Looking for advice on brake/rotor replacement + 60K maint.

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2013, 12:35 PM
koala33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for advice on brake/rotor replacement + 60K maint.

I tried to avoid the forums initially and tried to do research to figure all of this out, but I bit the bullet. Forums have always been helpful in the past so here goes.

I have an 09 Infiniti G37X w/ 50K miles on it (7/AT).

1 - When I apply the brakes I can feel pulsating in the brakes so I am assuming the rotors are warped. I am thinking replaced front and rear pads and rotors and get it out of the way.

I was wondering if this would be a good option?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pwr-k114/overview/

I figured it was a pretty descent price all the way around. I am assuming that the calipers do not need replaced?

I found a few places that will put everything on for $150. I can probably do it myself, but I am really limited on time, so I figured pay someone and be done with it.

Are there any other brakes/rotors you would recommend? Not trying to spend a ton.

2 - I have been having some issues with what seems to be my transmission.

Example: When I am at a stop light and accelerating slowly around the corner, then continue to drive straight and maintain speeds around 30 MPH, the transmission wants to stay in a higher gear and maintain 1K RPM. It is bogged down. I experience jerkiness when the car downshifts also. If I throw my car in N, sometimes I will get an PM spike, say at 1,500.

There are 2 occasions that I can think of that I was driving, and my RPMs spiked significantly to like 4K RPM. No idea what happened, but it eventually fixed itself.

So I think something is going on. I took it to the dealer twice now, and they keep resetting the ECU saying that it will learn how I drive. I do not drive conservative for the most part. I live in the DC area so there is a lot of stop and go.

I just feel as though my car is not driving as it should. It often times wants to stay at 1K RPM and drive boggy until I give it a lot of gas then it will pick up. The transmission is just not smooth. The car still has pick up, don't get me wrong.

Not sure what to do next. Any ideas? I am going to try to take it back to the dealership again I guess. I have a 100K warranty..

3 - My 60K maintenance is coming up. What is necessary, and what is fluff (i.e. a money maker for the dealership). I am assuming the belts need looked at replaced, but what about all of the fluids? What can be done DIY? I am an ok with cars, I can change oil and troubleshoot basic stuff with youtube, etc.

Any help is appreciated! I just don't want to get taken at the dealership, and would like to ensure I buy some good brakes/rotors which probably need replaced soon. Also no idea what is going on with my transmission and wondering if it is something else?

-Shawn
Old 11-23-2013, 02:53 PM
conkus805
Registered Member

Received 97 Likes on 79 Posts
Try Adams rotors, they are good quality. Possible 3week wait though, they make their rotors to order. Explain trans issues to dealer$hip and see if there is an ecu/tcu update for your car.
Old 11-23-2013, 02:55 PM
koala33

I will check that out. The dealership did updates/resets twice now, still no improvements.
Old 11-23-2013, 03:01 PM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Received 163 Likes on 143 Posts
Originally Posted by koala33
I will check that out. The dealership did updates/resets twice now, still no improvements.
To the ECU or the trans? They did both mine at the same time and so far it's been excellent.
Old 11-23-2013, 03:44 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
It's extremely unlikely that your rotors need replacement. They can probably be resurfaced. It costs <$20 each at most auto parts stores or machine shops. As far as pads the OEM ones aren't bad. Quiet and fairly low dust.
Old 11-23-2013, 04:56 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Betty
It's extremely unlikely that your rotors need replacement. They can probably be resurfaced. It costs <$20 each at most auto parts stores or machine shops.
^This.

I cringe a little whenever I read someone who writes about "warped rotors". At 50K miles, you should be totally fine. Have the rotors resurfaced, and take it to a mechanic who will properly bed-in the new pads to the rotors.

HAWK makes a quality replacement pad that's better than OEM without breaking the bank. You can buy them from TireRack, both Ceramics and HPS. Or any auto store, for that matter. I've tried both on a previous car, and preferred the HPS for completely subjective and unproveable reasons.
Old 11-23-2013, 05:06 PM
RavensMinded00
Registered Member

Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts
I bought my k114 set from rock auto for roughly $20 cheaper. They look and perform great, very happy with the decision. Make sure to flush your break system with whatever you choose.

RockAuto Mobile Catalog
Old 11-23-2013, 06:36 PM
koala33

Originally Posted by RexHavoc
To the ECU or the trans? They did both mine at the same time and so far it's been excellent.
I believe the ECU, but they may have done trans also. I will have to ask when I go back in.
Old 11-23-2013, 06:38 PM
koala33

Originally Posted by Rochester
^This.

I cringe a little whenever I read someone who writes about "warped rotors". At 50K miles, you should be totally fine. Have the rotors resurfaced, and take it to a mechanic who will properly bed-in the new pads to the rotors.

HAWK makes a quality replacement pad that's better than OEM without breaking the bank. You can buy them from TireRack, both Ceramics and HPS. Or any auto store, for that matter. I've tried both on a previous car, and preferred the HPS for completely subjective and unproveable reasons.
That sounds like a better idea to me

So take off the rotors and take them to a machine shop with new brake pads?

How long will a resurfacing last? If it will last a good while I guess that is the way to go.

-Shawn
Old 11-24-2013, 12:47 PM
conkus805
Registered Member

Non sport rotors are crap and do warp as early as 50k, resurfacing is only going to make them warp at a faster rate. My rotors are shot at 50k and I have a journey sedan, I do not drive my car hard at all and abuse the brakes. I'm sure the guys talking of rotors not warping at 50k are sport owners with the Akebono brakes, the rotors for that setup are far superior to the Non sport rotors.
Old 11-24-2013, 02:39 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by conkus805
Non sport rotors are crap and do warp as early as 50k, resurfacing is only going to make them warp at a faster rate. My rotors are shot at 50k and I have a journey sedan, I do not drive my car hard at all and abuse the brakes. I'm sure the guys talking of rotors not warping at 50k are sport owners with the Akebono brakes, the rotors for that setup are far superior to the Non sport rotors.
I'm sorry, but this is just totally incorrect. Sport or non sport doesn't matter. Your rotors are not warped, they have deposits on the surface that cause the pads to swipe over them unevenly causing the pulsation you feel in the pedal. Resurfacing does not make them warp at a faster rate. They're not warped at all and will not warp except under the most extreme of circumstances or if they are very defective. Your rotors are not shot. Non sport rotors are not of lesser quality than sport rotors. If you would rather replace than resurface them that's up to you. But what you're saying about them is completely incorrect and I hope that OP or anyone else understands this before wasting their money.
Old 11-24-2013, 02:52 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
There's no such thing as 'warped' brake rotors - Orlando Autos | Examiner.com
Old 11-24-2013, 03:34 PM
conkus805
Registered Member

Idk, all I know is that 'mine' were warped and needed replacement after 50k. I wish it was just pad deposits, would have been a cheaper fix :-/
Old 11-25-2013, 08:22 PM
Dexter_Morgan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Performance Aftermarket and OEM Parts for the 300ZX 350Z G35 G37 240SX Skyline GT-R Nissan Peformance lineup

Akebono Infiniti G35 / G37 F & R 14 Inch Big Brake Kit w/ Stoptech Rotors, 07+ Sed, 08+ Cpe

Part#: G37-41000-AKI03G37

Drilled