Brakes & Suspension Reviews on brakes & suspension for G vehicles.

Review Tein Basis coilovers on '13 G37S sedan 6spd

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 03:46 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 505 Likes on 435 Posts
Should consider time/price to swap suspensions. I did my install myself and while it's not at all hard, it's still time consuming. And at 40 something crawling around on concrete for an afternoon hurts that night
The following users liked this post:
Daddy Fat Sacs (02-13-2018)
Old 01-12-2018, 04:53 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
Should consider time/price to swap suspensions. I did my install myself and while it's not at all hard, it's still time consuming. And at 40 something crawling around on concrete for an afternoon hurts that night
Agreed. I have access to a lift which makes things a lot easier, but after doing a time consuming job like that my hands always ache a bit from using muscles that usually don't get used that much.
Old 01-12-2018, 05:00 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Originally Posted by 4DRZ
Agreed. I have access to a lift which makes things a lot easier, but after doing a time consuming job like that my hands always ache a bit from using muscles that usually don't get used that much.
A lift would be nice, but you probably can't have beer at your job, so it's a tough call.
Old 01-12-2018, 05:18 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
A lift would be nice, but you probably can't have beer at your job, so it's a tough call.
Haha! Probably could get away with it since I usually work in the shop after hours, but really no need. I like to get my projects done quickly.
Old 01-13-2018, 12:30 AM
future62

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts
I have done suspensions on so many cars so many times I feel like I could swap this pretty quicky. Plus I have adjusted and messed with the G's install so many times already.

Honestly the biggest PITA for dealing with suspension for me is jacking the car and getting the damn wheels off. HF electric impact gun + torque wrench mostly take care of the wheels but I need one of these to really speed up the process:

At ~$1350 it's at just the kind of price where I'd say "eff it". But I also want a new camera and exhaust which that would go a long way towards and which I would use a lot more. Its a toss up
Old 01-13-2018, 10:51 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by future62
I have done suspensions on so many cars so many times I feel like I could swap this pretty quicky. Plus I have adjusted and messed with the G's install so many times already.

Honestly the biggest PITA for dealing with suspension for me is jacking the car and getting the damn wheels off. HF electric impact gun + torque wrench mostly take care of the wheels but I need one of these to really speed up the process:

At ~$1350 it's at just the kind of price where I'd say "eff it". But I also want a new camera and exhaust which that would go a long way towards and which I would use a lot more. Its a toss up
What's difficult about getting the wheels off? Is your cordless impact getting old? That happened to me and I finally replaced my DeWalt. Amazing how much difference new battery technology makes.

That lift is not terribly expensive. Where do you get it and how much weight can it hold? It looks like it has its own compressor. It looks like it gets the car off the ground about 2 feet or similar to jack stands? I wonder if they would be short enough to fit inside the car. That would be pretty baller at a track day to have your own lift with you.
Old 02-07-2018, 01:07 AM
Kpmikey808
Registered Member

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
Get bouncier?

Did anyone experience after putting hotchkis front & rear sway - car being a lil more bouncier - feels more stiff but kinda bouncy

Im at 26.25 FTG

Konis shocks are expensive
Would tokico/kyb or bilstein fit on the tein basis & make it less bouncy & smoother?
Old 02-07-2018, 07:39 AM
future62

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts
Makes sense that stiffer sways = stiffer ride. These are already a little underdamped, so those sways made it worse.

Tokicos/KYBs are OEM replacements, so they would make the ride worse. Konis are worth it.
Kpmikey808 (02-07-2018)
Old 02-07-2018, 08:51 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Originally Posted by future62
Makes sense that stiffer sways = stiffer ride. These are already a little underdamped, so those sways made it worse.

Tokicos/KYBs are OEM replacements, so they would make the ride worse. Konis are worth it.
+1

As OEM replacements, they probably wont be well matched to the shorter/stiffer springs and will wear out quicker.

