MyG37

MyG37 (https://www.myg37.com/forums/)
-   Brakes & Suspension (https://www.myg37.com/forums/brakes-and-suspension-306/)
-   -   Help understanding coilovers! (https://www.myg37.com/forums/brakes-and-suspension/244517-help-understanding-coilovers.html)

E_mares 02-22-2013 04:02 AM

Help understanding coilovers!

Alright guys, so I recently got my 2010 G37. Got some nice wheels, and lowered on H&R Springs, then the mod bug hit me. I wanna go lower already. BUT, I've never had a lowered car before and need help with coilovers. I was looking into getting BC BR coil overs, any experiences with them? Also, what exactly is a camber kit, and will I be needing one? Thanks guys!

socialconflicts 02-22-2013 04:23 AM

BC coils are a well known brand, but like any coilover.. sometimes u hit a miss and can get faulty ones. ones you lower your car you will by default get negative camber and your toe will be off, you have a few options here. 1. tell the place you get your alignment u want your toe in spec, with this at least you wont kill the tires within a month but you will still be riding negative camber and option 2 is buying a camber kit and having the shop align it to spec so your toe and camber will be close if not at factory settings (depends how low you go)

oh, be careful with speed bumps and if u are double guessing if u can make it... dont lol!

E_mares 02-22-2013 04:28 AM

Lol It'll probably be safer to go with a camber kit. Just more money to spend! It's lowered just a bit right now, and I do wanna go a bit lower. Tired of having a tire gap!

Vector x Prime 02-22-2013 05:30 AM

From what I hear, anything lower than an inch you will have to do more modification to the suspension like camber, sway bar and etc. Ive been thinking about dropping my car lower myself, but got damn speed bumps >_<

blnewt 02-22-2013 08:25 AM

I'm a bit surprised you have much gap at all w/ the H&Rs, they're usually pretty slammed. Those are typically springs that you definitely need camber/toe kits. Going lower is no problem w/ coils, my rears already drop 1.5" at the "highest" setting and will drop all the way until the tires are resting on the inner fender liners :)
The fronts can go much higher (like a 4x4 w/ 4" of gap) and still go slammed.
Be careful going much lower than what H&Rs drop, those stainless exhaust sleeves, front bumper lip, and rear lower exhaust tips really take a beating (along w/ your spine).

For sure the camber/toe kits is a good investment for anyone dropped more than 1.5".

Kidcane 02-22-2013 09:45 AM

^^ This. The H&R are usually slammed for the coupe.

socialconflicts 02-22-2013 01:08 PM

I was reading that with the eibachs u can get away with the drop and wont really need a camber kit

blnewt 02-22-2013 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by socialconflicts (Post 3591736)
I was reading that with the eibachs u can get away with the drop and wont really need a camber kit

Eibachs+ a good alignment shop (one that deals w/ lowered cars on a regular basis) should be able to get in spec (or very close) w/ the stock arms and toe adjuster.

MACS 02-23-2013 01:20 AM

I have Coils and no camber kit. I am about -2 all around. Tires were rotated Tuesday and are wearing pretty even. *shrug*