Need help with rear Fortune Auto 500 shock/spring install

Old 03-05-2015, 10:32 AM
LilRocket

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
big thanks jsampsell for this thread. thanks to you I was able to order the FA coils I wanted with correct rear spring height of 8". I just placed my order and now it's 2-3 weeks of desperately waiting for these bad boys.
Old 03-05-2015, 12:08 PM
jsampsell

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by LilRocket
big thanks jsampsell for this thread. thanks to you I was able to order the FA coils I wanted with correct rear spring height of 8". I just placed my order and now it's 2-3 weeks of desperately waiting for these bad boys.
Shared experiences is what makes places like this great. I've been helped by so many people here too. There's no need for others to go through the same frustrating situations if you can share and give them a heads up. I'm glad that you, and whoever else, have benefited from sharing my experience. I'd love to see a picture of the car after the installation. Happy anxious waiting. Ha!
Old 03-05-2015, 10:40 PM
P'sLPG

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I just got my coilovers from fortune auto today. I was so excited opening it all up. The top mounts have a couple minor scratches on them that happened during the shipping. Fortune said no way it got past their quality control check like that. They are sending replacement parts tomorrow.
The following users liked this post:
LilRocket (03-06-2015)
Old 03-06-2015, 07:46 PM
LilRocket

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by P'sLPG
I just got my coilovers from fortune auto today. I was so excited opening it all up. The top mounts have a couple minor scratches on them that happened during the shipping. Fortune said no way it got past their quality control check like that. They are sending replacement parts tomorrow.
if it wasn't packaged properly it is possible to suffer some scratches inside the box. Otherwise i cannot think it would be during the shipping process. Either way it's good to know FA is providing you replacements promptly and without any hassle. Can't wait to get mines. Let me know how your install and alignment results go
Old 03-11-2015, 02:59 PM
jsampsell

Originally Posted by P'sLPG
That's pretty cool that they would go through so much trouble over some scratches. This is definitely in line with the great customer service that I've received from them. Glad to hear this.

As an update, I decided to go ahead and have a local shop look over the install and tweak it as necessary based on my ride height and comfort goals. After the tweaking that they did, it seems to ride a good bit better.

Also, I finally got the rear camber kit installed and then had the car aligned. It really seems like the car rides better after the alignment. It had a small (comparatively) amount of negative camber on the rear so I've been wondering if correcting what part of the tire contacts the road actually made a difference in ride quality. It makes sense that it could affect ride quality based on how the tire is made, but it could just be wishful thinking and/or pure coincidence.

The creaking noises have not gone away. Nothing I did and nothing that these guys did made the noise any worse or any less. I guess I'm just going to have to put up with it. Every now and then I'll get a creaking from one or the other front coilovers too but I'm just going to have to let that go too it seems.

Thanks again for all of the help and advice! It is greatly appreciated!
Old 03-15-2015, 09:49 PM
connoisseurr
Premier Member

Received 182 Likes on 128 Posts
I'm curious - did anyone opt for Swift springs with a 10k spring rate up front, versus a rate of 11k? I'm curious to hear it that will make any difference in ride comfort...
Old 03-15-2015, 09:52 PM
jsampsell

Originally Posted by connoisseurr
I'm curious - did anyone opt for Swift springs with a 10k spring rate up front, versus a rate of 11k? I'm curious to hear it that will make any difference in ride comfort...
I have 10k fronts but I've never run the 11k's so I don't know how to compare.
Old 03-15-2015, 09:55 PM
connoisseurr
Premier Member

Originally Posted by jsampsell
The creaking noises have not gone away. Nothing I did and nothing that these guys did made the noise any worse or any less. I guess I'm just going to have to put up with it. Every now and then I'll get a creaking from one or the other front coilovers too but I'm just going to have to let that go too it seems. Thanks again for all of the help and advice! It is greatly appreciated!
I experienced a similar noise on the TSX I owned with coilovers. To help remedy the noises, I custom made gaskets that sit between the upper coilover mount and the chassis to help eliminate creaking noises. It does help.

Not sure if the creaking noise is occurring in the same place but it very well could be. I'll be doing the same when I install my set just to help reduce any noises between those two surfaces.
Old 03-15-2015, 09:57 PM
connoisseurr
Premier Member

I have 10k fronts but I've never run the 11k's so I don't know how to compare.
How would you rate the ride comfort compared to stock or stock shocks + lowering springs?

1 being similar to (stock*) and 5 being very stiff and bouncy.

