Ebay rotors and posi-quiet pads installed

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 04:22 PM
second2none

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
So what is a good replacement alternative to the oe rotors then? I'm not particularly fond of the cross drilled/slotted type of rotors. Not many places will resurface those and the places that do charge a pretty penny. I've looked up the oe rotors on orderinfinitiparts.com and are around 300ish for a new set. I've purchased the oe pads already. I don't track and daily the car. Definitely don't want to degrade braking performance but maintain braking performance consistent with oe specs.
Old 04-23-2013, 04:56 PM
jmann
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Funny, that ebay link says it is not compatible with '12 G37S. These are the same brakes used on '08 and up G37S models right? Also, do the sport brake pads have a larger contact area than the non-sport brake pads? My line of thinking is, under identical use the sport brakes should last longer than the standard ones. Would this theory be correct?
Old 04-23-2013, 06:00 PM
jaykellogg

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by second2none
So what is a good replacement alternative to the oe rotors then? I'm not particularly fond of the cross drilled/slotted type of rotors. Not many places will resurface those and the places that do charge a pretty penny. I've looked up the oe rotors on orderinfinitiparts.com and are around 300ish for a new set. I've purchased the oe pads already. I don't track and daily the car. Definitely don't want to degrade braking performance but maintain braking performance consistent with oe specs.
I don't need brakes at the moment, but I believe that website you referred to is the best place to buy parts. If you beat those prices it isn't going to be by more than a few dollars. I discovered that the G37S brakes are the same as Nissan 370Z sport brakes. The Centric part numbers are 120.42101 and 102.42100. If you go with slotted, drilled, or slotted and drilled then the rotors are different right to left.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:06 PM
second2none

Originally Posted by jaykellogg
I don't need brakes at the moment, but I believe that website you referred to is the best place to buy parts. If you beat those prices it isn't going to be by more than a few dollars. I discovered that the G37S brakes are the same as Nissan 370Z sport brakes. The Centric part numbers are 120.42101 and 102.42100. If you go with slotted, drilled, or slotted and drilled then the rotors are different right to left.
I saw the centric rotors listed on ebay for 200 shipped. Those are the blank oem style. I've looked at the nissan sites and have not found a pricing cheaper than that infiniti site for oe rotors. I guess its centric or oe then.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:31 PM
jaykellogg

Originally Posted by second2none
I saw the centric rotors listed on ebay for 200 shipped. Those are the blank oem style. I've looked at the nissan sites and have not found a pricing cheaper than that infiniti site for oe rotors. I guess its centric or oe then.
You might check tirerack.com to see what their prices are.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:45 PM
second2none

You might check tirerack.com to see what their prices are.
I checked there already. Their centric rotors are actually more expensive then oem.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:08 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
2012 INFINITI G37 Rotor. There's usually a code for an additional 5% off posted on the forum.
The following users liked this post:
JSolo (04-24-2013)
Old 04-23-2013, 11:19 PM
jaykellogg

Those are C tek rotors. The 120 series are described as "premium". I looked on their website, and it doesn't exactly say what the difference is.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:27 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
You didn't scroll down far enough. They offer every rotor Centric makes, as well as a number of other brands. C Tek, Premium, High carbon, SportStop.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:41 AM
jaykellogg

This is what I got on the difference between C Tek and Centric Premium rotors;

Hi,
Centric premium rotors utilize an Electrocoating finish that provides long lasting corrosion protection. E-coating is a superior electro-statically applied finish designed to withstand 400 hours of salt water exposure without rusting. Phosphate finishes utilized by other manufacturers provide only minimal protection from the elements; these finishes are generally only effective for the shipping and storage portion of a rotor’s life. The addition of heat and moisture eliminates the effectiveness of phosphate finishes resulting in immediate corrosion once installed in the vehicle.
The C Tek standard rotors are like OE.
Thanks Don

BTW, the 125 series (high carbon) are marketed as providing less brake squeal.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:14 PM
quakerroatmeal
Registered Member

Received 97 Likes on 79 Posts
I've had centric / r1 rotors before they work perfectly fine. The E-Line is just a basic cast iron rotor while the premium has the center hub painted so you would not see rust. What i did was bought the E-line and painted the hub myself which was pretty easy.

The only thing I don't like with the combo are the Posi Quiet pads. They're good at not causing a lot of brake dust but you lose initial bite. I've always liked how OEM pads feel / initial bite. Even if I have to sacrifice more brake dust.
Old 04-24-2013, 03:03 PM
SwissCheeseHead

Received 87 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by quakerroatmeal
I've had centric / r1 rotors before they work perfectly fine. The E-Line is just a basic cast iron rotor while the premium has the center hub painted so you would not see rust. What i did was bought the E-line and painted the hub myself which was pretty easy.

The only thing I don't like with the combo are the Posi Quiet pads. They're good at not causing a lot of brake dust but you lose initial bite. I've always liked how OEM pads feel / initial bite. Even if I have to sacrifice more brake dust.
I have noticed that the "bite" of the posi-quite pads are not as forceful as the OEM pads. But then again, I've only driven on them for what, 20 miles or so, so there's still quite a bit of breaking in to do. The scorching process used led me to believe that there shouldn't be a breaking in process but we'll see what the next several hundred mile bring in. In any case, it stops me when I want to stop.
Old 04-24-2013, 03:08 PM
SwissCheeseHead

Received 87 Likes on 65 Posts
This is what I got on the difference between C Tek and Centric Premium rotors;

Hi,
Centric premium rotors utilize an Electrocoating finish that provides long lasting corrosion protection. E-coating is a superior electro-statically applied finish designed to withstand 400 hours of salt water exposure without rusting. Phosphate finishes utilized by other manufacturers provide only minimal protection from the elements; these finishes are generally only effective for the shipping and storage portion of a rotor’s life. The addition of heat and moisture eliminates the effectiveness of phosphate finishes resulting in immediate corrosion once installed in the vehicle.
The C Tek standard rotors are like OE.
Thanks Don

BTW, the 125 series (high carbon) are marketed as providing less brake squeal.
What kind of finish are they putting on the rotor? The response uses scientifically charged words to make it seems like they're using something special when "electrocoating" is a generic process for using electricity to make the metal conductive in a liquid medium. The coating that they use can be anything.
Old 04-24-2013, 03:27 PM
jaykellogg

They say it is applied electrostatically, to me that means electrostatic paint or powder coat. They say it stands up to brake cleaner and provides 400 hr of salt spray.
Old 04-24-2013, 03:35 PM
HD_G37S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SwissCheeseHead
I bought BrakeLabs (R1 Concepts) zinc plated, slotted rotors and did the job in about 5 hours. I have yet to bleed the lines but the initial impression of the rotors are very solid. After bedding in the pads (60 mph to 10 mph, 90% braking force, 10 times), I can say that for the price, this was a good deal. The rotors are heavy duty pieces and I'm very happy with how they turned out. Braking is smooth and quiet and they perform as well, if not better than the OEM stuff I had. I don't have pics ATM but will take some when I get home. I recommend this part for those looking to replace their rusty OEM rotors (mine were terrible). They were sent with posi-quiet ceramic pads for $300.

Here are some pics for now:
Front

Rear

What's pads are u using

Quick Reply: Ebay rotors and posi-quiet pads installed