Help Cause of suspension squeak

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 07:13 PM
soundmike

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Steveoh187
Awesome Mike thank you for the additional pics, much appreciated.
I measured the old BC front springs, ID is right about 2.45".

Originally Posted by TVPostSound
Mike,
I understand the lube stopped the squeak, but look at your upper arm bushings, do they look like this??
Notice the bushing slipped, caused a squeak too!!
Oh wow, that doesn't look good. Mine doesn't look like that, or at least not to that extent (where it's easily noticed), if anything the arm is fairly centered with nothing extending out.

Interestingly enough, however, i have two poly "discs" on each side of the bushing, to prevent contact with the metal plates, whathaveyou, on each side where it attaches.

Edit: Pic to show the discs. Also, notice where the mounting collar extends ever so slightly above the thrust sheet collar, it falls right where i see scratches on the spring surface.

Last edited by soundmike; 02-13-2013 at 07:21 PM.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:47 PM
Steveoh187
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Looks like Swift also offers thrust sheet kits for there springs. Did your springs come with these Mike?

Swift Springs USA
Old 02-13-2013, 08:03 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by soundmike
I measured the old BC front springs, ID is right about 2.45".

Oh wow, that doesn't look good. Mine doesn't look like that, or at least not to that extent (where it's easily noticed), if anything the arm is fairly centered with nothing extending out.

Interestingly enough, however, i have two poly "discs" on each side of the bushing, to prevent contact with the metal plates, whathaveyou, on each side where it attaches.

Edit: Pic to show the discs. Also, notice where the mounting collar extends ever so slightly above the thrust sheet collar, it falls right where i see scratches on the spring surface.

My arms look just like that^^
I put my orange bushings just as you did, but I read a post from TVPost that said those are to be used as bump stops on the struts. My instructions didn't say where to put them so I assumed they went outside the arm bushings
Luckily my arm bushings are still perfectly centered
Old 02-13-2013, 08:08 PM
soundmike

Originally Posted by Steveoh187
Looks like Swift also offers thrust sheet kits for there springs. Did your springs come with these Mike?
I had thrust sheets from the original BC coils. They provide one for each end of the spring for all corners. Even the spacer in the rear came with one.

Originally Posted by blnewt
My arms look just like that^^
I put my orange bushings just as you did, but I read a post from TVPost that said those are to be used as bump stops on the struts. My instructions didn't say where to put them so I assumed they went outside the arm bushings
Luckily my arm bushings are still perfectly centered
Oh darn then. I didn't realize that part, i wonder where they go on the struts? That would explain why some photos i've seen have them, while others don't.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:23 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by soundmike
I had thrust sheets from the original BC coils. They provide one for each end of the spring for all corners. Even the spacer in the rear came with one.

Oh darn then. I didn't realize that part, i wonder where they go on the struts? That would explain why some photos i've seen have them, while others don't.
It would have been nice for SPC to clarify
I sure as hell won't be removing them any time soon, plus I don't bottom out on my coils anyhow
BTW, no need to hit the ebay auction, that MSRP was totally bogus, here's all the bushings available and probably cheaper But I'm still a happy camper as I believe those I ordered will at least work for the fronts
COILS SPRING ISOLATORS
Old 02-16-2013, 12:25 PM
soundmike

Today was wrenching it day.

Good news, i pinpointed exactly what was causing the squeak on the driver side, it's what i noted earlier in this thread.

However, on the passenger side, it's somewhere in the strut itself. With the springs unloaded, pressing the damper down caused the same exact squeak while it was mounted on the car.

Better news, the Swift + GR2 combo i'm slowly replacing the BC BR coilovers with is not squeaking at all.

The bad news? After i put everything back together, i found out the battery died on me. Gaah. It's the same one from when i made the DIY a while back -- Replacing the Battery, so about 3 years old. Not too shabby, i guess.

Yin-yang, eh?
Old 02-16-2013, 12:58 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Glad you found it Mike. I'm going to be in your neck of the woods this afternoon, if you will need help with anything give me a call.
Old 02-17-2013, 04:46 PM
TVPostSound
Registered Member

Received 114 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Betty
Glad you found it Mike. I'm going to be in your neck of the woods this afternoon, if you will need help with anything give me a call.
Leave the bat at home!!
Old 10-12-2018, 11:57 PM
Danielcashflow

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For Tein basis coilovers: THEY ARE THE BUMP STOPS. Hollow those mf’s out with a dremel and squeaking = gone.
The following users liked this post:
goldbug (08-20-2019)
Old 10-13-2018, 12:53 AM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
So five years ago.