MyG37

MyG37 (https://www.myg37.com/forums/)
-   Brakes & Suspension (https://www.myg37.com/forums/brakes-and-suspension-306/)
-   -   Lowering Spring Question About Ride Quality, and Exhaust Leak Sound on Startup (https://www.myg37.com/forums/brakes-and-suspension/247289-lowering-spring-question-about-ride-quality-and-exhaust-leak-sound-on-startup.html)

zukeru 05-21-2013 11:30 AM

Lowering Spring Question About Ride Quality, and Exhaust Leak Sound on Startup

1. Ive been searching the forums and I cant find a post about it. I want to know if there are any springs / coilovers that will keep the base model g37 ride quality but drop it to look smexy with rims?

2. When I start my car when its cold it sounds like there is an exhaust leak / rattle coming from under the car, once it warms up it isnt there, and if I start it after I've driven it that sound is not there. Any thoughts on this?

sniper27 05-21-2013 11:40 AM

1. Swift springs are getting good reviews by users for that.
2. That noise at startup is normal.

zukeru 05-21-2013 12:22 PM

Thanks..

ttv36 05-21-2013 02:42 PM

1) If you get springs, don't get Tein s techs.
2) Possibly your heat shields?

rpm&my_G35 05-21-2013 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by sniper27 (Post 3632166)
1. Swift springs are getting good reviews by users for that.
2. That noise at startup is normal.

This ^^.

It's also important to question what size wheels the OP will ultimately run, all or part time.
For example; if you intend to stick with (similar to OEM) 17" or 18" wheels then the ride presented to you with an Eibach Prokit (a little lower than Swifts) will be similar to OEM as well. However if you combine Eibachs with 20" wheels, it get's a little rougher but far from intolerable.

How much lower do you want it to go? What do you consider 'smexy'? :)

Ryno510 05-21-2013 04:31 PM

I too am looking to lowering my car before I purchase wheels. I was planning on 19" wheels and wanted it lowered as much as to clear speedbumps but not have gap in wheel well to top tire. Also a stretch look on the wheel fitment without sacrificing the smoothness of the ride.

moonlightv36 05-21-2013 04:43 PM

1. Why don't people like Tein S techs? I ran them for the first year I owned my car and did not have an issue! But to answer your question, nothing will ever ride like your OEM suspension, I don't care what anyone says. You need to figure out how much of a drop you want and what size wheels your looking for like other members have suggested and go from there.

2. Simple, our cars all sound like they have an exhaust leak off a cold start, hence when the car warms up it goes away.

blnewt 05-21-2013 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by moonlightv36 (Post 3632392)
1. Why don't people like Tein S techs?

I don't think is S Techs in particular, but any deep drop spring like H&R or the B&G S2s I was running. Just less travel for the oem struts makes it much easier to slam the bump stops and creates a more jarring experience.

From what I've been reading some aftermarket strut/shocks w/ swift springs is a pretty good overall compromise.

Adjustable coilovers are a good option too, but retaining stock ride w/ any drop will have to suffer some comfort. Gotta pay to play :)

conkus805 05-21-2013 09:29 PM

I'll be installing the swift sport springs on my sedan this Friday. I too have been looking for a spring that has a moderate drop but keeps a pretty good ride. I'll post back with my impressions if your interested op.

Tcruarceri 05-21-2013 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by blnewt (Post 3632470)

From what I've been reading some aftermarket strut/shocks w/ swift springs is a pretty good overall compromise.

I have read a lot of good things about the swift springs but not much on shocks/strut recommendations? What are the popular choices?

MrSeafoo 05-21-2013 10:59 PM

I love my drop on Swifts. I haven't noticed much of a ride difference between stock S, other than improved handling.

buffalog37x 05-21-2013 11:57 PM

I have had my swift springs on for a few days now, definitely changes the ride but I love it. Much more aggressive, controlled feeling from the front, I just have an AWD sedan not a sport so idk how much that differs...

blnewt 05-22-2013 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by Tcruarceri (Post 3632509)
I have read a lot of good things about the swift springs but not much on shocks/strut recommendations? What are the popular choices?

Shoot a PM to Soundmike, he's running aftermarket strut/shocks w/ Swift springs and seems to be pretty happy w/ that combo, and he previously had coilovers.

conkus805 05-22-2013 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by blnewt (Post 3632557)
Shoot a PM to Soundmike, he's running aftermarket strut/shocks w/ Swift springs and seems to be pretty happy w/ that combo, and he previously had coilovers.

do you know what shocks he is using with the swifts?

blnewt 05-22-2013 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by conkus805 (Post 3632669)
do you know what shocks he is using with the swifts?

Have to send a PM to Soundmike, I don't remember the specifics :(