sedan. During my research for creating the list of sedan coil-overs, not one mention the G37 at all, they're made for the 370Z. Since the G is a stretch Z, the parts fit. However, it seems the G has deeper rear wells leading to droopy butt on some dampers. Most coil-overs can be adjusted to fix this but some, like KW, can't and KW voids their warranty if you use a KW-supplied spacer to raise the rear. While you can't use coil-overs, this is to illustrate the Z34 focus of aftermarket dampers and the difference between the two platforms.

IIRC, Koni and KYB are the only OE-style aftermarket sporty dampers.

Lego_Maniac 04-18-2017 12:42 PM

^^the sedan has a droopy butt from the factory

slartibartfast 04-18-2017 12:44 PM

If you consider only the visual difference between front and rear wheel arch, maybe. If you measure the distance between underbody and ground you'll see that's not the case.

Lego_Maniac 04-18-2017 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by slartibartfast (Post 4126617)
If you consider only the visual difference between front and rear wheel arch, maybe. If you measure the distance between underbody and ground you'll see that's not the case.

Pretty sure lolbuzz measured before/after coils and his before measure was droopy

slartibartfast 04-18-2017 01:22 PM

I don't see his name in the member list. Is lolbuzz the correct spelling? Was he banned?

Lego_Maniac 04-18-2017 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by slartibartfast (Post 4126625)
I don't see his name in the member list. Is lolbuzz the correct spelling? Was he banned?

I had his name wrong, and I can't find the original post, but the table/measurements are in this thread:

https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...de-height.html

He measured the rears in a 6MT Sedan as 1/2" lower than the fronts :dunno:

I think far too much is fuss is made over the slight rake.