Hotchkis sways are adjustable, right? Could you dial back the settings maybe
Kpmikey808 (02-07-2018)
Old 02-07-2018, 02:49 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Hotchkis bars are significantly stiffer than OEM. The S OE dampers are barely enough to manage the rear at full soft.
Kpmikey808 (02-07-2018)
Old 05-09-2018, 08:07 PM
russerz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
Last week I installed Tein Basis coilovers on my '13 G37S sedan and it was by far the easiest coilover installation I have done yet. That is mainly due to good engineering by Infiniti/Nissan and good diagrams with suggested ride heights by Tein. It also helps to have a lift and air tools. Compressing the rear springs on the ground would be tricky.

Overall, the ride is excellent on the street. I doubted everyone who said they ride like stock as I have never had a set of coilovers ride anything like stock. The only road I notice any difference in ride is a newer road where the seams are not quite right. It does get a little bouncy, but still much better than any other coilover I have ever had. (I will update with track performance in the spring)

Fit & Finish: This is great as it has been with every Tein product I have had in the past. Everything fits well and is of good quality. This helped make the installation easy, especially with the diagrams and suggested ride heights.

Installation Tips: Do the front first as the rear are easier. Make sure you have a spring compressor to take off the stock front top hats. You will not need to re-use the spring compressor for the coilovers. There is a small steel plate on the front A-arms you can remove so you can just slide out the front shocks instead of disassembling the entire suspension. (Thank you Nissan/Infiniti engineers)

Use a lift with air tools and a tall jack stand to compress the rear spring. Set the rear spring height before installing the spring- they are much easier to adjust off of the car. The nuts for the rear top hats are inside the wheel well instead of in the trunk or behind the rear seats like usual.

Front

Rear

I put on the snow tires (painted stock '14 Evo rims) in 240/40/18 and it looks fine as it is two sizes less sidewall on the front. The stock rims and tires make it look slammed with the fat sidewalls. This is at the G37 coupe recommended settings.
New to the site & I know its like 3 years later, but does anyone know if these will fit the AWD G37 Sedan?
Old 05-09-2018, 08:30 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Does Tein list the x? Do any coils list x as compatible with RWD?

The answer is no.

The front suspension is different because of the AWD hardware.
Old 05-09-2018, 08:44 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Russerz, there are four companies of which I know that make AWD coil-overs. I do believe there is a stickied thread in Tech/Brakes & Suspension forum. Seek and ye shall find.
Old 01-02-2019, 10:42 PM
jpowersjr2
Registered Member

Received 218 Likes on 194 Posts
Bumping an old thread. I am getting ready to tackle this install on my coupe for the Tein Street Basis Z coilovers. Is the consensus that a spring compressor is needed? Every DIY and tutorial I've been through and watched mentioned nothing about it. Then again the ones I watched weren't Tein so maybe it wasn't required on them.

EDIT: Found my answer. I will need one to swap over the stock front top mounts.

Last edited by jpowersjr2; 01-03-2019 at 05:11 PM.
Old 01-03-2019, 10:46 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by jpowersjr2
Bumping an old thread. I am getting ready to tackle this install on my coupe for the Tein Street Basis Z coilovers. Is the consensus that a spring compressor is needed? Every DIY and tutorial I've been through and watched mentioned nothing about it. Then again the ones I watched weren't Tein so maybe it wasn't required on them.

EDIT: Found my answer. I will need one to swap over the stock front top mounts.
The safe way is probably to use a spring compressor for the front. If you are in a pinch to get a spring compressor you could probably just undo the top nut and jack the car up because you do not need to compress the front springs very much. It's not the safest thing to do, but it is an option. I used a spring compressor on the front and a tall jack stand on the rear when the car was on a lift. The bolts for the top rear are actually in the fender area instead of behind the seat like most cars. It was pretty easy to install everything.

Quick Reply: Review Tein Basis coilovers on '13 G37S sedan 6spd