Popping sound when turning left... any help.

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2015, 08:28 PM
monytx
Registered Member

Received 116 Likes on 109 Posts
Probably could have been the tires rubbing on rocks or some sort... Did you hear any creaking?
Old 03-11-2015, 10:44 PM
Simba989

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Check the torque on your lug nuts. This used to happen to a friend's CTS-V, they checked over the suspension and called in an expert. Torquing the lugs the was their solution for him, and even if it isn't a guaranteed fix for you, its worth a try.
The following users liked this post:
Al Czervik (01-19-2016)
Old 03-14-2015, 10:52 AM
juan goose
Premier Member

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
my drive way to my house is gravel and a mix of dirt and sand so that could maybe. this weekend i plan on getting a good cleaning of the rims so ill unmount them to clean and retorque it to check for that possible tip
Old 01-19-2016, 02:21 PM
stevo4756
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by juan goose
my drive way to my house is gravel and a mix of dirt and sand so that could maybe. this weekend i plan on getting a good cleaning of the rims so ill unmount them to clean and retorque it to check for that possible tip
Ever figure this out?
Old 10-06-2016, 11:30 PM
xeus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey guys, I know this is an old thread but I am experiencing the same problem and I am dying to know to cause of it. Since the thread is dead, I am assuming that some of you found the cure for it and did not continue to investigate the issue any further. I greatly appreciate any input. I have found 3 different threads regarding the same issue, so I will post this reply to each one of them. So, do not rant if you see the same post. I am just trying to reach out to as many people as I can.

I live in Arkansas and it does not get that cold up here in there mornings yet. Every morning when it is below 70 F, I hear that pop and it feels like the steering wheel jerks slightly, after I backed up the car from the drive and turn right. In addition to that feeling and popping sound, I have a very loud humming noise which increases with acceleration. Plus I have a knocking sound that I think is coming from the passenger side (rear or front) that when I go over slight dips. It does not happen at speed bumps or turns, only at dips. The dealership "listened to the wheel with a stethoscope" but they could not find the issue because my tires are "cupped and loud". Although I could not picture this in my mind, I did not argue with him. I appreciate any valid input rather than could be this could be that. TIA.
Old 10-07-2016, 09:49 AM
Kris9884

Received 202 Likes on 186 Posts
Originally Posted by xeus
Hey guys, I know this is an old thread but I am experiencing the same problem and I am dying to know to cause of it. Since the thread is dead, I am assuming that some of you found the cure for it and did not continue to investigate the issue any further. I greatly appreciate any input. I have found 3 different threads regarding the same issue, so I will post this reply to each one of them. So, do not rant if you see the same post. I am just trying to reach out to as many people as I can.

I live in Arkansas and it does not get that cold up here in there mornings yet. Every morning when it is below 70 F, I hear that pop and it feels like the steering wheel jerks slightly, after I backed up the car from the drive and turn right. In addition to that feeling and popping sound, I have a very loud humming noise which increases with acceleration. Plus I have a knocking sound that I think is coming from the passenger side (rear or front) that when I go over slight dips. It does not happen at speed bumps or turns, only at dips. The dealership "listened to the wheel with a stethoscope" but they could not find the issue because my tires are "cupped and loud". Although I could not picture this in my mind, I did not argue with him. I appreciate any valid input rather than could be this could be that. TIA.
The increasing hum is a wheel bearing, no doubt. The clunk is a ball joint, worn bushing or tie rod. If you have an X model it could be the axle/CV shaft. Other than those, there's nothing else to clunk up front..
Old 10-07-2016, 02:52 PM
xeus

Thanks Kris. Although, I hate to investigate the issue myself, it seems I will be jacking up the car this weekend.
Old 04-25-2019, 06:03 AM
xeus

Solved

The humming was coming from the tire(s) and also the popping was related to the tires. In fact, the dealership was right on that. I lived with the clunk for a very long time until I realized it was coming from the front brake pads. One side did not have any shims and one of the pads were bouncing inside the caliper when I drove over potholes, I realized it driving downhill over a bad road. The clunking stopped everytime I pressed the brake pedal. I hope this helps someone.
The following users liked this post:
Baadnewsburr (04-25-2019)