Brakes & Suspension Reviews on brakes & suspension for G vehicles.

Review Tein Basis coilovers on '13 G37S sedan 6spd

Old 02-17-2017, 03:07 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by saywat?
so is it better to make coil lock rings same height and deal with the slightly uneven fender height or to make the rings not same height and adjust them so that the fender height is even both sides?
That's a good question. I would imagine it is better to adjust the suspension the same on both sides so that you have the same amount of travel in the suspension, and in this instance the same spring rate.
Old 02-17-2017, 04:34 PM
saywat?
Registered Member

Received 276 Likes on 238 Posts
but then isnt that wat corner balancing does for coilovers when the adjustments are made? the result will be the left to right side adjustments will not be exactly the same ?
Old 02-17-2017, 04:42 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

but then isnt that wat corner balancing does for coilovers when the adjustments are made? the result will be the left to right side adjustments will not be exactly the same ?
That is exactly right for weight balance. Most of the time you do that with a more serious set of coilovers where you can adjust the height without changing the tension on the springs so the handling stays more similar. Those types of coilovers also usually have adjustable dampening to account for ride height differences.
Old 02-17-2017, 04:50 PM
saywat?
Registered Member

i kno the tein basis z doesnt have those features but i would think it should be ok to adjust the perches even if its a tad different height to get the fender height even if thats important to u. thats jus the logic for me. lol. mine is off by 1/8 for me its not a big deal ima leave mine lol. thats not enough variance for me to go wasting my time trying to get the fender height even lol
Old 02-17-2017, 05:31 PM
saywat?
Registered Member

actually after reading more about corner balancing it seems all the small adjustments are only done on the spring perches. so technically u can corner balance tein basis coilovers if u wanted to lol . the dampening plays no role as far as dampening adjusments go. correct me if im wrong anyone? i technically havent done corner balancing before jus going off wat ive read
Old 02-18-2017, 11:42 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

actually after reading more about corner balancing it seems all the small adjustments are only done on the spring perches. so technically u can corner balance tein basis coilovers if u wanted to lol . the dampening plays no role as far as dampening adjusments go. correct me if im wrong anyone? i technically havent done corner balancing before jus going off wat ive read
You are right, you could still corner balance the Tein Basis, but it will change the spring & shock compression amount like I mentioned earlier. Compare this to a more expensive Tein coilover where you can adjust the height without changing the spring compression. You are also able to adjust the compression and rebound on most high end coilover dampers to counter any overall height change.

Like you said, I doubt I would notice any ride or handling difference over a measly 1/4" difference on any one side.
Old 11-09-2017, 05:15 PM
Marcel4t
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Resurrection of 9 month old thread! So, I'm ready to pull the trigger and buy a set of Basis. 13 Sedan Journey. Question I have, is were you able to get it aligned well without using front adjustable control arms? I am thinking of getting the SPC control arms, Kinetix Racing Camber Arms and SPC rear camber bolts. Is it over kill to get all of that? Im not slamming my car. I just want to get everything installed at once without just installing COs and then realizing I need to get the other parts installed too.
Thanks
Old 11-09-2017, 10:20 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
If you keep the drop 1.5" or less you should be able to get reasonable wear in front since the toe is fully adjustable without the aftermarket camber arms. If you drop deeper than that it will get harder to keep the extra camber from shortening your tire life.

I would consider SPC camber arms vs. the Kinetix, shouldn't cost much more and are pretty solid parts IME.
The following users liked this post:
Marcel4t (11-10-2017)
Old 11-10-2017, 01:57 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Most people run about 26" - 26.5" center of fender to floor. That is where I am at and I just have Voodoo rear camber arms. I run about -1.5 camber all around. It may be a touch aggressive in the front for just street driving.
Old 11-10-2017, 04:46 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
I run -2º both front and rear at stock height without undue wear.
Old 11-10-2017, 05:10 PM
future62

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts
I think my springs have settled. Car looks lower and with the SPC FUCA I'm banging over big bumps
Old 11-11-2017, 12:30 AM
Kpmikey808
Registered Member

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
What’s yr fender to ground measurements

Originally Posted by future62
I think my springs have settled. Car looks lower and with the SPC FUCA I'm banging over big bumps
My front right side will hit if i have whole family in the car & going to fast - i beleive it doesn’t do any damage - just the top nut hitting underneath the car
Old 11-11-2017, 05:36 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Kpmikey808
My front right side will hit if i have whole family in the car & going to fast - i beleive it doesn’t do any damage - just the top nut hitting underneath the car
Look at your fender liners if you are bottoming out up front. I wore my front liners all the way through at a track day and never knew it since I never heard anything.
Old 11-11-2017, 09:54 PM
future62

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts
Well there is bottoming out on the tire, and then there is bottoming out where you hit the FUCA. I've def been bottoming out on the tire; but now with the SPC FUCAs I'm bottoming the FUCA on the strut tower. I kind of want something stiffer; I might move up to the Flexes soon
Old 11-11-2017, 11:19 PM
Marcel4t
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by future62
Well there is bottoming out on the tire, and then there is bottoming out where you hit the FUCA. I've def been bottoming out on the tire; but now with the SPC FUCAs I'm bottoming the FUCA on the strut tower. I kind of want something stiffer; I might move up to the Flexes soon
How low a drop do you have that it's bottoming out the FUCA?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Review Tein Basis coilovers on '13 G37S sedan 6spd