I'm most excited to get rid of that feeling of bottoming out on my swift lowering springs. That **** gets annoying.
Old 03-15-2015, 10:04 PM
jsampsell

I experienced a similar noise on the TSX I owned with coilovers. To help remedy the noises, I custom made gaskets that sit between the upper coilover mount and the chassis to help eliminate creaking noises. It does help.

Not sure if the creaking noise is occurring in the same place but it very well could be. I'll be doing the same when I install my set just to help reduce any noises between those two surfaces.
I had a feeling it may be related to that area. The difference between the few millimeters of rubber on the FA gaskets and the inches of rubber on the stock gasket had to be at least one reason for some noise. I'd love to figure out a way to make a cone shaped gasket similar to the stock one but I have no idea where I'd find something like that, much less make my own.
Old 03-15-2015, 10:09 PM
jsampsell

How would you rate the ride comfort compared to stock or stock shocks + lowering springs?

1 being similar to (stock*) and 5 being very stiff and bouncy.

I'm most excited to get rid of that feeling of bottoming out on my swift lowering springs. That **** gets annoying.
I've not run this car on just springs. I went from stock to coilovers. However, I don't have a bottoming out feeling at all.

When I ordered, I told the guy that I wanted the most comfortable ride as possible so he recommended 10/8 springs and comfort valving. My front dampening is at 7 clicks from the softest/lowest setting and the rears are at 5 clicks from the softest/lowest and it is a good ride. Definitely not as soft as stock but definitely not stiff and bouncy.
Old 03-16-2015, 08:21 AM
connoisseurr
Premier Member

I've not run this car on just springs. I went from stock to coilovers. However, I don't have a bottoming out feeling at all.

When I ordered, I told the guy that I wanted the most comfortable ride as possible so he recommended 10/8 springs and comfort valving. My front dampening is at 7 clicks from the softest/lowest setting and the rears are at 5 clicks from the softest/lowest and it is a good ride. Definitely not as soft as stock but definitely not stiff and bouncy.
I ordered exactly what you have there. That makes me feel a bit more comfortable opening the box lol. I just need to swap those rear springs out for the 8" variant and I'll be good to go.
The following users liked this post:
jsampsell (03-16-2015)
Old 03-16-2015, 12:22 PM
connoisseurr
Premier Member

All,

I spoke with Jenn at FA this morning to get some additional information regarding valving and spring sizes and rates and she provided the following:

Custom Valving
  • Can be had per your request
  • Comfort, Street, Track, etc.
  • Just specify what you will be doing most

Spring Rates and Sizes
  • FA Recommends 11k/8k for G37 Sedan
  • 7" rear Swift spring > Will drop 1.5" - 3.0"
  • 8" rear Swift spring > Will drop 0.75" - 2.5"
The following 2 users liked this post by connoisseurr:
blnewt (03-17-2015), GS07 (10-12-2015)
Old 03-16-2015, 12:32 PM
jsampsell

All,

I spoke with Jenn at FA this morning to get some additional information regarding valving and spring sizes and rates and she provided the following:

Custom Valving
  • Can be had per your request
  • Comfort, Street, Track, etc.
  • Just specify what you will be doing most

Spring Rates and Sizes
  • FA Recommends 11k/8k for G37 Sedan
  • 7" rear Swift spring > Will drop 1.5" - 3.0"
  • 8" rear Swift spring > Will drop 0.75" - 2.5"
Thanks for adding this info! Now I'm wondering if I only thought I got 10K front springs. I remember talking about it with the guy I ordered from at THMotorsports but now that you post what FA recommends, I wonder if I just went with that. I will have to check my paperwork to be sure. Either way, I still don't have a bottoming out feel like you mentioned having with the springs only.
Old 04-12-2015, 12:32 AM
Upscale Speed
Premier Member

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
Just to close the loop on my journey with the Fortune 500 coilovers.I opted for the Swifts spring 11k/8k spring rates and 8" rear springs. I also had SPC front and rear camber kits, Hotchkis sways, new end links (Whiteline rear, Moog fronts) and a Cusco STB. The rear ride height is perfect 1.5 finger gap, there is plenty of adjustability to go lower or higher by about a full inch. The ride quality is 9/10, handling 9/10 and the noise isn't bad from the camber bushings. They squeak a little, but you can barely hear it when the radio is off and no one is talking. Overall I'm 10/10 satisfied and would recommend this combo to any X sedan owner.
The following 2 users liked this post by Upscale Speed:
blnewt (04-12-2015), jsampsell (04-13-2015)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need help with rear Fortune Auto 500 shock/spring install